Apple on Verizon - it's officially...

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
5,478
1
Fuquay Varina, NC
Unofficial.

In Apple's SDK new features slide, they had an item titled "Carrier Information" - While this is probably meant for developers in other countries who actually get a choice of carrier, I like to believe this is an indication of additional carriers coming to the US :)
 

Attachments


mbaran

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2008
119
10
ok fine, hdspa > evdo for the pure fact that it allows voice + data. They should have rolled out evdv.
 

Revelation78

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2008
1,507
11
North Carolina
ok fine, hdspa > evdo for the pure fact that it allows voice + data. They should have rolled out evdv.
I hate Verizon for the most part. One thing to keep in mind is EVDV is a software update for most of Verizon's network. You think for a minute if Apple said to Verizon, upgrade and get the iPhone, that Verizon wouldn't roll out the update the next day.

Common...
 

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
27,345
12,409
Dream on. Verizon's CEO went public with his desire to carry the phone. He would never have done that if he had been talking to Apple.
 

mbaran

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2008
119
10
I hate Verizon for the most part. One thing to keep in mind is EVDV is a software update for most of Verizon's network. You think for a minute if Apple said to Verizon, upgrade and get the iPhone, that Verizon wouldn't roll out the update the next day.

Common...
I don't disagree, but if it's so simple, why?

They have a huge arrangement of smartphones and that IS AT&T's only advantage. AT&T sucks, no buts about it. I still wish sprint got the iPhone. Fastest 3g EVDO network and they're already well ahead of the 4g bandwagon. Plus you can roam on all of the VZW towers for like 3.99 extra/month.
 

trajen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
521
2
What's the difference? Honestly carrier choice is just that, a choice. Everyone will have a different experience with the same provider. I've never had an issue with AT&T where I live, although I'm sure others have.

The AT&T vs. Verizon debate is stale.
 

Revelation78

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2008
1,507
11
North Carolina
I don't disagree, but if it's so simple, why?

They have a huge arrangement of smartphones and that IS AT&T's only advantage. AT&T sucks, no buts about it. I still wish sprint got the iPhone. Fastest 3g EVDO network and they're already well ahead of the 4g bandwagon. Plus you can roam on all of the VZW towers for like 3.99 extra/month.
It's an expensive upgrade, something that is being "built/billed" into the LTE network. If Verizon doesn't have to spend the money they won't - would you? However, if it meant getting the iPhone, they'd drop the money over night.
 

Revelation78

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2008
1,507
11
North Carolina
Dream on. Verizon's CEO went public with his desire to carry the phone. He would never have done that if he had been talking to Apple.
I do agree to an extent. I also see this as the apology to the Droid vs iPhone ads back a few months ago. Granted the ads were technically targetting AT&T, yet they depicted the iPhone in every one of them.

I see this as more of a "Hey, I'm sorry I want to play ball now" type of thing.
 

AbSoluTc

macrumors 601
Sep 21, 2008
4,337
2,617
psst. check out the half-rate codec AT&T uses almost everywhere. Not to mention Verizon is CONSISTENTLY rated top in voice quality by JD Power. Ha. better pick an advantage AT&T actually has
You know what's interesting? Granted I have only had a few issues with AT&T, the same amount I had with Verizon, people with iPhones or "smart" phones - don't use their phones for talking. That's down on the list. People use their phones for data.

Txting
Sms
Email
Maps
Navigation
Twitter
Facebook
eBay
Amazon
CNN
News
Games

The list goes on. The phone portion of it is something we as a society, are starting to not use more and more. It's quicker to send a text. Faster to share where you are via the web than explain it on a call. It's the trend and it's where things are going.

I use the voice portion of my phone maybe 30% of the time. The rest is 70% data from the list above.

My point? Verizon can have the best voice anywhere in the world. However it doesn't matter. Lol. It's all about the data.
 

xcrunner

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2007
186
0
You know what's interesting? Granted I have only had a few issues with AT&T, the same amount I had with Verizon, people with iPhones or "smart" phones - don't use their phones for talking. That's down on the list. People use their phones for data.

Txting
Sms
Email
Maps
Navigation
Twitter
Facebook
eBay
Amazon
CNN
News
Games

The list goes on. The phone portion of it is something we as a society, are starting to not use more and more. It's quicker to send a text. Faster to share where you are via the web than explain it on a call. It's the trend and it's where things are going.

I use the voice portion of my phone maybe 30% of the time. The rest is 70% data from the list above.

My point? Verizon can have the best voice anywhere in the world. However it doesn't matter. Lol. It's all about the data.

umm dude - did you see what I was even responding to??

oh and yes, data IS very important. hence why I want to move to Verizon who actually has 3G in my area lolz
 

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
1,717
0
Illinois
Keep in mind the iPhone is released in other countries and not just United States. Other countries use different carriers.
 

techguy866

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2010
14
0
Win/Win Situation

Two things happen when Verizon gets the iPhone that benefit us all. Most people who were willing to leave Verizon just for the iPhone on ATT have already done so. This means no more switchers (for the most part) from Verizon to ATT.

When Verizon gets it then all those people who really wanted Verizon will go back. This will make them happy because they didn't like ATT and this will make ATT customers happy because this will free up space on the network! Either way, everyone wins. Except of course those Verizon people who don't care about the iPhone and start complaining about their slowing network.
 

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
2,399
45
The iPhone won't be on Verizon until there is an LTE network (4G) that is comparable to the size of AT&T's 3G network.

CDMA is not part of Apple's game. It's an extra cost to those outside of the US for no benefit. Which would make it a US only product. Aside from iPad there is not one US only product. And iPad is being released worldwide shortly.

Apple wants to make one or 2 models of each of its products that can be sold worldwide with minimal modification (power cord and keyboard localisation only).

This cuts down on costs.

It's also why unless Sprint change to LTE there will NEVER be an iPhone on Sprint.
 

Revelation78

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2008
1,507
11
North Carolina
The iPhone won't be on Verizon until there is an LTE network (4G) that is comparable to the size of AT&T's 3G network.

CDMA is not part of Apple's game. It's an extra cost to those outside of the US for no benefit. Which would make it a US only product. Aside from iPad there is not one US only product. And iPad is being released worldwide shortly.

Apple wants to make one or 2 models of each of its products that can be sold worldwide with minimal modification (power cord and keyboard localisation only).

This cuts down on costs.

It's also why unless Sprint change to LTE there will NEVER be an iPhone on Sprint.
I used to have this mindset, until I found out that Verizon will not have an elaborate 4G network until 2015. Apple isn't going to wait that long for a Verizon iPhone.

Even in 2015 4G will not be everywhere and it will have to fallback onto the CDMA network when 4G is not available.
 

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
2,092
0
Philadelphia
I'm a layman but not stupid.

GSM network is worldwide and the norm worldwide.

If I were Apple my concentration would be on networks that are compatible worldwide.

To make an iPhone for CDMA as someone said wouldn't be cost effective for the long haul.

AT&T is huge player in wiress world probably the biggest on a worldwide standpoint.

All carriers get bad reviews.

Marc
 

Revelation78

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2008
1,507
11
North Carolina
I'm a layman but not stupid.

GSM network is worldwide and the norm worldwide.

If I were Apple my concentration would be on networks that are compatible worldwide.

To make an iPhone for CDMA as someone said wouldn't be cost effective for the long haul.

AT&T is huge player in wiress world probably the biggest on a worldwide standpoint.

All carriers get bad reviews.

Marc
I agree to an extent. One thing to bare in mind is the number of subscribers that Verizon has alone would make the venture worthwhile, even if a small percentage bought a Verizon iPhone. Also keep in mind the very first protoype iPhone was a CDMA phone - most of the work is already done.

Not to mention the LARGEST carrier in China, which I believe is the largest in the world is CDMA based - just slightly different on the radios - I think.