Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ahead of its London iTunes Festival in September, Apple is promoting its Apple TV with a bundle deal offering a $25 iTunes gift card with each Apple TV purchase (via 9to5Mac). The gift card can be used to purchase apps, music, and movies available in the iTunes Store, and the promotion is valid through September 30.

apple-tv-promo.png
Earlier this year, Apple offered a similar $25 gift card promotion that sparked speculation about a possible imminent launch of an updated Apple TV. These rumors turned out to be false, and Apple is still selling the same third-generation model that saw its last substantial update in early 2012. Though this latest promotion offers a $25 gift card, the Apple TV still retails for its original $99 price tag.

The current crop of rumors suggests a 2015 update for Apple's television-related hardware, with delays to a rumored set-top box interfacing with live and on-demand content reportedly due to ongoing negotiations with cable companies. Rumors have indicated the next-generation Apple TV may include an App Store, support for wireless game controllers, Siri integration and more, although it is unclear whether Apple plans to split the television lineup between the full-featured set-top box and an improved Apple TV or if everything will be bundled into a single Apple TV product.

Article Link: Apple Once Again Offering $25 iTunes Gift Card With Apple TV Purchase in iTunes Festival Promotion

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
Yeah... Gotta reduce the stock of these devices. :rolleyes: (But nice deal nonetheless)

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
Just Once

I'd like for it to actually work. I've never actually been able to watch a live stream and they don't make the concerts available long enough afterwards for me to watch them ondemand.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
Damnit, I got sick of waiting for the new one and had to get an ATV3 just last week. now I feel double screwed.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
I hope this is to clean out inventory of the ATV-3 and make room for an awesome ATV-4.

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003
It's embarrassing running my AppleTV after using the Amazon Fire TV.

The AppleTV is so slow and laggy — very frustrating. I know Apple is waiting for a content deal, but they really need to refresh the device.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
It's embarrassing running my AppleTV after using the Amazon Fire TV.

The AppleTV is so slow and laggy — very frustrating. I know Apple is waiting for a content deal, but they really need to refresh the device.

That is the many things that is hurting Apple TV the device itself, compared to Roku and Amazon Fire TV it is a embarrassment. For some reason Apple does not give much attention to Apple TV as much as to iPads, iPhones and Macs but I have this feeling now they are realizing the importance of Apple TV finally.

Apple needs to also get into the streaming movies and TV Shows On Demand game like Amazon Prime, at the moment it is pretty much add Apps that only work with cable which sucks because not every app works with my cable.

asmpparker

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2014
iTunes Festival SXSW

I want to know when Soundgarden and Imagine Dragons performances from the last festival will be available for download. They were fantastic and I watched them every week until Apple took down the concert.

tritonv3pro

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2013
Texas
Damnit, I got sick of waiting for the new one and had to get an ATV3 just last week. now I feel double screwed.

If you bought it from apple you could ask them to honor the GC. You could also return it and keep a look out in the apple refurb store. I believe they sell for $75 and you could just keep the $25 in your pocket for something else.

----------

That is the many things that is hurting Apple TV the device itself, compared to Roku and Amazon Fire TV it is a embarrassment. For some reason Apple does not give much attention to Apple TV as much as to iPads, iPhones and Macs but I have this feeling now they are realizing the importance of Apple TV finally.

Apple needs to also get into the streaming movies and TV Shows On Demand game like Amazon Prime, at the moment it is pretty much add Apps that only work with cable which sucks because not every app works with my cable.

i was thinking of getting my father in law an Amazon fire tv with XBMC installed. We bought him an apple tv 3 last year and only uses it for airplay and netflix. At least with the fire tv I can setup the netflix, amazon instant video, and xbmc.

ricci

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
NYC
Man! I got 4 for Christmas! Would have been nice to get some spending money !! Oh well!!

falconneil

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
That is the many things that is hurting Apple TV the device itself, compared to Roku and Amazon Fire TV it is a embarrassment.

You think? I have an Apple TV and a Roku and I can't stand the interface of the Roku. It is so unintuitive and slow. It offers a ton of free channels, but none of which I would ever want to watch. I'm going to replace it with a second Apple TV. The interface on the Apple TV just feels so polished, and I've had absolutely no problems with it being laggy or slow. I love mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.