Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Next year Apple should introduce a red 5C (6C?) and a red anodized iPhone 6. Tons more people would buy those than any of their other red coloured products.

That's exactly why Apple won't make a (RED) iPhone 6. Giving away a 5% or 10% cut on certain low-end devices and high-margin accessories? Sure. But on one of their most premium, and popular high-end devices? Not going to happen.

Apple wants to be seen as charitable, but not that charitable.

epictempo

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2008
And how we love our blue. Me thinks Apple knew something when they went with black, white and silver gray.

Terrible comparison. The gold iPhone sold like hot cakes but how likely will people pick a gold plated car? Other than a few rappers. ;)

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
A very ignorant comment.
Ignorance is bliss. My own first world problems will always trump someone else's existential life problems. Admit it, you don't want to hear about my health problems either. And it is not as if AIDS is a big unsolved problem. It is virtually impossible to become infected with HIV, if you take precautions. And when you have HIV, there is a cure that prevents AIDS and restores near normal life expectancy. There are far worse diseases to have.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Ignorance is bliss. My own first world problems will always trump someone else's existential life problems. Admit it, you don't want to hear about my health problems either. And it is not as if AIDS is a big unsolved problem. It is virtually impossible to become infected with HIV, if you take precautions. And when you have HIV, there is a cure that prevents AIDS and restores near normal life expectancy. There are far worse diseases to have.

What a terrible amount of nonsense.

Many people do not have the means or knowledge to avoid HIV let alone pay the medicines to treat HIV in avoiding AIDS.

A good friend of mine is HIV positive, and even though it's a matter of only one capsule a day, it is no picnic. Both from a health and a social point of view.

There are indeed far worse diseases to have, but the picture you paint is indeed one based on ignorance. Maybe you should shut up if you don't know what you are talking about.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
stopped by starbucks to get my 50% off hand crafted beverage so that 10 cents could go the to cause :eek:
That's pretty pathetic 10 cents...

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I'm confused. Is it (Product) RED or Product (RED)? The article lists it both ways. I had always thought that (Product) was a placeholder that should be replaced by the actual product name. In other words, iPhone RED or iPad RED, not iPhone (Product) RED.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
And how we love our blue. Me thinks Apple knew something when they went with black, white and silver gray.

Terrible comparison. The gold iPhone sold like hot cakes but how likely will people pick a gold plated car? Other than a few rappers. ;)

I think it's a bit harsh to call that graphic a "terrible" comparison, I found it insightful.

No matter how many hotcakes of gold 5s were sold, there's probably 4 times as many black/white sold, so the car-color sales chart is apt. I would guess that you could swap "Gold" for the Blue/Brown percentage on that graphic and not be too far off from the actual breakdown of iPhone sales.

And nobody buys "gold-plated" cars, of course, but a fair amount of "champagne" color cars seem to be around these days. :)

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
I'm confused. Is it (Product) RED or Product (RED)? The article lists it both ways. I had always thought that (Product) was a placeholder that should be replaced by the actual product name. In other words, iPhone RED or iPad RED, not iPhone (Product) RED.

The systematic that Bono suggested to Steve Jobs was that the RED iPod would be called (iPod) RED. Jobs was against the brackets around the product name and didn't want a dilution with another brand. The confusing compromise was to use (Product) RED.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Many people do not have the means or knowledge to avoid HIV let alone pay the medicines to treat HIV in avoiding AIDS.
So they are not dying from the decease itself, but from not having enough money in a capitalistic world. How is that even my fault? I'm not the one hoarding all the money. Ask Bill Gates why he contributes only $28b of his wealth to charity and keeps $73b for himself personally.
A good friend of mine is HIV positive, and even though it's a matter of only one capsule a day, it is no picnic. Both from a health and a social point of view.
How did your friend became HIV positive? Was it his own fault or has he someone to blame? Either way it wasn't my fault. I didn't gave him HIV and I can't take it away from him. There is nothing for me to do, except pretending that I care for someone I don't know. So your poor friend has to swallow one a day for the rest of his life. Than he should consider himself lucky. He could have had AIDS in the 80ies.
There are indeed far worse diseases to have, but the picture you paint is indeed one based on ignorance.
Exactly, I choose to ignore AIDS. Because mankind already has all the means it needs to defeat HIV permanently. The virus can be detected and further infections can be prevented. So that the decease dies with the sick person. That's almost perfect, because we all have to die eventually. Even if we don't fall ill with AIDS, our lifetime as a passive disease carrier is limited. That's what you friend is and why he can't have a social life.

This epidemic is easily manageable if properly addressed. Those African countries who tackle the problem have already reached a 90% reduction in new infections. AIDS is almost gone. Now go raise awareness for poverty. Because without poverty the outbreak wouldn't even have started to spread. And to point out the obvious: Buying a different color case from the richest technology company in the world, doesn't help with poverty at all.

MyMac1976

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2013
What a terrible amount of nonsense.

There are indeed far worse diseases to have, but the picture you paint is indeed one based on ignorance. Maybe you should shut up if you don't know what you are talking about.

Yes it's nonsense and coming from (I assume) a German it makes it worse.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
So they are not dying from the decease itself, but from not having enough money in a capitalistic world. How is that even my fault? I'm not the one hoarding all the money. Ask Bill Gates why he contributes only $28b of his wealth to charity and keeps $73b for himself personally.
How did your friend became HIV positive? Was it his own fault or has he someone to blame? Either way it wasn't my fault. I didn't gave him HIV and I can't take it away from him. There is nothing for me to do, except pretending that I care for someone I don't know. So your poor friend has to swallow one a day for the rest of his life. Than he should consider himself lucky. He could have had AIDS in the 80ies.
Exactly, I choose to ignore AIDS. Because mankind already has all the means it needs to defeat HIV permanently. The virus can be detected and further infections can be prevented. So that the decease dies with the sick person. That's almost perfect, because we all have to die eventually. Even if we don't fall ill with AIDS, our lifetime as a passive disease carrier is limited. That's what you friend is and why he can't have a social life.

This epidemic is easily manageable if properly addressed. Those African countries who tackle the problem have already reached a 90% reduction in new infections. AIDS is almost gone. Now go raise awareness for poverty. Because without poverty the outbreak wouldn't even have started to spread. And to point out the obvious: Buying a different color case from the richest technology company in the world, doesn't help with poverty at all.

That's some interesting world view you have there. :rolleyes:

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK

Giving away 30% of his fortune is a huge deal. Secondly I believe he is giving away all his money eventually. Gates is a strong role model for us all in his charity work.

There's been strong progress on poverty and the millennium goals - http://www.un.org/millenniumgoals/pdf/report-2013/2013_progress_english.pdf

GoodWatch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2007
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Giving away 30% of his fortune is a huge deal. Secondly I believe he is giving away all his money eventually. Gates is a strong role model for us all in his charity work.

There's been strong progress on poverty and the millennium goals - http://www.un.org/millenniumgoals/pdf/report-2013/2013_progress_english.pdf

He will keep 80 million dollars when he and his wife stop giving. Don't ask me for sources but that's what I once read in an article. More than enough for him and his family. But to most of the MR regulars that will still not be enough as he is the devil on earth. :rolleyes:

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Ignorance is bliss. [...]

There's been a plague of low-information posts in the recent (RED) threads, and your latest is one of the worst. Ignorance is not a state of bliss.

Ask Bill Gates why he contributes only $28b of his wealth to charity and keeps $73b for himself personally.

This is utter nonsense. As noted here, Bill and Melinda Gates have already donated over $28B to charity. Further (from the same article), the couple plans to donate 95% of their personal wealth to charity.

Still further, Bill and Melinda Gates and Warren Buffet are the originators of The Giving Pledge, a campaign to encourage billionaires to leave most of their wealth to philanthropic causes. As of July of this year, over 113 billionaires have signed this pledge. Not only is your claim about Bill Gates false, but Gates has helped to spearhead over 100 billionaires to give away the majority of their fortunes. Nobody in our civilization has ever had a greater impact on the philanthropic contributions of the wealthy than those three individuals.

You're welcome to have whatever attitudes you want about the wealthy, but you must make sure that the facts actually agree with your attitudes. Do not make false statements here. Do your homework first. Thanks!

But to most of the MR regulars that will still not be enough as he is the devil on earth.

I completely disagree. Bill and Melinda have given away more than enough.

Last edited:

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Exactly, I choose to ignore AIDS. Because mankind already has all the means it needs to defeat HIV permanently. The virus can be detected and further infections can be prevented.

You know nothing about the molecular biologic properties of HIV apparently.

This epidemic is easily manageable if properly addressed. Those African countries who tackle the problem have already reached a 90% reduction in new infections. AIDS is almost gone.

It isn't, infections are increasing in certain areas in developed countries. But you wouldn't know that.

Now go raise awareness for poverty. Because without poverty the outbreak wouldn't even have started to spread.

Get your head out of your *ss. HIV is not only a poverty problem, and before you even start. Not all infections in developed countries are preventable because they stem from unprotected sex or drug use.

And to point out the obvious: Buying a different color case from the richest technology company in the world, doesn't help with poverty at all.

Next to HIV you also don't know anything about marketing. The RED campaign is not intended to make people buy specifically products to support HIV R&D etc. The point of RED is to piggy back on planned purchases and to let producers and retailers donate part of the proceeds on those specific products to the campaign. Those proceeds DO HELP.

There is nothing for me to do, except pretending that I care for someone I don't know.

I sincerely hope that at some point you will come in a situation where you need help or support from someone you don't know. What if you had a car accident and no-one bothered to call 112, or what if you became unemployed, or critically ill? I'm sure you will at that point value what others have anonymously donated or paid as taxes to help your cause. Too bad there isn't a cure for stupidity because you are in great need of one.

Last edited:

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK

Are you for real? The whole point is that many countries, where they don't have access to all the latest drugs available in rich countries or where they are not educated in ways to protect themselves or encouraged to have unprotected sex due to religious dogma, are being blighted by this disease. In these countries AIDS is a huge problem and there is no cure just expensive drugs that you have to take for the rest of your life.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Yes it's nonsense and coming from (I assume) a German it makes it worse.
Assumptions are a good way to avoid coming in contact with facts. Like when people assumed only gays could get AIDS. Also I can change my nationality to whatever you want, if that helps with your argument. Do you want me to become German? Here is something that may help you to decide.

Number of people with HIV infection:
• Germans ~78.000
• Americans ~1.100.000

Though who knows what those estimates are worth in a country where 30% of the population have no health insurance? So keep up the good work of raising awareness for (RED)™ iPhones. It's what you need the most.
That's some interesting world view you have there. :roll eyes:
It's an interesting world we are living in. So many stupid believes. :)

----------

The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is by far the largest private foundation in the world. So he must be a role model for anyone who thinks that simple donations without any system changes can cause something good. Meanwhile the company he created is fighting with patent lawyers to increase income inequality and create the very poverty his charity wants to overcome.

The irony doesn't stop there. It is the same patent system that makes those life saving medicine so highly expensive. And Microsoft as a company is known for copying their competitors intellectual property. So his whole fortune was build on patent infringements. Which are nothing but another form of arbitrary property right, a.k.a. reasons to deny the poor access o stuff they need.
Nice rearrangement of the deck chairs on the Titanic. If you honestly think, we are near ending poverty worldwide, ask the people of Detroit or any British city for that matter. If the capitalistic system is creating so much poverty in its homeland, how should it eliminate it worldwide? This is ridiculous. Millennium Goals – nice plans for the year 3000.

Renzatic

Suspended
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is by far the largest private foundation in the world. So he must be a role model for anyone who thinks that simple donations without any system changes can cause something good. Meanwhile the company he created is fighting with patent lawyers to increase income inequality and create the very poverty his charity wants to overcome.

The irony doesn't stop there. It is the same patent system that makes those life saving medicine so highly expensive. And Microsoft as a company is known for copying their competitors intellectual property. So his whole fortune was build on patent infringements. Which are nothing but another form of arbitrary property right, a.k.a. reasons to deny the poor access o stuff they need.

Yeah, you got a link for that, or are you going entirely off something you heard some guy say on another Mac forum, and decided to parrot it elsewhere cuz WINDOWS BAD APPLE GOOD?

As an aside, I could say a lot about PRSI, pro and con. But one of the things I like best about it is that the debates are usually a little more nuanced than the crap you see spewed about up in the Macrumors News forum. Let's try to keep it that way, huh?

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Nice rearrangement of the deck chairs on the Titanic. If you honestly think, we are near ending poverty worldwide

I think we are near eliminating extreme poverty - yes - http://www.economist.com/news/leade...out-extreme-poverty-20-years-world-should-aim

----------

Yeah, you got a link for that, or are you going entirely off something you heard some guy say on another Mac forum, and decided to parrot it elsewhere cuz WINDOWS BAD APPLE GOOD?

As an aside, I could say a lot about PRSI, pro and con. But one of the things I like best about it is that the debates are usually a little more nuanced than the crap you see spewed about up in the Macrumors News forum. Let's try to keep it that way, huh?

Quite

----------

This is ridiculous. Millennium Goals – nice plans for the year 3000.

We'll except that more than half of them will be met (even when you break them down by region) and there has been progress towards the vast majority of regions as you can see from the link above.

And there has been vast progress overall thanks to China and India lifting huge numbers of its people out of poverty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.