Apple one and one free vs paid.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by commac, Dec 27, 2013.

1. commac macrumors regular

Can someone please explain the differences between the 99$ one and one offered at purchase and the free drop in one and one apple advertises on their site.

https://www.apple.com/ca/retail/learn/

I thought the lessons where included for one year after buying a Mac but I seem to be mistaken.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The free workshops are structured and only cover the pre-selected content that Apple decides should be included. The one-to-one is more personal and lends itself better to asking questions that may not be of interest to others attending a workshop. Think of the workshops as classroom training with a pre-selected curriculum. Think of the one-to-one as private tutoring. The workshops are free, but the one-to-one has a cost, even if you just bought a Mac.

3. commac thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. Do you know if one to one was ever free with a newly purchased Mac?

Even though I've offered to show my mom whatever she likes she seems to want the apple one to one which her friend had and raved about.

4. mpantone macrumors 6502

One To One training service has never been free. It has been in existence as a $99/year service for many years. Prior to 2007, it was part of the now-discontinued ProCare service plan (also $99 per year).

The point is moot anyhow since it is not a free service today; I don't understand why you're even bothering to ask the question.

I suggest your mom attend one of the free training sessions. They appear to suffice for most people as their topics will definitely cover the most common situations.

If she wants the additional attention afforded by the One To One service, then she should sign up. If she goes 4-6 times during the year, it's probably worth it.

Anyhow, good luck to you and your mom.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As mpantone said, one-to-one has never been free with a newly purchased Mac. Why not try the free workshops and see how far down the road that gets you. For specific technical questions as well as general "how to" information, I've found the Apple support site and this forum to be the most excellent resources.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

I thought of the one-on-one (paid) and felt it was way too much money for what it provides you. However if I was new at Macs or new to computers it might be worth the money.