Apple Online Return Policy Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by oddlyepic, Mar 14, 2011.

1. oddlyepic macrumors newbie

So I have a MBP coming in on Wednesday, but I was having second thoughts about getting the hi res anti glare over the hi res glossy.

Anyway, would there be any problems with me exchanging it for the exact same model but with a different screen option?

Can I open the box to play with it and then exchange it?

I haven't been to the store to compare the two, I just ordered off impulse. I don't want this thread to turn into another AG vs. Glossy argument, I just want to know the answer to my question and don't want to wait until tomorrow to call in.

Thank you!

2. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

How are we supposed to help you when you don't tell us where you are?! Apple policy varies (a little) between countries, as do consumer laws.

I know you are most likely USA, but I'd guess a good 30-50% of this board are from elsewhere!

3. oddlyepic thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Mik3F macrumors 6502

Apple have a 14 day return policy. You can return it within this window.

Yes you can use it whilst you decide

5. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

T&Cs from Apple Online Store USA-

(Emphasis added and edited- full version here http://storeimages.apple.com/1822/store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespolicies.html#topic-21)

So according to the T&Cs you can return it unopened with no issues. However, Apple recently has changed its policy for opened items (there was previously a re-stocking fee of 10%). This is policy only, and not part of the T&Cs so it is not a right. However, if you are exchanging a product there is a very good chance Apple will do it for free under this new policy. I'd talk to them first though!

See http://www.macrumors.com/2011/01/10...retail-stores-adding-personal-setup-for-macs/

The other option is go to the store with your unopened Mac, have a look at both screens and then decide. All the Apple stores I have been in have had the hi-res out.

Furthermore, I gather California has quite good consumer protection laws for the US. It may be worth checking them. I don't know much about US consumer law I'm afraid.I know in the UK we have Distance Selling Regulations that protect consumers returning items purchases online and it doesn't matter if they are opened, so it may be worth checking US law.

6. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

True, but if you know you're going to return it I wouldn't touch it. My luck it would slip out of my hands and fall on the floor...