Apple Online Store and checking validity of credit card

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by marcin0903, Jul 15, 2010.

1. marcin0903 macrumors regular

Hi! I have a question - is there any rule when Apple Online Store checks validity of my identify and credit card (sending email with request to send them any document that confirms, that everything is legit), or they are doing that randomly of maybe only for the first order? Because latestly I ordered iPhone 4 and get that email, so I decided to cancel my order because I don't want to send them my personal details via email, so that's why am I asking, if it's possible or are there any chances to slip through, and omit this "security check".

2. marcin0903 thread starter macrumors regular

3. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

If you ordered it in the US store, you most likely have signed a AT&T contract. If you sign a contract, you need to provide personal data. If you don't want to send it by mail, go to an Apple Store or AT&T store.

Assuming you're from Poland, it may be different there.

4. marcin0903 thread starter macrumors regular

The case is a little strange - I want to buy iPhone 4 in Apple Online Store UK (no contract needed, phone is unlocked and simlock free), I want to pay with Polish credit card (which billing address is in PL), but I cannot set the billing address in checkout in apple online store to polish billing address, so I will just set billing address same as shipping address which is UK, because shipping will be to UK, only the name and card number with security code will be exactly the same, billing address will be different.
    I am sure that it will pass through authorization process etc... in checkout process, but I don't want to get this email, with request to deliver them documents, so that's why I was asking how often and is there any rule when they requiring that.

5. al2o3cr macrumors regular

If you were planning on writing a post on "how to make it look like you're using a stolen credit card", then this would be really helpful. Pretty much every CC processor is going to raise giant red flags if the billing address doesn't match the card's billing address - it's a basic security measure.

6. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

As long as they can get the cash from your card, they're most like not to get any data about the credit card from you. Just set the billing address to delivery address. They only ship an invoice to the billing address with the receipt, if it's the same they put it inside the box.

7. marcin0903 thread starter macrumors regular

Ehm... all those tricks because "officialy" they do not accept Polish cards... And now surprise - I was buying this way content from PlayStation Store, and everything was good, so I think bank doesn't care about it - I don't think it is good, but since I can make purcheases with different billing address and no one will steal my cc numbers I don't mind - that's why I have prepaid card for this type of shopping, only if I want buy sth I have money on this card, however for people who have credit card, not debeit or prepaid, it's not good for them, because case is different if you will lose once $100, or someone will put your cc on loan for few thousands $.

@Giuly, thanks for reply - shipping address will be same as billing, but only name will be different in billing than it is in shipping - hope everything will be good ;)

EDIT
    If everything goes correct, I should get an email with confirmation of an order after few minutes from ordering - right? - this is important to me so please answer mainly on that question :)!

8. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

You're Polish I presume? Perfectly plausible that you have a Polish registered credit card and you're living in the UK.

I too have both a German and a British Debit card (slightly different). With the german card going to my home in Germany's adress.

I ordered my MBP from the UK online store, when I did it over telesales, all he did was use the same first line etc as in Germany, but left the country as UK and it went through fine.

Just try that.. But don't break any laws, this is only advice, not legal representation.

9. marcin0903 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh.. that's a great new... that it passed - so I will do as you suggest, and if they will request from me any documents I will just send them a scan of driving license or anything else what they require :)

Thanks a lot!

EDIT:
    right now tried to edit billing address connected with my account and everything is filling good, but PL post code format is like German; for example 12312, but GB is W1B 2EL - so I don't know how to fill that in..
    Also when you are paying via German card, you can provide valid German address because that country is in countries selection list, however there is not Poland.. :/ - so I don't know it it will work for me

10. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Select Germany and tell them "Oh, I didn't notice that we're independent again" or for Prussia and Silesia "Actually, it was Germany, I didn't notice it belongs to Poland now".

For real now, can't you just make it the same Name in Billing and Shipping, as it is the same address anyway? If you're trying to order in the UK store from Poland, this doesn't work. If you're in UK trying to order in the UK store with a polish card, set both addresses to UK. The name counts, not the address.
    Or you could try to find a UK store which offers the iPhone via PayPal.

11. marcin0903 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh.. now I really don't know what to do, I read on some boards in Poland that people left same addresses on both sides and names, but I cannot left the same names, because I am ordering iPhone to my friend so he will be recipent, so that I will have write on billing my name and on shipping friend's name - I hope it will work - what do you think?

Anyway, how do I know that everything went fine? - I should get the confirmation mail after few minutes right?

12. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Just try ordering.. It is very likely that NOBODY here is in your situation.

13. marcin0903 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, that left only for me ;), but to be sure of one thing - after ordering I should get after few minutes confirmation email, right?

14. marcin0903 thread starter macrumors regular

I called to Apple UK Help Line and was talking with very experienced man that helped me get through and now my iPhone is ordered - he just asked for my Polish billing address and he filled it in and left only UK as country :)!
    Hope I will get my iPhone soon! :)