MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's online store is now listing a new Blackmagic eGPU "Pro", following several major product launches today.

blackmagic-egpu-pro-with-mac-mini-800x426.jpg

The new Blackmagic eGPU Pro features a Radeon RX Vega 56 graphics processor with 8GB of HBM2 memory, two Thunderbolt 3 ports, four USB 3 ports, an HDMI 2.0 port, and a DisplayPort 1.4 port, allowing for 85W of power to charge a MacBook Pro at the same time.

The eGPU is compatible with any Thunderbolt 3-enabled Mac, including the new space gray Mac mini and new MacBook Air with Retina display.

The Blackmagic eGPU Pro costs $1,199 and will be available to order from the Apple online store from late November.

Article Link: Apple Online Store Lists Blackmagic eGPU 'Pro', Available Late November for $1,199

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
Will it work with bootcamp?

Probably not....seems they don't give a crap about bootcamp at all. I have a Sonnet Breakaway that I'll be putting a RX480 in shortly and I'm planning on having to do a little hack job to make it work with bootcamp on my 2017 15" Pro

Comment

budafied

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2008
I like that these options exist, but my God the prices. $1200 is ridiculous for what is essentially a $500 GPU and a docking station.
[doublepost=1540914397][/doublepost]
The day is coming that we'll have cards with TB3 ports on them, and these custom solutions won't be necessary. I wonder why, given the price, they didn't just go for the Vega 64.

Yea, this will be a welcome change when it happens.

Comment

aaronhead14

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
Pretty cool, but twice the price that it should be. It'll pair nicely with the also-overpriced $4,100 Mac Mini.

Reactions: Darajavahus
Comment

Maven1975

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
Still garbage!

For that price, you can get a 2080ti + Core X for and additional $200. (1080ti would be cheaper and still run circles around this)

That would absolutely annihilate this product. (Aside from size and noise level)

Apple needs to get off their high horse and start playing nice in this area. If they want to claim their “all in on egpu’s”, then they need to allow their efi to boot with eGPU’s attached. (Especially in Bootcamp) Not just select products they endorse for maximum profit.

I don’t understand Apples complete disregard for Bootcamp support this generation. If they are going to discontinue Bootcamp, I think I’m out all together. (17 year user here)

Comment

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Still garbage!

For that price, you can get a 2080ti + Core X for and additional $200. (1080ti would be cheaper and still run circles around this)

That would absolutely annihilate this product. (Aside from size and noise level)

Apple needs to get off their high horse and start playing nice in this area. If they want to claim their “all in on egpu’s”, then they need to allow their efi to boot with eGPU’s attached. (Especially in Bootcamp) Not just select products they endorse for maximum profit.

I don’t understand Apples complete disregard for Bootcamp support this generation. If they are going to discontinue Bootcamp, I think I’m out all together. (17 year user here)
aside from size noise level and non games apps

Comment

Pow!

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2014
Toronto
Beauty! Great options for users who don’t want to build their own, and fantastic for stacking multiple eGPUs!

These will hold their value for a good while, and with the poets offered they are far more flexible than a basic Sonnet enclosure.

They’re the quietest eGPUs on the market, and the nicest looking by far.

Comment

DPH

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2009
Sarpsborg, Norway
Probably not....seems they don't give a crap about bootcamp at all. I have a Sonnet Breakaway that I'll be putting a RX480 in shortly and I'm planning on having to do a little hack job to make it work with bootcamp on my 2017 15" Pro

Proably never happend:/ So sad, the 5-6 times a year i play Pugb, and Call of duty with a friend via bootcamp, and it would be really helpfull, to have a eGPU in bootcamp!

Comment

Kurri

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
I like that these options exist, but my God the prices. $1200 is ridiculous for what is essentially a $500 GPU and a docking station.

Is there a cheaper alternative to this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Comment

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
Proably never happend:/ So sad, the 5-6 times a year i play Pugb, and Call of duty with a friend via bootcamp, and it would be really helpfull, to have a eGPU in bootcamp!

I did my research, should work with a few minor tweaks. eGPU.io has tons of people who have done this setup.

Comment

bsbeamer

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2012
Still garbage!

At this point, I will wait for the MacPro7,1 update. There's apparently an AMD exclusive contract that expires EOY 2018. Not holding my breath for NVIDIA support, but crossing fingers still...

Comment

kissmo

Cancelled
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
Still garbage!

Apple has made sure you won’t be running 2080 on your Mac.

Nvidia doesn’t have drivers and by the looks of it they won’t do anything soon.

Seems like they try to close Nvidia out of Apple ecosystem and Nvidia also plays a chicken out game.

Anyway, indeed overpriced eGPU no doubt.

Comment

spshulem

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2015
Anyone curious, I built this setup just last week for under $570.

The best eGPU right now IMO is the Razer X Core, it's expensive, but I found one used with the 6ft TB3 table for $270, and then on eBay I found a Vega 56 for $300.

I wouldn't even say either of those are crazy cheap deals, but it saved me a ton.

Also, I wouldn't worry about used GPUs, you don't get degradation, but the more they get used they can just cop out one day. But according to Linus, it isn't a gradual slow down, but more of an all at once kind of thing. The best way to avoid this is to get a GPU that wasn't used for mining or constant GPU load 24/7.

Source: https://lifehacker.com/this-video-explains-how-performance-degradation-happens-1783189032

Comment

Chenhan

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2016
eGPU enclosure + Vega56 costs about $600. You pay twice the price for BM so you can use Ultrafine 5K, but lose DP ports and Boot Camp compatibility.
[doublepost=1540921497][/doublepost]
Anyone curious, I built this setup just last week for under $570.

The best eGPU right now IMO is the Razer X Core, it's expensive, but I found one used with the 6ft TB3 table for $270, and then on eBay I found a Vega 56 for $300.

I wouldn't even say either of those are crazy cheap deals, but it saved me a ton.

Also, I wouldn't worry about used GPUs, you don't get degradation, but the more they get used they can just cop out one day. But according to Linus, it isn't a gradual slow down, but more of an all at once kind of thing. The best way to avoid this is to get a GPU that wasn't used for mining or constant GPU load 24/7.

Source: https://lifehacker.com/this-video-explains-how-performance-degradation-happens-1783189032

Razor Core is noisy af. So is Gigabyte gaming box. The best enclosure I have used is Sonnet. Sadly, I still can't use it with my Dell 8K even with dual DP connection with my Vega56.

Comment

TeJo

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2018
$1200? Are. You. Kidding. Me. I just built a Mantiz Venus with a Vega 64* for around $800 (new enclosure, used card). The Venus has more USB ports, charges a full 85 watts AND supports an SATA hard drive, meaning as an enclosure, it mostly blows the BlackMagic away. My only complaint is that it doesn't have a second TB port for daisy chaining add'l storage, but that's a navigable problem.

I played with a BlackMagic a bit and it was very sleek and very quiet and setup flawlessly, but damn. $1200 for a prosumer card in a non-upgradable enclosure? In-sane.

*Technically speaking, the 64 draws too much power for the Venus' power adapter, but as long as you're not running it too hot, per Mantiz, it's fine. Plus, based on the construction, the adapter should be easily replaceable, if it ever gets to that point.
[doublepost=1540925238][/doublepost]
The day is coming that we'll have cards with TB3 ports on them, and these custom solutions won't be necessary. I wonder why, given the price, they didn't just go for the Vega 64.

My guess would be mainly price in that the 56 provides lower overhead and may be more readily available. (The 64 has been harder to find, which has kept its prices inflated.) Since this is a joint effort, Apple is probably also revenue sharing with BlackMagic, meaning both companies will try to keep their margins as wide as possible.

Apple should just have done this on their own. No idea why they didn't. Of course, their product would still be super duper expensive, as Apple gear do, but they could probably shave a few bucks off this price and control the ecosystem better. Plus, Apple could potentially have worked on a custom GPU which would have better targeted pro users and their own software. At the end of the day, the Vega is a gaming card and the BM has been optimized for BM software. So lots of users, myself included, will achieve better, but certainly not perfect results to our workflows. And $1200. Sheesh.

Reactions: Menneisyys2
Comment

PabloG

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2018
WA
A couple of months ago I purchased a Vega 56 and Sonnet eGFX 550 Box for $750. I could have spent $100 less with the Sonnet eGFX 350 box, but I wanted the 85W of power delivery the 550 offers when using with my MBP. Can't understand that kind of price. For not much more I could buy an AMD WX 9100.

Comment

Spankey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
NJ
What is worse than the price is that it’s non upgradeable. You are throwing away $1200 on an almost outdated gpu that you will have to chuck with its enclosure should you want to upgrade.

The second nvidia support comes back to Mac I’m ripping my Vega 56 out for a 2080ti.

Comment

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
Quiet

(the big differentiator... thought I should point that out, since it seems to be being missed by all the 'but I can build one with those parts for $700, etc.)

Comment

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68020
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
This eGPU is probably well-built, is specifically supported by macOS’s drivers for excellent compatibility, and yes probably very quiet. However, some RX Vega 56 graphics cards like my Sapphire Pulse are also dead silent unless under demanding load. The fans don’t spin at all at idle. This eGPU would be an excellent no-fuss addition to any TB3 Mac, but I agree lack of upgradebility is a drawback.

Also, be aware that macOS has become increasingly optimized for AMD GPUs so for those thinking about going with an Nvidia GPU, that may not be a good idea. Nvidia GPUs don’t support several critical Metal features:

-MSAA (multisample anti-aliasing) depth resolve
-sRGB writes (writes to sRGB textures)
-Indirect command buffers
-Stencil feedback
-Stencil resolve

https://developer.apple.com/metal/Metal-Feature-Set-Tables.pdf

AMD GCN 1+: family 2 v1
Nvidia Kepler+: family 1 v4

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.