Apple Online Stores Nearing Immediate Availability of Retina MacBook Pro Models

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Innovative how exactly?

They added a higher resolution screen and flash storage ideas from the Air while removing other features.
They also designed a whole new method of housing the screen, which contain new technologies as well as it being the worlds highest res notebook screen. Besides that the internals include incredibly innovative fan designs a whole new standard of ssd and overall redefined the term professional notebook. If that's not innovative I don't know what is.

eagandale4114

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2011
I'm waiting for 13' retina, ssd, and must have wifi ac to make sure it will be future proof for several years (4-5) to come. and I make sure I beef it up!
I do believe that the current one has an AC capable chipset. Ifixit's teardown showed hat. They may add support for it later once the standard has an acceptable level of finalization. They have done this before with wireless N if I remember correctly. Not sure of the model of the computer.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
I do believe that the current one has an AC capable chipset. Ifixit's teardown showed hat. They may add support for it later once the standard has an acceptable level of finalization. They have done this before with wireless N if I remember correctly. Not sure of the model of the computer.
So what's the possibility of ac coming to an updated rMBP 15 in early 2013?

DVD9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
Took a chance pulling the trigger on 2.6/16/256...The day I got it, OWC announced their 512GB upgrade. 256 will make a great external cycling scratch disk, and keep the main internal drive as fresh as possible.

Something to consider..

The OWC drive uses a Sandforce controller which will deliver poor performance with Filevault2 or any other encryption.

Steve.P.JobsFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2010
Columbus
If the 13" rMBP has specs that are similar or better to the 21.5" iMac, then I may ditch the iMac line for the 13" rMBP. It'll be an "iMac To Go," just like how Steve called the iBook an "iMac To Go" just over 13 years ago in 1999. :)

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011
I want a 17 inch Retina MacBook Pro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(seventeen exclamation marks)

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
It's a 512 with 32 set aside for data management though isn't it?
aaand Apple's 256 = 250.14 :D
Not necessarily for data management. That allocated space is for backup. If any of the SSD/Flash cells fail, those cells will be used for storage. If all of those 32 GB cells are used, you're screwed.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
How much do you think it would be? XD
I was going to guess $1500. But I was more concerned about the 1GB. 1GB I know can run a lot of games I want at 2560. 2880 seems to be passing what a bunch of games can run compared to gfx cards. I feel that the 1GB in that display could run beautifully at full resolution with med settings in games.

Going to be weird to think that the small 13" notebook will have the same resolution as that big ass 27" iMac :p

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Too bad they got rid of the 17 inch model. I would love to upgrade to a rmpb in a 17 inch size.
The retina iMacs would mitigate that. Otherwise, there's no real advantage to owning a 17" MBP, other than the extra resolution which, the 15" retina model effectively replaced. If you need even more than the whopping 2880x1800, you may as well get a desktop, or an external thunderbolt display which, I'm thinking, will come sooner or later.

kazmac

macrumors G3
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
that's good

Glad to hear.

This is the span of time I think I'll wait for any Apple products I might want or need in the future (2014 thereabouts.) The kinks get worked out, the demand isn't so insane etc.

ArcaneDevice

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2003
outside the crazy house, NC
They also designed a whole new method of housing the screen, which contain new technologies as well as it being the worlds highest res notebook screen. Besides that the internals include incredibly innovative fan designs a whole new standard of ssd and overall redefined the term professional notebook. If that's not innovative I don't know what is.
Then you don't know what is.

There's nothing in the Retina that hasn't been done elsewhere. You are really giving them props for gluing in the display as if a device has never done that before? And higher resolution? You think that's innovation? Better hope the Apple HD television has an 8K screen then, because otherwise Apple will seem really behind the curve based on what NHK are doing.

The fan? Really? You've never seen that type of fan design before? Even though it was used on the Air and the PS3 uses the same design? It's not revolutionary in the slightest, no matter how Apple fashion the duct work.

SSD? :rolleyes:

Nothing is innovative in the Retina. It's just using existing technologies in a new form factor. Just as every electronics manufacturer on the planet does. Redesigning a PCB and moving components around to fit is standard practice and the Retina does nothing more than that.