Apple only lightning chargers.

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by mattioch, Sep 26, 2012.

1. mattioch macrumors newbie

You now can't use unofficial Apple lighting connectors to charge your phone. Don't bother buying a cheap unofficial charger off eBay as it won't work with the new iPhone 5!

2. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Not true

You can use an off brand charger if it has a usb output. Just use your Apple approved lightning cable and it works fine. I use one and I also use an off brand charger in the car.

3. davehutch, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012

davehutch macrumors 6502a

davehutch

Interestingly, I first tried my iPhone 4 USB charger (made by Apple) and plugged the lightning cable into it.
    It demonstartes the same odd behaviour that you get from cheaper USB chargers i.e the screen becomes unresponsive.
    You can test this by placing your phone on the table and just use a single finger to select and move around etc.
    In order to get the screen to react properly, you have to earth the sides of the phone to yourself by holding them (whether this works on the anodized black version I couldn't say)
    Mine even started typeing things into the Apple ID prompt all on its own! (seemed to be taking info from the first entry in my contacts). It was the most bizzare thing to watch!

4. honeygirl macrumors member

my friends also has the problem. the iphone 5 change the charger.

5. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

I'd never buy a cheap adapter off of eBay, but the incase mini car adapter works perfectly.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I have a simple philosophy to cables and charging equipment...I buy Apple and only Apple...I don't mind third party docks, but I always ditch the inferior cable and replace it with a genuine one.

7. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I've charged my 5 off of the iPad USB charger with a lightning cable and it's fine, and still usable during the charging.

Also charges from empty in no time! Probably just over an hour. Yes, i know the ipad charger has a more "beefy" output, but it's great it's so quick

8. davehutch macrumors 6502a

davehutch

Here's a picture of the charger that is giving me the problems.
    There was a thread ages ago on this subject about erratic screen bahaviour and I pinned it down to "after market" chargers at the time. If this one is made by Apple then there is now an additional change that means these don't work properly either.

My iPad charger works fine

Attached Files:

9. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

That charger looks a little strange, what's the brown edge? It's either shorted out at some time or had some liquid spilt on it IMO.

With regard to chargers, I haven't taken my iPhone 5 charger out of the box, I charge with either my iPad charger, a spare Apple charger from an old iP4, a Belkin car charger or a TomTom charger. All work perfectly.

10. davehutch macrumors 6502a

davehutch

No, I adjusted the levels in Photoshop to show the detail of the writing better.
    No damage, looks perfectly normal in real life.

When you say work perfectly, have you tried interacting with the screen using just one finger while the phone is lying on a table?

11. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

I'll try that for you later, but my initial answer would be yes, in a limited way, the phone charges from the TomTom block next to the bed. Alarm snooze/off are a one finger thing. Will try and post back later.

12. zoonyx macrumors 6502

This is a random thread because I've experienced no problems, and use some pretty crappy equipment!

Old iPhone 4S AC adaptor = fine
    New iPhone 5 AC adaptor = fine

Cheapo (probably fake) 'Belkin' micro car charger = fine
    'NEW TRENT' Battery pack with 2 USB outputs, using ipad 1mA = fine.

And by fine I mean usable, no screen issues etc.

iPad charger + battery pack iPad output charge very quickly.

13. d123, Sep 27, 2012

d123 macrumors 68000

d123

Looking at your picture on a larger screen and I definitely think there is something not right there.

Quick iPhone pic of my 2 year old charger block

[​IMG]

There is no dark brown/black deposit coming out the join on the plug, there is definitely something in your pic, it's not just a shadow. It's most noticeable on the bottom join.

Did you get that block from Apple or could it be one of the many fakes on the market?

It even looks like your plug has had some expansion, the gap at the join could have been caused by overheating.

[​IMG]

Edit

Looking at the 2 chargers (which according to the plugs, are from the same manufacturer) there are a number of discrepancies, I know mine is definitely genuine Apple (it came in the box with an iPhone 4).

Look at the finish, mine is perfectly smooth, yours is creased and rippled, the backing around "safety mark" is different and there is a missing square emblem on one line (alongside the makers name).

14. davehutch, Sep 27, 2012

davehutch macrumors 6502a

davehutch

Here's the original photo.
    You're right about the square symbol though, it means it's a double insulated transformer, which might effect the earthing.
    I'm now assuming mine isn't a real Apple plug, so I'll have a good scout around at home

Attached Files: