Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced on its website (via Setteb.it) that it will be opening a new retail store in Marghera near Venice, Italy this Saturday, October 11. The store will be located in the Nave de Vero shopping center, which spans multiple floors and hosts over 100 stores.

applestorevenice-copy.jpg
Image credit: The Apple Lounge
Apple put up its traditional black barrier at the location earlier this year, as some pictures have shown the location occupying a large space on the shopping center's larger floor. The new location will be Apple's 15th in Italy, joining stores in Rimini, Florence, and Bologna.

At store openings, Apple usually hands out commemorative T-shirts to the first 1,000 customers to visit. Apple's new store in Venice opens at 10 A.M. this Saturday, and the location has begun accepting reservations for workshops and Genius Bar appointments.

Update: Apple is also opening new retail stores in Marlborough, Massachusetts and Trumbull, Connecticut on Saturday, October 11.

Update 2: The expanded Houston Galleria store will also be opening on Saturday after operating out of temporary space since earlier this year while its main space was renovated and expanded.

Article Link: Apple Opening New Retail Store Near Venice, Italy This Saturday, October 11 [Updated]

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
Worth noting that this store is a typical mall store in the industrial mainland area of Venice which is normally bypassed by tourists who come and go from the island. If you are interested in the unique architectural challenge of making an Apple Store in historic Venice, forget it.

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
Wow! So mysterious. Can't wait to see what it looks like with the barrier removed.

/s. (In case it wasn't obvious).

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
When I saw the thumbnail of that picture on the home page I seriously thought for a minute that the reflective marble floor was actually one of the Venice canals. Pity!

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Shame it's not in the historic part of the city. I was recently in Bologna and the store there is really nice and is right in the centre.

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Wow! So mysterious. Can't wait to see what it looks like with the barrier removed.

/s. (In case it wasn't obvious).

Exactly, The stores used to feel like you were walking into an art museum. Now that it's caught on with other retailers it's not tired, but it's not new. They should create a store as if it were a set from 2001 A Space Odyssey. I'd recommend they hire Skylab architecture. Apple should get new iphone designers while they're at it. My $.02

R3k

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2011
Sep 7, 2011
Worth noting that this store is a typical mall store in the industrial mainland area of Venice which is normally bypassed by tourists who come and go from the island. If you are interested in the unique architectural challenge of making an Apple Store in historic Venice, forget it.

Was thinking the space looked pretty mundane. Ahh, we are spoilt, it's probably 10x better than some I've seen in the US in malls. Glendale Galleria I mean you.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009

Shame, although perhaps smart, Apple will avoid flood insurance since Venice won't be "Venice" in a few more years. Visit while you can. :(

zelman

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
What are the odds that a new store will be stocked with the iPhone 6 Plus 128gb model I want?

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
Exactly, The stores used to feel like you were walking into an art museum. Now that it's caught on with other retailers it's not tired, but it's not new. They should create a store as if it were a set from 2001 A Space Odyssey. I'd recommend they hire Skylab architecture. Apple should get new iphone designers while they're at it. My $.02

Totally agree. In the Florida mall today I went into the Apple Store and then the Microsoft. Other than one being empty and the other packed full of people, it was hard to tell them apart. Just feels like it is missing something these days, don't know what.

Perhaps substituting the massive illuminated marketing photos for video screens showing off all the different aspects and versatility of the gadget being used in the real world. This could well work to MS's advantage if they were to do that and they need any foothold they can get I reckon.

Either way, the stores almost feel as cliche as Jony Ives "I've cured cancer" type tones in commercials. Time for something new IMHO.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
Shame, although perhaps smart, Apple will avoid flood insurance since Venice won't be "Venice" in a few more years. Visit while you can. :(
Umm, you know they build a giant inflatable wall to keep the Adriatic out of the lagoon, right? Venice is in no danger until sea levels start to really rise a century or more from now.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Umm, you know they build a giant inflatable wall to keep the Adriatic out of the lagoon, right? Venice is in no danger until sea levels start to really rise a century or more from now.

According to the latest summit. Scientists on both sides finally agreed on many levels, and the newest reports strongly suggest a 3-4 meter rise in global sea levels in 10-20 years. The data you're relying on is based on models from 5+ years ago. The system Venice has in place is not and will not be adequate for the current inevitable future. :(

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
According to the latest summit. Scientists on both sides finally agreed on many levels, and the newest reports strongly suggest a 3-4 meter rise in global sea levels in 10-20 years. The data you're relying on is based on models from 5+ years ago. The system Venice has in place is not and will not be adequate for the current inevitable future. :(
Wow there, double check your units. The latest IPCC report says 0.7m or less this century. 3-4m rise over 20 years would kill millions LOL that's the stuff of a Hollywood movie. Venice is good for the 21st century.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.