Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Have you considered using a Logitech Trackman and/or an ergonomic keyboard?

http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/mice_pointers/trackballs/devices/4751

My sister and I got a Trackman and the Microsoft Comfort Keyboard for my granddad who has arthritis in his finger joints, it has helped him significantly. :)

I've used every keyboard known to man. Chording keyboards, keyboards that hang over the edge of your seat so your hands are down by your sides, etc. (AMD bought me several in an attempt to keep me productive). I've found using a wacom tablet instead of a mouse helps significantly, but I didn't have any luck with special keyboards.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I've used every keyboard known to man. Chording keyboards, keyboards that hang over the edge of your seat so your hands are down by your sides, etc. (AMD bought me several in an attempt to keep me productive). I've found using a wacom tablet instead of a mouse helps significantly, but I didn't have any luck with special keyboards.
I'm not there yet but I need to watch myself. :eek:

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween

Have you had a look at that keybowl one I posted slightly later?

(I only know about it because an engineering professor uses one)

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005

Using a wacom, and good exercise, are the only things that keep my RSI in check.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Have you had a look at that keybowl one I posted slightly later?

(I only know about it because an engineering professor uses one)

I haven't used that one, but I used one where each finger goes in a slot, and you slide your fingers in various directions. I eventually got to 15 words per minute before giving up (I had to use foot pedals for punctuation, and since I frequently was writing C++ or Perl, or editing verilog, .def, .lef, or other data files, keyboards designed for English aren't the best).

Ironduke

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
England
If apple wont create a player that uses hardware decoding of mpg/264/wmv then they should release xcode files & libraries allowing dev's access to nvidias pure video.

Scorpio12345

macrumors member
May 3, 2008
Anybody know of any other video player apps using the H264 acceleration? I know PLEX and Boxee are, but it'd be nice if a lightweight player such as MPlayer, Movist or VLC would have the capability, so that the app alone would take up only a tiny CPU footprint.

Quicktime Player would be that perfect accelerated app, but it only accelerates MP4s with AAC audio specifically which sucks....

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Anybody know of any other video player apps using the H264 acceleration? I know PLEX and Boxee are, but it'd be nice if a lightweight player such as MPlayer, Movist or VLC would have the capability, so that the app alone would take up only a tiny CPU footprint.

Quicktime Player would be that perfect accelerated app, but it only accelerates MP4s with AAC audio specifically which sucks....
Did Plex update their software that quickly?

Scorpio12345

macrumors member
May 3, 2008
Did Plex update their software that quickly?

I've been using accelerated PLEX for a good month and a half if not more now I think! The actual app hasn't been updated, but if you look on Elan's blog, there's a post about adding an updated component into the Plex package contents to get accelerated video.

So far my tests have shown the results to be absolutely amaaazing! 1080ps only take up like 9-10% CPU which is ridiculous!! Thing is, PLEX alone takes up like 20 lol, that's why i was asking if there was a lightweight app updated with the new framework... So far it looks like the VLC team are looking to add it in by version 1.2, but that's the only info for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.