Apple Opens iOS App Accelerator Development Facility in India

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has officially opened its new App Accelerator in Bangalore as part of an effort to support engineering talent and boost growth in India's iOS developer community (via Mashable).

At the center, experts will lead briefings and provide one-to-one app reviews for developers. Apple is calling the facility "the first of its kind" in the country, and says it will provide specialized support to developers as well as tools to help them push the boundaries.

"We are impressed by the great entrepreneurial spirit in India, and are excited to provide a platform for these developers to share their innovations with customers around the world," said Philip Schiller, senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing at Apple. 

"In just the first few weeks, we've already seen some incredible developers here at the App Accelerator Bengaluru, including Practo and Reliance Games, create innovative apps that can meet the needs of customers in India and around the world."
Apple first announced its plans for the App Accelerator back in May 2016, during CEO Tim Cook's high profile visit to India, when he met with the Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

Since then, the company has been steadily ramping up its presence in the country, negotiating terms with Modi regarding manufacturing and development, seeking tax concessions for locally manufactured iPhones, and setting up a local distribution center.

Article Link: Apple Opens iOS App Accelerator Development Facility in India

now i see it

macrumors 601
Jan 2, 2002
App development (new good apps) per region & language is a good thing.

But there currently are literally hundreds of thousands of worthless/duplicate apps in the USA App Store already.

We need LESS apps. All the clutter makes finding stuff horrible.

Reactions: tonyr6

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014
I would hope that they will be developing apps of use and interest to the Indian people, given that every country and culture has unique attributes that are optimally addressed by the people who live within it. I wish them much success.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I agree with GrumpMom on applications that could be of more education to India and their culture. I see it both ways as Someone living in India could have the advantage of having something more fitted to lifestyles and how they can incorporate that into their daily routine.

Do you Agree Sunny that this would be a benefit in the Indian culture? Or are applications not widely adopted in India? I also think it would be a huge benefit if the the application would be free if possible.

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014
App development (new good apps) per region & language is a good thing.

But there currently are literally hundreds of thousands of worthless/duplicate apps in the USA App Store already.

We need LESS apps. All the clutter makes finding stuff horrible.
Would we even be getting the apps developed in India, ostensibly by Indians for Indians? I don't think the point of setting up this sort of program in India is to take away territory from western based app developers but to address gaps we can't fill in international markets. We might get some apps that cross cultures well, but some developers might want to just address their culture and language exclusively.

At any rate we might all be pleasantly surprised but what they do come up with that ends up being shared here. I find a lot of apps by Korean artists in the Samsung store for my S7 to be very unique and appealing and unlike western products, in a good way.

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015
I agree with GrumpMom on applications that could be of more education to India and their culture. I see it both ways as Someone living in India could have the advantage of having something more fitted to lifestyles and how they can incorporate that into their daily routine.

Do you Agree Sunny that this would be a benefit in the Indian culture? Or are applications not widely adopted in India? I also think it would be a huge benefit if the the application would be free if possible.
Yeah only agree on free stuff :D rest of the things no one cares,

JMacHack

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2017
address gaps we can't fill in international markets. We might get some apps that cross cultures well, but some developers might want to just address their culture and language exclusively.
I could see that, I had an app development class with a kid from Afghanistan (Maybe, it was definitely a "-stan" country, west of Pakistan I think) who made a Card Game App that was of a popular game there that I had never heard of.

Having Apps made by Indians for Indians would definitely increase the adoption of iWhatevers there, and India is the next big market now that China is pretty much developed.

Reactions: Sunny1990

Aussi3

Suspended
Jun 3, 2012
Facesticks on the App store
Reactions: Sunny1990

SBlue1

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2008
Lol!! jealousy at MacRumours has never been so real. Haters gonna hate :)
Jealous? I am not a developer... I am a user who hates cheap selfmade graphics in games and apps. Not talking about retro bit art graphics. Talking about devs who are too cheap to pay someone to do the artwork properly and do it by themselves and it shows.

HJM.NL

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2016
Netherlands
I think Apple will flood the market with Pro apps developed in India. Like the printing industry is doing with print. It won't be for the Indian market because there aren't lots of iPhones selling in India.

Aussi3

Suspended
Jun 3, 2012
Facesticks on the App store
Jealous? I am not a developer... I am a user who hates cheap selfmade graphics in games and apps. Not talking about retro bit art graphics. Talking about devs who are too cheap to pay someone to do the artwork properly and do it by themselves and it shows.
Yeah you just confirmed it. Jealous! have fun with that. Your life will be so exciting with that attitude. :) Haters gonna hate! :)