Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

171402-in-app_purchasing.png

Apple has just sent out an e-mail to registered iPhone developers informing them that in-app purchasing, previously restricted to paid applications, is now also permitted in free applications. The change also permits developers to create a single version of an application to be sold for free with limited accessibility that can then be unlocked for full functionality via in-app purchases, eliminating the need for developers to create separate free "lite" versions of paid apps if they wish to offer such products.
In App Purchase is being rapidly adopted by developers in their paid apps. Now you can use In App Purchase in your free apps to sell content, subscriptions, and digital services.

You can also simplify your development by creating a single version of your app that uses In App Purchase to unlock additional functionality, eliminating the need to create Lite versions of your app. Using In App Purchase in your app can also help combat some of the problems of software piracy by allowing you to verify In App Purchases.

Visit the App Store Resource Center for more details about how you can add In App Purchases to your free apps.

Article Link: Apple Opens Up In-App Purchasing for Free iPhone Applications

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
The change also permits developers to create a single version of an application to be sold for free with limited accessibility that can then be unlocked for full functionality via in-app purchases, eliminating the need for developers to create separate free "lite" versions of paid apps if they wish to offer such products.

This is great, but I wonder how it will affect the Top Free and Top Paid app listings.

dr34mc4st3r

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2009
Singapore
"Using In App Purchase in your app can also help combat some of the problems of software piracy by allowing you to verify In App Purchases."

great that apple is acknowledging the problem and at least providing a form of solution for now

starcrossed

macrumors regular
May 3, 2003
San Antonio,TX
Just got the email and thought, there was probably a few $0.99 I could've saved if Apple had allowed this in the first place. I think Tap Tap Revenge 3 wanted to be free but had no choice because they want to have in-app additional song purchases.

outphase

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
This is great! Only bad thing I see now is there will be a bunch more "free" apps that aren't really free.
That's a slippery slope argument... One that I can get behind. I wonder how many devs will release an incomplete app just to follow it up with paid DLC.
"Using In App Purchase in your app can also help combat some of the problems of software piracy by allowing you to verify In App Purchases."

great that apple is acknowledging the problem and at least providing a form of solution for now
I wonder if TTR3 will become free now. That would be pretty cool :p

countrydweller

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009
I womder if limited accessibility could be a two week trial, then it could be unlocked for full functionality.

mspy

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2005
Northern Virginia

As a developer this is probably the best part of the whole thing. Verifiable purchases.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Maybe this is a good way to try before you buy free apps. I know there are a few I've bought that after all the glow wears off, they suck.

shk718

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2007
This will also allow users to get used to purchasing "stuff" within the app. something that will benefit developers and apple greatly in the long run. I think its still a very new and foreign concept. Bravo we finally get free trial versions!

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Is Apple smart enough to distinguish between the truly free apps and the apps with no upfront fee that later charge you to unlock the full thing?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
This is a good evolution to simplify the whole process. There are actually a lot of Lites I have not tried because of the added clutter I'd then have to delete in my iTunes library. Plus, what if you store some useful data or game progress in a Lite version, and then delete it and have to start over with the full version? And there's just the store clutter of having two versions of everything. I hope many developers take advantage of this.

It also helps devs make enough money to keep bringing us great games: it's a gateway for people to finally "try out" DLC, and can make piracy that much harder.

(Question: what happens if you buy an app, buy DLC, and then delete the app from your device. When you put it back on the device later, is the DLC gone? Can you re-download the DLC without paying again?)

fifthworld

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
What I really want is a way to try, for a limited time, fully functional apps before buying them. I'm wondering if In App Purchase can eventually evolve into that.

bacharss

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2008
great

This is good for eliminating duplicate apps, less to go through but it's going to turn the rankings upside down and hurt the truly free apps which is too bad.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
FANTASTIC.

Yes, there are lots of little problems people are mentioning here. But those all pale compared to the fact that now a developer can make a free trial of their program.

No more need for crippled "lite" versions! (Try the full version before you buy!)

No more 'Tweetie 2' controversies! (Paid upgrades!)

These things are all far, far more important than all the little problems it raises!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Is Apple smart enough to distinguish between the truly free apps and the apps with no upfront fee that later charge you to unlock the full thing?

You mean in the front page store rankings? That's a good question, but my guess is "eventually yes." Apple does KNOW which apps support DLC, since the DLC comes through Apple--so automatically sorting out two types of free should be doable. And Apple continues to refine the Top Apps display to make it work better. So I'm betting something will change about that--but maybe not right away.

If nothing changes, though, we still have more or less the same situation as now: a lot of the free apps are ALREADY just teasers for paid apps.

beppeabresh

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2008
What happens to existing PAID apps that will be converted to free with in app-purchases? How can the developer exclude existing customers from paying the in app-purchase?

smearedblue

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2005
isn't this exactly what apple promised they wouldn't allow a while ago. I don't need a free trial for an app.. screen shots are plenty. And I'd much prefer it then being constantly nagged by apps that I expect to be fast.

gotta say, I'm against it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.