Apple Opens WebKit

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has opened up its Webkit software as an Open Source Project.

The software and documentation can be found at http://webkit.opendarwin.org/

Webkit is at the rendering core of Apple's web browser, Safari. The most recent builds have provided performance enhancements as well as compatibility (Acid 2 test). By providing the source, it allows developers to contribute to Webkit's progress. End users can build the latest version and use it with the current version of Safari to utilize the latest improvements in the web rendering engine.

David Hyatt discusses it in his blog.

The latest version of webkit is reportedly "substantially faster at loading Web pages and at handling JavaScript. It contains a number of additional performance improvements that went in post-Tiger."

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Great!

New builds any time we want?

Sounds like fun, although I think I'll wait for 10.4.2 myself :)

mms

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
CA
Open Source is always good news. Once everybody gets to start working on it we'll hopefully see a lot quicker development and improvements.

altivec 2003

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2003
Texas
broken_keyboard said:
So... presumably someone could use this engine to make a Windows or Linux browser.
Well, the safari rendering engine is based on khtml, which is in KDE already. So, I believe that means a Linux browser should be really easy to implement. Does anyone know what language the webkit is written in? Objective C?

Edit:
"WebKit, the Objective-C API that wraps WebCore..."
Maybe I should've read the Surfin' Safari webpage first... so I guess the question to ask is, what language is WebCore written in? :p

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
Excellent news

This is good for Apple to create a supportive atmosphere for open source. There are excellent open source technologies out there and Apple seems to support them well. Though I would have supported Apple's position regarding Safari development, it's good to see them listen to the community and respond to their concerns even though they don't have too.

NeoMayhem

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
Sweet, I will try compiling my own version of the webkit framework tomorrow. Speed increases are always good.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I don't care about it being open source for my own development uses, but I think this is awesome because it enables me to get the latest builds, and more importantly because it is certain to appease the open source community who was up in arms a couple of weeks ago.

P.S. My first news submission and it gets accepted :)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
It would be nice to be able to use it with one of my favorite tiny apps: Web Minimalist by Emlyn Murphy, to make it trivial to test changes to the kit without even needing a web browser or disk files.

mrzippy

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Kent, UK
iMeowbot said:
There are build and run instructions on the Darwin Web site. They aren't offering pre-built snapshots right now, as far as I can tell.
It says on the site that they plan to offer nightly binaries in the future.

At this time downloadable binaries of WebKit are not available, although we are looking into hosting such nightly binaries in the future
I will have a go at building tomorrow!

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
altivec 2003 said:
That certainly may be true, but I have no hope for any visible improvement; I have dialup :mad:.
There have been some tweaks to Javascript, so you might benefit anyway.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
I checked out the code, but when I attempt to build it says "BUILD FAILED."

I followed the checking out and building information on the site, twice.

What would cause a build to fail like this? Thanks. I really want to run Safari under this.

swissmann

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2003
The Utah Alps
Is this related to that thing I read about the open source community saying Apple hadn't given much back regarding Safari? Or something like that anyway.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
It's great that they've really open-sourced Safari. I hope this satisfies the KDE people and it helps them to make Konqueror (sp?) better. If only I could get the build to work though... (I'm getting this error when with run-safari: Can't find executable at /Users/chase/Safari/Deployment/JavaScriptCore.framework/Versions/A/JavaScriptCore; have you built successfully?)
-Chase

dstorey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2002
rendezvouscp said:
It's great that they've really open-sourced Safari. I hope this satisfies the KDE people and it helps them to make Konqueror (sp?) better. If only I could get the build to work though... (I'm getting this error when with run-safari: Can't find executable at /Users/chase/Safari/Deployment/JavaScriptCore.framework/Versions/A/JavaScriptCore; have you built successfully?)
-Chase
are you running panther? I tried to build it and got two errors. I checked some page, i think linked through opendarwin, and it says it wont build on anything but tiger. They want to make the webcore more adaptable to different os's/frameworks, so they will have to fix this. I think there is already a port that nokia did to work with GTK* or whatever it's called, and they want to pull the changes into the main source trunk.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
dstorey said:
are you running panther? I tried to build it and got two errors. I checked some page, i think linked through opendarwin, and it says it wont build on anything but tiger. They want to make the webcore more adaptable to different os's/frameworks, so they will have to fix this. I think there is already a port that nokia did to work with GTK* or whatever it's called, and they want to pull the changes into the main source trunk.
Nope, 10.4.1. It's not the first screwy thing in Tiger, so I'll live without it until someone makes nightly builds.
-Chase