Apple or Adobe - which is more important in your life/business/work/play etc?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by niuniu, Apr 10, 2010.

?

Which is more important to your affairs?

1. Apple

26 vote(s)
    68.4%
  2. Adobe

12 vote(s)
    31.6%
  1. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    If you had to go without one, for some imaginary reason. Which would you want, or have to go with.

When I really think about what I do every week, I realise Adobe is a much more important part of my computing and creative and work experience. I could instantly switch over to Bootcamp and continue my daily work without a second thought as long as I had my Adobe software installed on it.

I couldn't however erase Adobe software and plugins and continue my work nearly as easily. I really love Apple products, but my perspective is maturing somewhat recently.. and mainly because I spend more time working than I do playing, which wasn't always the case before.

2. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Apple. Simply because the only Adobe product I use is flash.

3. djellison macrumors 68020

You could use Flash without Apple. You couldn't use it without Adobe.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple of course, I use my MacBook Pro, OSX and my iPhone for everything. While I do use Photoshop, I consider myself a light to medium user. As for flash and acrobat, there's enough third party alternatives to avoid adobe outright.

5. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I'd rather have Adobe. I use CS3 a lot. :p And Flash... I think we'll do without flash soon enough.

6. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I can live without flash. I use Apple products every day in my work. I use flash for youtube every now and then.

7. djellison macrumors 68020

I took it as read that when someone is 'using' Flash - they're talking about the app, not the plugin.

8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I don't see myself changing to another platform. Windows is not an option, and most Linux distributions and other *nixes too cumbersome and most - if not all - supported apps suffer from notoriously bad design...

I mostly use Adobe Photoshop (and very rarely Dreamweaver, Illustrator and Acrobat and Flash and Indesign even rarer), so I'd probably would be able to find replacements if Adobe disappeared from the Mac platform. I also use a Flashblocker in all my browsers on all the Macs I use.

Pixelmator - which - I already have from one bundle or another could probably replace Photoshop.

That said, I'm probably gonna fork out for CS5 design or web premium bundle, or equivalent (upgrading from my CS3 web premium bundle), so even if Adobe withdrew from the Mac platform I would still be set for years to come...

9. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Definitely Adobe. I use CS Design Standard a lot and it earns my money. And I get less impressed by Apple every day.

10. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Apple,

For what I use PhotoShop, Illustrator and Dreamweaver for I can sinply use their Open Source alternatives.

11. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

Apple and Adobe are tied together for me, but I guess I'd go for Apple. Using Adobe apps on Windows would be like being in one of Jigsaw's "games".
    [​IMG]
    So it's either Adobe on Mac or eventually Apple's Adobe replacement for the Mac, if it'll ever happen.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Given this feud going on, I wonder if adobe is going to pay less attention to the mac platform and/or entice users to switch over to windows.

I really think apple is cutting of its not to spite its face with regard to adobe. If they worked together, they'd extend both products, now with this hissy fit, the consumer is impacted

13. djellison macrumors 68020

Is exactly the same as using them on OSX. I use them daily, on both platforms.

14. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

Good for you, for me it's a completely different experience.

15. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can use ClickToFlash and play Flash videos (at least Youtube) in MP4 with QuickTime plug-in, works perfectly for me.

I rarely use any Adobe apps although I have "extended" trial of Master Collection ;) So Apple all the way

It's interesting to see will Adobe hit back with e.g. higher price for Mac version or later release dates etc. It's personal things versus business. If Adobe wants to make money, they won't weaken the Mac lineup but if they want to be childish as Apple is, they will weaken it.

16. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

Why do we always need to see these things as zero sum games?

17. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

I had Elements on Windows back around 2002/2003. I don't think there's any difference in experience in application that I can recall either.

We don't always need to see these things as zero sum games.

18. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Adobe doesn't make computers, mp3 players, or a smartphone... ;)

19. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

Yeah but every man and his dog seems to make those these days..

20. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

Adobe

A life without Acrobat & Photoshop would be a poorer place:)

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Adobe, oh yes. I can use Photoshop and Dreamweaver on both OSX and XP so I can take or leave Apple.

When it comes to work - the OS its running on is just background noise. Also if I had bought a PC instead of a Mac I would be able to upgrade my system easily instead of waiting for long periods of time before buying a whole new system. I like OSX but I need Adobe.

22. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

As a big Lightroom 2 user (and CS3) I can't do with out it.

23. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Considering what other companies are releasing at NAB Apple is more expendable than Adobe, at least w/regards to my work.

Lethal