Apple? Or Best Buy?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by beebo87, Jun 17, 2010.

1. beebo87 macrumors member

after trying to reserve 2 iphones tuesday morning (right after midnight) i got really frustrated and decided to go to best buy to put them on reserve there. i was second in line. and my brother and i were able to both get our iphones reserved. a little later on in the day i tried the apple website again and was able to get 2 put on hold and got 2 confirmation emails. so now i have 4 iphone 4s on hold. 2 at apple and 2 at best buy. where do u think would be the better place to pick it up at? best buy said they'll be calling to set up appointments on when the best time to go into the store would be. but it seems like apple is first come first serve. i'm down to wait in line if i know i'd be getting one guaranteed but it seems like getting an iphone isn't guaranteed anywhere even with a reserve. what would you guys do?

2. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Assuming you got the confirmation email, reservations at Apple are guaranteed until they close on opening day.

I wouldn't trust Best Buy, only because they may not get as many phones as they think they will.

If I were you, I would roll into the Apple store about 4 hours after they open and get into the reservation line. You'll definitely get your phones.

3. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Exactly.

Gotta weight your options.

Apple is guaranteed, Best Buy isn't.

Best Buy is by appointment, Apple isn't.

4. beebo87 thread starter macrumors member

yea. thats my concern. i just called my local apple store and confirmed that they got my reserves. but he also told me they have over 2000 reserves. he also told me that they'll have enough units to accommodate all reserves they just dont know about the walk ins. so i dont know. wait in line wit over 2000 people (assuming all 2000 preorders for that location are legit and everyone shows up) or schedule an apt with best buy to come in and not have to wait in that long of a line.. but not be guaranteed one.

5. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I did the exact same thing as you and i'm planning on my bestbuy having my phones. I'm #10 and #11 so i'm sure they'll have more than that available.

The apple store is about 45 minutes from me and the bestbuy is about 20 so i'm hoping bestbuy comes through.

You can always go to the apple store if something goes wrong at bestbuy.

6. beebo87 thread starter macrumors member

yea.. i'm #2 and #3 at best buy. so i'm sure regardless what happens. they'll get at least 3 phones right? i dont know though. a part of me just wants to go to apple since its an apple product. and it'll be my first legit iphone (had an unlocked 2 g back in the day that i got off craigslist but yea..) so yea. i guess i'll wait and see when best buy calls me to set up that apt.

7. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

i actually want to avoid apple because i know it's gonna be complete pandemonium over there.

it seems the process at bestbuy will be more controlled with the appointments.

8. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

I dont know how big of town your Best Buy serves but this is my experience. I have called every day since pre-ordering on opening day. Today the same Manager whom I've talked to each day called me back and said I am still guaranteed (as much as anywhere) a phone. This particular store did only 20 pre-orders (and since BB has a company wide stoppage, thats all there will be).

This Best Buy isn't doing appointments because those of us who pre-ordered will have our own line, and there will be an extra mobile associate on board. Nor will they be opening earlier than 10 (the usual time). He also said that those who put the $50 down will be getting their phones before those who are strictly walk-in.

This isn' t to say I will show up non-chalantly. I will be there no later than 6 a.m. Probably sooner. Since ATT is still doing walk-in phones I may stop in there (right next to the Best Buy in town). Since they will be open at 7 and if the line doesnt exist (it is wisconsin people)

Point regarding Best Buy.. Since they are doing pre-orders first, and not opening earlier than 10, if you get there first, it seems you'd get your phone. I do realize the BB im going to isnt playing by the same rules as ALL best BB's.

Blonde Buddhist

9. beebo87 thread starter macrumors member

i really don't mind waiting in line. i've done it for countless electronic releases before as well. best buy does seem more controlled but for some reason i'm still unsure about it. i've heard a lot of things about how best buy messes things up and all that.

i did put the 50 down and have the giftcards though. if i end up not going through best buy would i be able to use these gift cards on other things in the store? or are they returnable? any know?

10. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

I doubt they are returnable (most gift cards aren't) but they can used for anything to my understanding.

Blonde Buddhist

11. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

Where did you hear this? The bottom of our reservation emails say:

12. ijen0311 macrumors 65816

ijen0311

These are.

13. beebo87 thread starter macrumors member

so they are returnable?

14. beebo87 thread starter macrumors member

i talked to an apple employee at the store i rserved it from and he said they'll have enough to cover all the reserves.

15. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

My Best Buy said they were.

You can always try...