Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cpnotebook80

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto
I just got my macbookpro from bestbuy since i had a giftcard to use. I got a warranty from bestbuy for 3 years at $300.
is that good compared to apple?
Will i still get the one year limited warranty from apple even though i bought the laptop from bestbuy?
One think bestbuy would do is give me a brandnew laptop if mine happen to be in repairs etc.however, they dont cover spills,accidental damage etc
anyadvice?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Are you sure Best Buy gives you a new laptop if you have problems?

Usually, Best Buy will try to repair your laptop, and the repairs typically take longer than if Apple were to repair your laptop.

I guess if I were you, I'd read the Best Buy warranty myself and makes sure it really states that.

cpnotebook80

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto
Are you sure Best Buy gives you a new laptop if you have problems?

Usually, Best Buy will try to repair your laptop, and the repairs typically take longer than if Apple were to repair your laptop.

I guess if I were you, I'd read the Best Buy warranty myself and makes sure it really states that.

ok and also its canadian funds too and apple canada warranty is $299

cpnotebook80

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto
im just concerned as to which company is less of a headache to deal with when it actually comes down to getting something fixed.
:)

getz76

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Hell, AL
im just concerned as to which company is less of a headache to deal with when it actually comes down to getting something fixed.
:)

Apple will be less of a headache. The BestBuy warranty is run by an insurance company (AIG). Margins are high, service is low.

I personally skip on extended warranties. I pocket the money and earn what my bank is currently describing as interest and take my chances that repairs in 36 months for all my electronics will be less than the aggregated warranty costs. I have currently come out unscathed, as the only failures I have had in the past five years have occurred during the basic warranties.

I also use my American Express card for all these types of purchases, as I get an extended warranty through American Express up to an additional year at no additional cost. It is quite a nice fringe benefit of my membership fee.

jimthegreek

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2008
I just got my macbookpro from bestbuy since i had a giftcard to use. I got a warranty from bestbuy for 3 years at $300.
is that good compared to apple?
Will i still get the one year limited warranty from apple even though i bought the laptop from bestbuy?
One think bestbuy would do is give me a brandnew laptop if mine happen to be in repairs etc.however, they dont cover spills,accidental damage etc
anyadvice?

You might want to go back and read the fine print. Bestbuy's warranty does not give you a new laptop should yours break. Their sales personnel is just that, sales, and will tell you anything to make a buck. While Bestbuy sales people are not on commission, they do get a nice kickback for each ESP that they sell.

The warranty stipulates that if your item is sent in more than 3 times for the same issue, the INSURANCE COMPANY holds the right to issue you a credit for your purchase amount so you can get a new system. You do not have the right to request it.

I would run back to Bestbuy and return their ESP immediately. Also, do not purchase the AppleCare for your system until the 11th month. It costs the same whether you do it day one or day 364. Keep the money and earn interest on it yourself instead of Apple.

cpnotebook80

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto
ahh ok
anyways, i did get a free ipod touch from them and also resale value will be good with the warranty i hope :)

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
I personally just got a new MacBook Pro 15" 2 weeks ago. And the guy tried to pawn off on a Warranty with it for $399, $299 for the basic one. I was like can I get this at a later time, he said you have 14 days to make that decision. I was like I will wait. Good thing I did, because I can wait up to 1 year, and purchase it online for only $160 the full 3 year Applecare. :)

You might want to go back and read the fine print. Bestbuy's warranty does not give you a new laptop should yours break. Their sales personnel is just that, sales, and will tell you anything to make a buck. While Bestbuy sales people are not on commission, they do get a nice kickback for each ESP that they sell.

The warranty stipulates that if your item is sent in more than 3 times for the same issue, the INSURANCE COMPANY holds the right to issue you a credit for your purchase amount so you can get a new system. You do not have the right to request it.

I would run back to Bestbuy and return their ESP immediately. Also, do not purchase the AppleCare for your system until the 11th month. It costs the same whether you do it day one or day 364. Keep the money and earn interest on it yourself instead of Apple.

getz76

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Hell, AL
nizmoz,

That's a good tip. If I was not covered by 2 years (1 year Apple and 1 year American Express), I would seriously consider that for the price.

crzdmniac

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007

cni2i

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
The 3-year applecare is really only 2 more years after the year runs out, right? You don't get an additional 3 years after the year warranty runs out, right? Just checking, thanks.

BTW, if there is no advantage to purchasing the Applecare right now, I think I will wait also until the 10th or 11th month b4 purchasing.

cni2i

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
Do not buy your Extended Warranty from Apple or Best Buy. Get it off Ebay from a Apple Retailer. I did and many others without any issues!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...em=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT&salenotsupported

He is the one I used. Look at the feedback. Nothing to worry about.

Have u registered your MBP using the applecare that you purchased through ebay? I am assuming it's all legit. Some members here discourage getting applecare on ebay, so that's why I am asking.

qpid

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2004

I agree with everything you said you wanted to state that Best Buy employees do not get a kickback or comission or anything when they sell the extended warranties. They get to keep their jobs :D

-former best buy employee of too many years

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
Have u registered your MBP using the applecare that you purchased through ebay? I am assuming it's all legit. Some members here discourage getting applecare on ebay, so that's why I am asking.

Sure have. As soon as I received it. :)

Look at the guys feedback. No reason to get discouraged.

getz76

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Hell, AL
I agree with everything you said you wanted to state that Best Buy employees do not get a kickback or comission or anything when they sell the extended warranties. They get to keep their jobs :D

-former best buy employee of too many years

I worked for an insurance company that was a major player in the electronics warranty racket. The commission rates were 50% of the premium, less some expenses. Even then, it was some of the highest margin business we wrote, mainly because of claims management*.

*basically, deny the claim for the first two to three times off the bat for any major issue regardless of the details of the claim. A very large majority of people give up and walk away. It is terrible.

cni2i

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
I worked for an insurance company that was a major player in the electronics warranty racket. The commission rates were 50% of the premium, less some expenses. Even then, it was some of the highest margin business we wrote, mainly because of claims management*.

*basically, deny the claim for the first two to three times off the bat for any major issue regardless of the details of the claim. A very large majority of people give up and walk away. It is terrible.

:eek::mad: Insane...

qpid

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2004

Oh I don't doubt that in the slightest, just saying that best buy didn't pass the commission on to their sales people...

getz76

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Hell, AL
Oh I don't doubt that in the slightest, just saying that best buy didn't pass the commission on to their sales people...

I hope I didn't come off as contradicting you; it depended on the shop.

The information is publicly available if you go through the trouble to request it (in the US at least). The extended warranty contract will list the company and their state of domicile. You can usually write to that state's insurance commissioner and request a copy of the company's STATUTORY annual statement, which will show business by class.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.