Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RileyIL77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
Hamilton, Alabama
I have a Compaq DVD-113R that I'm using in my PowerPC G3 Desktop box. I was told by a friend that they thought the DVD-113R was originally created by Pioneer and might actually have Apple firmware. Without the Apple firmware, it doesn't want to boot Apple's Bootable CD's or DVD's. Is there anywhere I might find or get the Apple firmware? I reads disc fine under MacOS X. Because Mac is older I'm using MacOS X 10.2.8. Thanks for any help!

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
It seems the DVD-113R must be a specialized revision made just for Compaq. Pioneer has the 113, 113S and 113SZ there was also a Compaq DVD-113. Unfortunately Pioneer did not make a self branded 113R so you are probably going to be out of luck.

You can try the Pioneer DVD-113 v1.21 RPC-1 firmware found on
"The Pioneer Refion Free DVD Firmware" page and other Pioneer firmwares on the same page. As it is the same firmware for all the 113 rev's listed.

You will need a Windows computer though. You can also pickup a DVD Burner, that is OS X friendly, for less than $20 nowadays.

RileyIL77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
Hamilton, Alabama
Thanks both of you. I got home from being out of town for a couple hours today, and found the Mac won't boot again. It can't find the HDD. I heard the HDD giving a small clicking sound. I have two other HDD's I can replace the current 20 Gig HDD I already upgraded too. A 40 Gig or an 80 Gig. If you count the original 4 Gig HDD that came with it, I guess I have 3 hard drives. LOL! I'll it flash to the Pioneer after I install new HDD, and then try to boot my MacOS X 10.2.0 CD. Thanks again.

RileyIL77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
Hamilton, Alabama
Weirdly... Now the stupid computer gets through Disc 1 of 2 for MacOS X 10.2 and then reboots and starts scrolling:

can't OPEN: can't OPEN: can't OPEN:

It scrolls this from left to right for about 3 or 4 lines. I have not flashed the DVD drive yet and I'm using the CD-Rom drive that came with the G3 originally to install MacOS X 10.2.... I had to replace my 20 Gig HDD with my 40 Gig HDD... Weirdness all around. I've partitioned my 40 Gig via Apple Disk Utility on MacOS X 10.2 for 1 partition at 4 Gig, the other at 36 Gig, since PowerPC Specs claims it will hold up to a 128 Gig HDD. However Partition with MacOS can't be over 6 Gig or it claims something about not able to start write at sector 0X00000000... I think that's the message, either way, splitting the partition to the first one under 6 Gig or less worked, and I was able to install. (I found this out when using my 20 Gig HDD.)

Anyway... anyone ever seen the can't OPEN: message? Any fix for this? LOL!

RileyIL77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
Hamilton, Alabama
I want to say thank guys. I was also able to fix my Compaq DVD-113R and firmware update it with Pioneer DVD-113 Firmware and now my Macintosh will boot with it. Thanks for all your help. I'm formatting my 40 Gig HDD with MacOS 9, and hoping it will fix it just like the 4 Gig HDD, so I can install MacOS X 10.2 on it. Thanks again!

Update: It boots up with the MacOS 9 CD, but I still can't get it to boot with MacOS X 10.2 CD. But I think it's an error in my boot CD for MacOS X 10.2, because it boots with MacOS X 10.4 Tiger DVD. Then I get error when I try to install Tiger about my machine not being compatible. LOL!

Last edited:

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
You can try using XPostFacto to get that Beige G3 running 10.4, I think you run it from OS 9 to start the install. Is your 10.2 media scratched or smudged, it might just need to be cleaned?

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
For that effort you could have bought a PowerMac G4 for under $100 that will run 10.4

You can try using XPostFacto to get that Beige G3 running 10.4, I think you run it from OS 9 to start the install. Is your 10.2 media scratched or smudged, it might just need to be cleaned?

That's not going to run well on 256mb of ram.

RileyIL77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
Hamilton, Alabama
For that effort you could have bought a PowerMac G4 for under $100 that will run 10.4

That's not going to run well on 256mb of ram.

You're right. However a friend of mine is going to send me his old iMac G4 for free. It has no hard drive, but I've got two 40 Gig hard drives. I'll use one of them for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.