Apple or nVidia drivers

Discussion in 'macOS' started by silverf1re, May 25, 2011.

1. silverf1re macrumors regular

Attn knowledgeable forum users I have a couple of questions.
    A. First time OS X user however extensive Windows knowledge. First of all does the mac community refer to the software that links the operating system to the hardware as "drivers"
    Now to my main question, I just bought a 2010 refurb 15 inch base model and love it. I was wondering who is in charge for updating the "drivers" for the video cards in the machines; Apple or nVidia? I understand Apple pushes those updates built into the 10.6.X updates however I don't know if they are the one who develops the video drivers or if its up to the video card manufactures. If its the video card manufactures should I be concerned about nVidia not having an income stream from its apple products to continue to produce quality drivers because ATI now does the video hardware. If I lost anyone with my loosely strung together thoughts I am sorry :)

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

They will be in the OS X updates. I believe apple makes them, so there's no need to worry about your computer being unsupported.

3. silverf1re thread starter macrumors regular

Ya I knew they were included in the in the updates, but I was wondering who actually develops the video driver aspect of the update

4. Hansr macrumors 6502a

It's a collaborative effort between the two companies.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple writes the drivers as like everything else they like to be in control

6. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

I highly doubt Apple writes the drivers from scratch. I'm sure nVidia makes the driver, Apple modifies and pushes it out.