Apple Order Question

kevmclane

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2017
I know this title sounds like clickbait, but I swear to god this just happened to me and I don't know what to do.

I was using my iPhone 7 until it was at 1% and needed to charge badly. I plugged it in around 1:50 am. No apps open. Nobody around to touch it. Just plugged it in. I didn't even leave the room and just did something else for about half an hour, then I grabbed my phone and saw something very concerning...

Somehow, I HAVE NOT THE SLIGHTEST CLUE, my phone used Apple Pay to charge $114.95 on the Apple Online Store. I saw a notification from the Wallet app at 2:02 am as well as $0.00 and $114.95 charge notifications from my bank app. Mind you my phone has been sitting here not being touched with no apps open and I haven't planned on buying anything from Apple, nor do I have any pending order related to this sudden unknown charge.

Anyone have a clue what might have happened?! Because I certainly don't. Plus I'm not sure how to deal with this situation. Should I wait it out and see if the charge disappears? Contact my bank? Contact Apple? What even...

I thought Apple Pay was 100% secure and nothing like this could ever happen, but I guess I was wrong.

Fluttershy

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2012
Australia
Have you ordered something from Apple. Or have you pre-ordered something, that has then gotten charged overnight? Perhaps an Apple subscription?

Check your statement - and see your purchase history.

EDIT: Apple Pay being hacked I would presume would be international headlines, I assume it's a charge you have authorised but weren't aware was going to hit your CC at that time.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
Did you order the iPhone X? That’s within a couple of dollars of what I paid in taxes. Maybe the charge just went through.

Either way, go to the Apple Store and check your account for recent orders. Then call 1-800-MY-APPLE ASAP.

Reactions: Vampire14

kevmclane

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2017
Did you order the iPhone X? That’s within a couple of dollars of what I paid in taxes. Maybe the charge just went through.

Either way, go to the Apple Store and check your account for recent orders. Then call 1-800-MY-APPLE ASAP.
You got charged for them taxes, man.

Stop FUD
I did not order an iPhone X through Apple. I ordered it through Verizon and was already charged for the taxes yesterday which were only $63.25.

VoilaiPhone

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2014
I did not order an iPhone X through Apple. I ordered it through Verizon and was already charged for the taxes yesterday which were only $63.25.
What does the charge say?

It should have the merchant written next to the amount changed.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
How do you know Apple Pay on the phone was used? All my Apple Pay transactions show same as non in Wallet transactions list and notifications.

And the last time I used Apple Pay on the Apple Store simply shows up as Apple Online Store. Nothing saying Apple Pay.

Judging from what's going on, credit card number has been compromised in some old fashion method and is now being used by some bad guy. Apple Store and iTunes are popular destinations for thieves.

You got the notifications as designed, whether Apple Pay or not was used.

Jinkst

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2008
London via Sydney
So you think you’ve been ‘hacked’ and are currently basically being robbed, and you come to a forum as first point of call? Haven’t you heard of Twitter? Somewhere there will definitely know what’s up first.

Or you could just disable the card in Wallet and call your bank, but definitely leave that til last resort.

Fluttershy

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2012
Australia
Really keen to know:
1. Was it really Apple Pay
2. What the charge was...

Oh and OP - call your bank and Apple immediately.

SRLMJ23

Contributor
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
This is going to be GOOD. I suggest merging this thread with the "Can my girlfriend unlock my iPhone X while I sleep?" thread, because they are CLEARLY related!

Haha, I mean seriously, the younger generation (looks pretty young in his picture) does not know how to deal with things. If I saw this on my phone, I would first be on the phone with my bank seeing what was going on, and if they told me a charge went on my card that I had no clue about like this kid claims, I would initiate "fraud protocol." Cancel the card, tell the bank that I did not authorize it and they would do their fraud investigation, I would get that money back and get a new card. After this, I would call Apple and see what was up on their end. If I am essentially being robbed, my first instinct is NOT to come to MacRumors and start a damn thread! No offense to MacRumors and all the good people on this forum. This is what happens when you grow up with iPhones, iPads, and computers around you all the time. This younger generation is socially awkward because of it, and come to a forum for advice instead of calling a person at the bank and getting sh*t figured out!

:apple:

haruhiko

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2009
If I were you I would just give the bank a call and let them tell me what happened.

lordhamster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
Some credit cards linked to Apple Pay (Amex for example) will show you an apple pay notification even for non-apple pay transactions. For example, if I pay with my physical amex card at a restaurant, I still get a transaction notification from Apple Pay. This MAY be what is going on here.

IT is entirely possible your card was comprimised, and you are simply witnessing the transactions via the apple pay notification. As others have said, I’d contact Apple to get transaction details before panicking.

I know this title sounds like clickbait, but I swear to god this just happened to me and I don't know what to do.

I was using my iPhone 7 until it was at 1% and needed to charge badly. I plugged it in around 1:50 am. No apps open. Nobody around to touch it. Just plugged it in. I didn't even leave the room and just did something else for about half an hour, then I grabbed my phone and saw something very concerning...

Somehow, I HAVE NOT THE SLIGHTEST CLUE, my phone used Apple Pay to charge $114.95 on the Apple Online Store. I saw a notification from the Wallet app at 2:02 am as well as $0.00 and $114.95 charge notifications from my bank app. Mind you my phone has been sitting here not being touched with no apps open and I haven't planned on buying anything from Apple, nor do I have any pending order related to this sudden unknown charge.

Anyone have a clue what might have happened?! Because I certainly don't. Plus I'm not sure how to deal with this situation. Should I wait it out and see if the charge disappears? Contact my bank? Contact Apple? What even...

I thought Apple Pay was 100% secure and nothing like this could ever happen, but I guess I was wrong.

kevmclane

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2017
Alright so here’s my situation.

Around the time iPhone X preorders opened, I ordered 3 accessories; A Cosmos Blue Leather Folio, a Mophie wireless charger, and a new watch band. A grand total of $219.40. All to be delivered on November 1st.

A day or so passed and I received a pending charge on my account for the full amount, as well as tracking info for just the charger and the band. Nothing on the Folio, which is still preparing for shipment to be delivered on the same day as the other two which have already shipped.

A couple more days passed and nothing changed. That is until this morning when I received pending charges by Apple again for $0.00 and $114.95. I did some research and figured out that amount is the cost for just the two items that have shipped, minus the Folio still preparing for shipment. The problem is I still have a pending charge for all 3 products on my account along with this new pending charge ontop of it for 2/3 of the products.

I know everyone’s first instinct will be to contact the bank / Apple, but I want to ask if anyone else has had this happen to them and if the original charge will just drop off, presumably for taking too long to post for whatever reason? I’m pretty sure that’s why Apple charged me $0 the second time, to see if I actually had the funds, which I do. They’re probably only suspicious because the first charge is taking so long to post, oddly.

Thanks.

kevmclane

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2017
Update:

Apple just charged me separately for the case and it shipped, so now I am fully charged twice for everything. I can only assume that the original charge will drop off.

Dmal99

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
63 dollars in taxes is WAYYYYY too low. You are paying taxes on a 1000 dollar + phone - even if you live in a low sales tax state its gonna be more than 63 dollars.

Also if its the Apple Online Store it's in your order history. If its on the Apple Online Store then LITERALLY the only way your wallet app would show it would be for someone to access your specific phone. Remember, Apple pay doesn't just send your credit card #, it actually creates a virtual card for THAT SPECIFIC DEVICE (at least for visa and MC), partially for security - the exact reason you are saying.

So, i think you need to carefully look who was in the same place you were last night, and in my experience you almost always need a finger print ID to send through Apple Pay on your phone so I'm having trouble seeing what could have happened even if someone else grabbed your phone for a few seconds. Unless you dumbly have no security check on your Apple Pay purchases, then look at who was around for sure.

By the way the 0.00 charge is likely the authorization check, to make sure the card is real, which happens with the Citizens IUP thing, curiously.

Last edited: