Apple orders 100 million 8Gb flash chips in ramp up for new device(s)?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aznkid25, Apr 8, 2009.

1. aznkid25 macrumors 6502

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20090409PD219.html

http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/09/a/

Apple has reportedly placed orders for 100 million 8Gb NAND flash chips mostly with Samsung Electronics, which is likely to cause a supply shortage, according to sources at downstream suppliers. Nokia and Sony recently also began building their NAND flash inventories, further tightening supply, the sources added.

As Toshiba, Hynix Semiconductor, Intel and Micron Technology have allocated less chip supplies to the Asia market since early April, memory module makers are striving to grab more NAND flash chips to meet substantial volumes of short lead-time orders from system makers, the sources indicated.

Supply is expected to remain tight until at least the end of May, the sources said.

Spot prices for mainstream MLC NAND flash trended upward during the week of March 27-April 2, as a result of tightening supplies, data gathered by inSpectrum show.

According to DRAMeXchange, contract prices for MLC NAND flash chips have increased by up to 16% for the first half of April, as a result of shipment adjustments by chip suppliers. Major NAND flash chipmakers tend to allocate more shipments to system makers, and do not plan to increase their production for the second quarter in order to maintain price stability, said the market research firm.

2. haiggy macrumors 65816

I was confused too but the article says 8 Gb (gigabits, NOT gigabytes) and they are later fused together.... 8 Gb = 1 GB. So they could put together 32*8 Gb chips for a 32 GB iPhone/iPod.

Get it? :)

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I'm just hoping 32 of those suckers will fit in an iPhone. I will be royally pissed if there's some new shiny iPhone that's still only 16GB. I hated the lack of space before everything on iTunes was doubled in size.

4. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Oops. Sorry. I was confused. :eek::eek::eek:

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Noooooooo. It's for NAND flash memory, which is not RAM. The flash chips are fused together during manufacturing to create whatever storage size Apple wants.

6. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Wow I really need to research before commenting. Sorry.....

7. nicheco macrumors member

that sounds awesome, but that's always has been the way apple does it. kill the small one and make the big one the small one. seems to work quite well. and, now that i think about it, that's how all this flash memory has been going. i wonder why it's that way...