Apple orders and credit cards

Discussion in 'iMac' started by macmaccy, Dec 16, 2012.

1. macmaccy macrumors member

I have been reading the thousands of post about order status and why some ship quick and others seem to hang on forever. I thought I would help explain why this happens.
    First off there are basically two types of apple orders. Paid orders and open orders. Paid orders are those that Apple has obtained an authorization for the total cost of the order. This happens the second you place the order. This is a PRE-authorization. The funds/credit will be held for a few days and then re-appear. This order is paid. Apple has up to one year (depending on the bank) to actually finalize the transaction. These orders zip thru the build process and usually are charged when ship label is generated.

The open orders, those that have not been PRE-authorized must be charged before the item is shipped or even built. These orders are all of us that purchased AppleCare. Apple will only charge you for the AppleCare at time of purchase. This is due to legal reason concerning the AppleCare policy. All of these orders will not ship until Apple had been paid..ie. authorization from your credit card.

Sometimes your credit card will decline due to fraud blocks. This happens to me every time I place an order. If this happens Apple may contact you but it will delay the build. My bank contacts me within minutes and I usually get it fixed quick. Your mileage will vary on this scenario depending on your bank.

This brings us to transaction batching. Apple is a very large company and processes millions of credit card transactions. They batch credit card transactions to streamline the process as well as save money on transaction cost. Most retailers do this as well. It saves them millions in transaction fees. Depending on where your order is in that batch will also determine how quickly status change or when the card is finally charged.

Example... Lets say Apple batches every thousand orders. Your order is open and has not actually started to build but it's the last order in the batch, meaning there are 999 builds ahead of yours, it will sit in processing much longer then the first order in the batch. You will see the charge but status shows processing. Since there were 999 builds ahead it may take awhile until it changes. That first order in the batch will change rather quickly.

Paid orders are basically the same and since they are paid (the pre-authorization) sometimes orders at then beginning make it out the door without the final charge posting.

This is just a very basic explanation. There are thousands of other factors that will impact order status and build times. The marrying of the factory MRP system with the Apple credit card system and the order status server also has a very big hand in order status movement.

Most of you are very lucky. I changed my order and now I sit and wait for my new estimated ship date of January.

I hope this helps...

2. macuserpl macrumors 6502

macuserpl

My CC was pre-authorised and then the blocade suddenly disappeared. Does it mean that my Mac is being built?

3. macmaccy thread starter macrumors member

Was your card PRE-authorized when you placed your order? If so that preauthorization expired and you will see the final charge when the ship label is generated.

4. macuserpl macrumors 6502

macuserpl

Yes it was just after I placed my order. Thanks for your help, now I'll keep checking my order status and CC. But one more question, is my mac being build?

5. Arman macrumors regular

Thanks for the info. I ordered Nov 30 around noon PST 27 iMac. Order went through but I did get fraud alert call from credit company that night or next day, I can't exactly remember. Didnt notice any action until this morning got a $1 pending charge from apple followed shortly by the full amount charge also in pending status as of this minute. App,e site still says Processing.

6. macmaccy thread starter macrumors member

There is no exact way of knowing since you already paid. Yes the credit/funds are available but Apple can finalize that charge at any time regardless of funds availability.
    Your order status will change after the build is complete. It will show prepared for ship and it means label generated and awaiting carrier.
    Apple had not even finished processing day one orders. Hang in there.

If you ordered they will ship.....eventually!!

----------

The $1 charge is apple verifying the credit account. Since you were hit with that fraud block, the $1 showed up since funds were not available but then followed by the pre-auth for the full amount.

7. iWaiting macrumors regular

So if they are only processing day one orders and this has taken then 17 days, lets see I ordered on the 8 Dec then 8 times 17 days = 4 and a half months :eek:

I could say I will be retired when I get it shipped but hey I am already retired :D

yours still waiting

8. macmaccy thread starter macrumors member

I work in manufacturing as a Logistics manager and know there are thousands of variables to the BTO process.
    Assuming day one had the most number of orders and assume each subsequent day has less orders its rather difficult to figure exactly.
    We also don't know if or when they will add additional capacity (add more lines or facilities to build orders). But it's logical to assume each order day will take a little less time to complete.
    We will know more once day one orders complete and day two orders start and end. I would guess day two would complete faster then day one and so on till they get caught up.
    I would almost guarantee they will add capacity to catch up on order backlog.

9. macuserpl macrumors 6502

macuserpl

So when can I expect Dec 3rd order to change for "Preparing for shipment"?

10. iWaiting macrumors regular

April 2013 :rolleyes:

Sorry I have no idea I find it very confusing that they are still stating January for the dispatch date now for over a week.

Have they used the catchall January because they are so embarrassed to put it in weeks

11. macmaccy thread starter macrumors member

They probably put January for a few reasons. One was it would have showed like 8-10 weeks to ship or longer. The other was they are planning on adding capacity but don't know for sure when it will be up and running.
    I would almost guarantee they are going to add capacity to fulfill orders.
    Lastly supply constraints would have forced them to put January as expected ship because component deliveries were very tight and they could not accurately forecast past the first 4 to 5 weeks.

12. macuserpl macrumors 6502

macuserpl

Is it potentially possible that my iMac will be build next week? I've ordered on Dec 3rd, have 3-4 weeks shipping, and estimate delivery 4th-10th of January.

13. macmaccy thread starter macrumors member

Anything is possible. It if you ordered a stock build it might. Stock builds sometime will move faster.
    Keep an eye out for when day one and two builds start and end. This will kinda give you a rough heads up. The one variable we don't know is exactly when additional capacity will start and how they split the order queue.

14. drewaz macrumors regular

My CC had a pending charge from Apple this morning at 8:20. I will assume status will change soon to preparing for shipment. I ordered at 11am Phoenix time on 11/30, BTO.

15. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

In the UK it depends on the card network as well. My company MasterCard gets charged almost straight after any order. My personal American Express will get charged once the actual order is shipped. They both get pre-authed for the full amount but on my Amex it will actually drop off before it is charged.

Who is your card issuer? They seem a bit trigger happy. I've never had my Amex blocked with Apple. In fact as far as I can remember I don't think Amex has ever blocked any of my transactions. Only time it was ever blocked was when my card's magstripe details took a trip to Germany without me and it was never an issue to me as I got a replacement card next day.

16. macmaccy thread starter macrumors member

If you ordered 11/30 and show a pending charge yours is either being built or already has a label.
    Depends on if it was a paid order or open order as I stated above.
    Check your support profile. If its built it will show up there...usually.

----------

My card is from Chase. I really believe they have a thing with Apple. Every computer was blocked for fraud alert. Sometimes my App Store apps trigger a fraud block.
    When I placed my imac order and they charged for AppleCare I received a fraud alert via my email to authorize the charge.

17. drewaz macrumors regular

AmEx card.

Paid order.

18. iWaiting macrumors regular

Gold card also has a thing for Apple and have blocked every Mac I have purchased ( I suppose they are only looking after my interests ) as I still get the Bank employee perks ( not paying for it it does not accrue interest )

but my Visa card has no problems I once paid for a new BMW with it no problems at all

19. macmaccy thread starter macrumors member

I might add that the AppleCare protection prevents apple from pre-authorizing the covered item in most states. I think it has something to do with legal aspect of when the coverage begins. When they charge your card the coverage actually begins.
    Maybe someone with more knowledge of insurance or legal background can better explain it.

20. macuserpl macrumors 6502

macuserpl

What do you mean by "stock build"? My Mac is a BTO config.
    I'm sorry but I'm not form England nor US.

21. iWaiting macrumors regular

I may be wrong on this but the cover does not start until the iMac ( for the sake of this discussion ) is 12 months old from the date of its purchase.

fore example you can buy Apple care but it is not turned on so to speak until you attach it to you mac serial number, which they do at the local depot when they merge the two products

as you say the finance laws are different around the big ball

UK is different to the USA

22. macmaccy thread starter macrumors member

A stock build is a build that Apple advertises on it site that you change by adding options. These are still ordered they same way but Apple treats them a bit different because they have a specific model and SKU. These are built in waves and shipped to apple resellers worldwide.
    The queue for those run different then the BTO.
    Customers who order these models may see orders moving a bit more quickly because they build many at the same time to meet orders and shelf stock.

23. macuserpl macrumors 6502

macuserpl

Mine has just changed for Preparing for shipment this morning. It means that it is built and will leave factory soon, am I right? If so, when will it be shipped and when my CC will be charged?

24. skykapoor macrumors newbie

Dear. I mtrying to use indian cards but its all the way cancelling the orders from last two months. Is there any way out??