Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

biohazard6969

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
toronto canada
hey, there prbly isn't anything like this, but theres no harm in asking. i wanted to know if there was an emmulator for OS X that would allow me to run rele old apple OS's like 8, 7 and before. i rele want to be able to do this, learn about them etc

biohazard6969

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
toronto canada
omg has neone used this mac on mac thing. its so confusing, i think its what's called the source code of the application....the readme is rele confusing and its telliin me to do all thsi terminal stuff that won't work, it always ssays the directory is bad or something....how can i do this.....all i have is a bunch of files

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Get an old 68k Mac (like a Performa or Quadra or even something) and a couple of OS 7, 8 and 9 disks. Much better to play with than an emulator, too...

Shouldn't be too hard to get a 10-15 year old Mac, still running fine, for very little money...

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
biohazard_6969 said:
hey, there prbly isn't anything like this, but theres no harm in asking. i wanted to know if there was an emmulator for OS X that would allow me to run rele old apple OS's like 8, 7 and before. i rele want to be able to do this, learn about them etc
You will find the emulator here. It will also an emulated Macintosh Toolbox ROM. You may start looking here. Until very recently, unscrupulous brigands distributed electronic copies of the Toolbox ROM on the Internet. However, Apple seems to have recently closed down the sites where its pirated IP could be found.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Emulation.net has all sorts of information about Mac-on-Mac emulators, though it's down when I checked (not sure if permanently or temporarily--haven't been there in a while). However, I found what looks like a mirror at emulation.victoly.com; here's the page you want:

http://emulation.victoly.com/macintosh/

I have, in the past, run several of the emulators from there to get old System 6 or 7 games running in X, and they work well enough.

You may also be able to find some info at the Mac abandonware games site Macintosh Garden: http://mac.the-underdogs.org/

Actually, I found this amusing: I can download an ENTIRE System 6 system disk image, OS and all, in under 2 seconds, and on a G5 that system (running under an emulator, of course) boots so fast it's effectively instantaneous. Amazing how little the hardware of today thinks of the software of yesteryear.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Makosuke said:
Emulation.net has all sorts of information about Mac-on-Mac emulators, though it's down when I checked (not sure if permanently or temporarily--haven't been there in a while). However, I found what looks like a mirror at emulation.victoly.com; here's the page you want:

http://emulation.victoly.com/macintosh/

I have, in the past, run several of the emulators from there to get old System 6 or 7 games running in X, and they work well enough.

You may also be able to find some info at the Mac abandonware games site Macintosh Garden: http://mac.the-underdogs.org/

Actually, I found this amusing: I can download an ENTIRE System 6 system disk image, OS and all, in under 2 seconds, and on a G5 that system (running under an emulator, of course) boots so fast it's effectively instantaneous. Amazing how little the hardware of today thinks of the software of yesteryear.
Only tonight did I discover that the old emulation.net site is down. It seems that Richard Bannister has established a new site. The emulators available through his new site are primarily for classic game consoles. It is a good thing that the mirror of his old site is still available. However, neither it nor any of the other links posted in this thread solve the fundamental problem illuminated in my earlier post. It is a good thing that my copies of vMac and mini vMac work as intended.

Flying Llama

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
Los Angeles
biohazard_6969 said:
omg has neone used this mac on mac thing. its so confusing, i think its what's called the source code of the application....the readme is rele confusing and its telliin me to do all thsi terminal stuff that won't work, it always ssays the directory is bad or something....how can i do this.....all i have is a bunch of files

You shouldn't download the source of it... downlaod the file "Download Mac-on-Mac-v0.2.dmg.zip" at the bottom of this page

llama :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.