Apple OSX and Windows file transferring

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by o2xtreme, Jul 29, 2009.

1. o2xtreme macrumors newbie

Ok, So here's my problem? I have an iMac running the lastest version of OSX with an attached external drive (lets call it, external drive A), which is where i store all my movies and music. I also have a Laptop running windows XP, also with another external drive attached (external drive B). Plus i have an airport express.

I'm currently hoping someone can step me through how I can copy my video and music files to the hard drive attached to the laptop.

I tried the obvious of plugging drive A directly into the laptop and it didnt recognise it, I assume due to the formatting of the drive.

i assume i will have to network them all. can anyone help?

2. assembled macrumors regular

A Windows computer can't read an Apple formatted disk, but an Apple can read a Windows formatted disk.

3. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Wrong. Mac OSX can read any disk with the right software.
    Also, the underlying file system is irrelevant when accessing it over a network. Only the networking protocol is important.

4. belvdr macrumors 603

You're saying the same thing as assembled. You're both saying OS X can read NTFS partitions.

You are correct in that filesystems are irrelevant when accessed across the network, so long as the system directly accessing the filesystem has support.