Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today added a "Why Upgrade" section to its website, which is aimed at encouraging customers with older iPhones to upgrade to a newer model.

iphone-reasons-to-upgrade.jpg

The website allows customers to compare the iPhone 11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max, 12, 12 mini, 12 Pro, and 12 Pro Max to the iPhone 15, iPhone 15 Plus, iPhone 15 Pro, or iPhone 15 Pro Max.

Each comparison shows what new features someone with an older iPhone will get when upgrading to the iPhone 15 lineup. With the iPhone 11, for example, the iPhone 15 offers 4x better photo resolution, more base storage, Action and Cinematic mode for video, USB-C, a 60 percent faster GPU, 5G, and more.

The site highlights differences in display technology, design, sizing, connectivity, and more. Apple also provides details on the trade-in value of each older iPhone so customers know what kind of discount they can get when trading a device in with the purchase of a new iPhone.

To further soften the costs of upgrading, Apple advertises Apple Card Monthly Installments and carrier deals that can drop the price of the iPhone 15 to $0. Apple also details the ease of upgrading to a new device with features like Quick Start and eSIM.

Much of the smartphone market in the United States is saturated, and there are few new customers for Apple. Upgraders are an important market segment, and Apple is continually seeking ways to get customers to regularly purchase new iPhones to maintain sales momentum.

Article Link: Apple Outlines 'Reasons to Upgrade' Your iPhone on New Website

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2015
Ha.... well there you go... giving us reasons to upgrade... literally.

This is the thing, and rightly highlighted at the end of the article... the market in some areas is just saturated. Some people don't need a new iPhone, the one they have is fine.

Upgrade cycles for the vast majority of consumers are getting longer and longer.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2015
Thing is, they know the market is saturated... so they just need to focus on other areas and accept that the sales for iPhones in certain markets is just going to hold at some steady level as people upgrade when their iPhone is no longer supported or just not working.

If they recalibrate for that, and just focus on retaining customers... Im sure there's still a lot of money in that market for them.

The days of rapid growth in smartphones in the west, at least, are long gone.

dandy1117

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
This new webpage is better than many YouTube tech reviewers, who tend to compare the latest iPhone with its immediate predecessor. Although Apple's marketing website is obviously self-serving, this webpage could prompt more "objective" content creators to conduct a comprehensive review for users considering an upgrade from much older hardware.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Ironically I'm still using an XS Max, which is so old to Apple that it's not even worth comparing to newer phones!
I was using an XS until it suddenly got real bad this year. The battery started acting sketchy. I was mulling over paying the $90 to replace the battery or forking up for a new iphone. Ended up buying an iphone 13 from a fire sale deal target had. TBH while I was dragging my feet I switched daily driver duty over to my android phone and found I actually... preferred it? Aside from the apple watch not working with it lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.