Apple Overall Set-Up Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sanctified89, Oct 24, 2013.

1. sanctified89 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, absolutely love the varied discussion and opinions on these forums. This is probably my most visited site next to random Reddit browsing. Speaking of which, I'm trying to decide how to move forward with a "better" Apple set-up.

Currently, I have an iPhone and a 15" "classic" macbook pro 2012. With the announcement of the new iPads (particularly the retina mini), I'm trying to decide how to incorporate it into my Apple ecosystem. I've never been interested in an iPad honestly until fairly recently. It hit me that the only thing I really do on my Macbook is check email, browse the internet, and play some music through iTunes. I used to play video games but I don't have a lot of time for that anymore and any time I have is regulated to my PS3. It really hit me when I learned that I preferred doing all my browsing on my 4" phone rather than my 15" macbook with the computer open right in front of me.

So now I'm debating on selling my MBP to fund the purchase of either a new iPad Air or Mini (both would be 16GB wifi as I do a lot of streaming so lack local storage does not bother me and I can hotspot it to my phone if need be). I realize I still need an actual computer to do document editing/file uploading and the times where a computer would simply be easier for a certain task.

If I sell the MBP for around $1,500 (has a 256GB Samsung SSD and 8GB of Ram) I was thinking the base iPad mini @ $399 and a refurbished 13" 2013 air for $929. Or a $499 iPad Air and a refurbished mac mini. Either way the iPad would have a keyboard case. I would probably prefer a mini form factor as I like that size for a tablet.

Penny for your thoughts guys? :D

2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

The mini keyboard is small and, therefore, any keyboard in a case for the mini will be small. If you plan on doing more writing than answering an email or taking a brief note you will be happier with the full sized iPad (despite being heavier and less portable). Also if you plan to share the screen with someone the larger one is better. Unless you have narrowly defined goals you will be surprised how fast you fill 16 GB with things you didn’t think you cared about.

If there is a place nearby where you can compare the two personally, do that.

3. Hamburger macrumors regular

if you have a little more money to spend, how about a base 21.5" iMac with fusion or 256 SSD/iPad mini combo. You would have a big screen if you need a real computer, and perfect portability with the iPad. But that would obviously run up to $1900..
    And I am not sure if you would really get $1500 for the non-retina MBP these days. you can get a brand new 13" rMBP with 8GB RAM and 256 SSD for the same price.