Apple overclocked iPod Touch in firmware 1.1.2?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by phytonix, Nov 12, 2007.

1. phytonix macrumors 6502

After upgrading to 1.1.2, the SysInfo shows:

CPU Frequency: 412MHz, up from 400MHz
    Bus Frequency: 103MHz, up from 100Mhz

User memory usage also seem to be increased, presumably by reducing the system memory use. I used to get 86M free memory, and now 94M.

I also experienced significant speed increase for running weDict application. I have a couple of dictionary file that are over 20M big. It used to take 4 seconds or for it to look up a word for the first time, and now only less than 1 sec waiting is needed.

So overall 1.1.2 significantly improved performance for me.
    Maybe Apple overclocked it?

2. phytonix thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone else experienced the same thing or opposite?

3. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

I had heard anecdotal reports of some faster UI, so hopefully this is true.

I doubt Apple would overclock the hardware too much, as it would impact battery life. (but they seem to have bumped it slightly...) The numbers you report don't seem big enough to have such an impact (4x faster!) on something like that.

More likely there was code optimization that results in the faster performance. If so, that's great! Code optimization might also conserve battery consumption, allowing them to slightly bump the hardware clock. It may be that the system is reporting back a different number for other reasons, but the hardware has not changed.

Do you notice speed improvements in any other areas?

4. phytonix thread starter macrumors 6502

I have not used it too much. But it seems most apps are snappier. Safari render speed and scrolling esp. when opening TUAW.com seems faster. It used to be a pain to scroll, before the page was completely loaded.

5. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Cool, thanks for the info. I also notice the same thing, a lot of times I'll just hit 'stop' before it finishes loading (because it's likely just loading extraneous ads or graphics) before scrolling a big page.

Let us know if the performance improvement continues. I guess I'll now have to look more closely into the upgrade procedure... ;)