Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Shazam, the song discovery app that's now owned by Apple, received a minor bug fix update last week, which, according to AppFigures, removes all third-party SDKs.

Shazam for iOS is no longer using ad networks, analytics trackers, or open-source utilities that had the potential to provide app usage data to third-party companies.

shazam-ad-free-800x510.jpg

Admob, Bolts, Doubleclick, FB Ads, FB Analytics, FB login, Inmobi, IAS, Moat, and Mopub SDKS were all eliminated in the update. The only third-party SDK still in the Shazam iOS app is HockeyApp, which is a Microsoft testing app similar to TestFlight.

Multiple third-party SDKs were also uninstalled on Android, though some services remain in place.

Following the completion of its acquisition of Shazam in September, Apple pulled ads from the app and made it ad free. Prior to Apple's purchase of Shazam, the app featured several advertisements.

Article Link: Apple-Owned Shazam App for iOS Drops Third-Party SDKs in Latest Update

freezah

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2012
Apple, please bring back date time details about each discovery, maybe add street address to it.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I wish Apple made it mandatory for apps to disclose all of the ad/tracking services that are in them. Had no idea Shazam was that loaded but not surprised
Oh yeah they’re awful. Apple itself presents a bare minimum invasion of our privacy but you have to understand everything we do is out there anyway, already fully assimilated and collated and packaged to sell by data brokers in the countries that permit this.

Our US carriers alone have trafficked in information about our location and some of our habits. But to me, it’s what is on simple public records that is more than enough “TMI”. It’s invasive financial information and includes in the US all the homes you’ve ever lived at and with whom and what you paid and tax information. Compared to that, who cares what I listen to or what brand of socks I buy. It’s very depressing.

ikramerica

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2009
Now next iOS should provide built in VPN support with VPNs provided by Apple, with the option to set “always” for wifi, always for all, or to designate home/trusted wifi networks where you dont need it.

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Apple, please bring back date time details about each discovery, maybe add street address to it.
Can't see them doing that, but if you let Shazam automatically add tracks to a "My Shazam Tracks" Apple Music playlist the playlist will keep note of the exact time and date when it was added.

Reactions: Gsmaniac

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
just a reminder to all, that there's no such thing as a free app. If you didn't pay for it (and probably if you did too) you're more likely than not being tracked.

Reactions: racerhomie

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
Hmmm. Is SoundHound still better tho?
Was it ever? Maybe it could find certain songs that Shazam didnt, but those were very few.
Am I seeing this right - a notable drop in app size? Used to be 100MB now 59MB?
Thank god. Before Shazam was bought by apple their app sucked soooo bad. It was laggy and it ate a lot of space for god knows what kind of tracking bullcrap.

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
Was it ever? Maybe it could find certain songs that Shazam didnt, but those were very few.

Thank god. Before Shazam was bought by apple their app sucked soooo bad. It was laggy and it ate a lot of space for god knows what kind of tracking bullcrap.

Results of music:music I don't doubt are identical. But SoundHound lets YOU sing, or hum, and matches the song. Shazam, insofar as I had used it, does not. And it's an honest question, because the no-tracking aspect is quite honestly a killer feature.

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Good. I guess it's finally time for me to retire the ad-free Shazam Encore version of the app (which is no longer available in the app store but is still being maintained for existing users).

Reactions: Marekul
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.