Apple Pages eating up 4GB Ram

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by seanymega, Dec 16, 2013.

1. seanymega macrumors newbie

Hi,

Today I noticed that my computer started to move really slow, it's a Mid 2012 Macbook Pro i7 8GB ram with 750GB HD.

When checking Activity Monitor it seemed that Apple Pages was using around 4GB of ram, does this sound right? After I closed it, my computer seemed to go back to normal again.

:confused:

Anyone able to help or is it something else my computer is doing?

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

This doesn't sound like anything I've seen before. I use Pages and LibreOffice for documents. I've toyed around with MS Office 2011 but came back to Pages. I seem to remember MS Office was a memory piglet but Pages was not. Since you closed it and everything went back to normal, I would say that's the thing to do if it ever happens again.

Does Pages gobble memory if you open it and leave it sitting there? If so, I suggest you force-quit it and allow OSX to send a report to Apple. You can include comments in the report and hopefully if there's some sort of memory leak, Apple will fix it.

I have first hand experience with Apple fixing things I found in OSX. I've seen comments in the release notes (back in the days of Tiger and Leopard) that looked as if I wrote them. By all means, do not hesitate to force quit and submit reports to Apple on any OSX app that you think is misbehaving. Of course you will need to save your work before you force quit.

3. seanymega thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand what you mean it is a bit strange. Either way, it started doing it again today and I haven't got it open. Have a look at the screenshot of activity monitor;
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ifgmc7i1ibpp5jn/Screen Shot 2013-12-17 at 12.10.47.png