Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coupdetat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Does anyone know how to stop this obnoxious behavior? Pages and TextEdit both like to insert extremely variable amounts of space in lines of text following sentences. For example, in one line I will hit space twice, and get a very, very small gap to the next sentence. On the next line, I'll hit space twice and get a H U G E gap. I'm working on a scientific paper and the inconsistent spacing looks VERY bad. I haven't found any way to disable this "feature", does anyone know how to get rid of it?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It sounds like it's not the program; it sounds like your space bar is sticking. It may need to be removed and cleaned.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
Just a thought, do you have have it set to justify both sides of the text (i.e. the text is aligned at both the left and the right)? That usually results in uneven spacing due to trying to accommodate the add amounts of space needed to align both sides.

coupdetat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Thanks!! Justify was my problem.

And no, I think I would notice if my keyboard was sticking :rolleyes:

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Justified text is not set as the default on any of the templates I've used.

Either way, you should learn to use Pages' style settings. Once you do, you will become a much, much happier Pages user.

coupdetat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I'm not sure how it got enabled, actually. I thought it was default, but I checked my other paragraphs and they were left-justified. Beats me. Maybe I copied justified text from a different app at some point. Thanks for the help though!

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Okay, but seriously open that Styles drawer and learn how to use it. It's really simple to use and very powerful. Learn how to use styles in Pages and you'll never have to worry about weird formatting being inherited from other documents again. You also wonder how anybody could live with the lousy way Word handles styles.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
Either way, you should learn to use Pages' style settings. Once you do, you will become a much, much happier Pages user.

Thanks for the tip. I can now say goodbye to formatting and font changes annoying the bejesus out of me!

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Thanks for the tip. I can now say goodbye to formatting and font changes annoying the bejesus out of me!

I'm the self-appointed styles evangelist around here. Like any good evangelist, I hope beating people over the head with my bible will knock some sense into them, instead of being merely annoying. ;)

exegete77

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
I can only echo how critical it is to use styles, whether in Pages, Word, Nisus Writer Pro, Mellel, Papyrus, RagTime, OpenOffice, NeoOffice, etc. (I have used them all, as well as Word on Windows).

I have been frustrated for years with Word users who never use styles, then wonder why they can't provide a consistent product. :rolleyes:

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I have been frustrated for years with Word users who never use styles, then wonder why they can't provide a consistent product. :rolleyes:

They don't use styles because Word implements them so poorly. The sad part is these bad Word habits get carried over into Pages, which actually does them well. I don't know that many even wonder why the end product isn't consistent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.