Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
To put this into some perspective: In April 2010, Apple introduced its first in-house processor, the A4. It was build on a 45nm node. Now we are looking at a 1.6 or even 1.4nm nodes. That's insane. to go from 45nm to 1.4nm in 16 years...that's about a 96.5% drop in node size.
This is misleading. The 45 nm process had a gate pitch of 160 nm, and the 2 nm and 1 nm processes have a predicted gate pitch of 45 and 42 nm, respectively. In that measure, it’s a reduction to 35–38 % over 16-ish years, which is still impressive, but less unexpected.

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
reminds me of the video from Seagate with respect to size

I love that video- since it summarizes where we're standing today:

and the historic video that triggered my interest 1 ½ decades ago

These are awesome @jo-1 !!! Thanks for sharing them. I just sent links to my nephew and hope it inspires his interest as it did with you. It’s posts like yours that make MR a special community. Thank you 🙏🏽.

• Love
Reactions: jo-1

Le0M

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2020
To put this into some perspective: In April 2010, Apple introduced its first in-house processor, the A4. It was build on a 45nm node. Now we are looking at a 1.6 or even 1.4nm nodes. That's insane. to go from 45nm to 1.4nm in 16 years...that's about a 96.5% drop in node size.
I doubt it. Since these numbers apparently are just based on marketing, and not physics, then we have no way to say how much these chips really shrank.

soyazul

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2015
Argentina
Can we please move to Angstroms? I mean, 16Å is a whole lot cooler than 1.6nm. Plus we get to use a fun glyph.
Could work, or we just can move on to the next name in the scale. Introducing the Picometer.

The measurement system that this site has to leave behind is imperial, and stays in the rational metric system—the one that the whole world uses, except the USA and two little islands.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Process dimensions are only one metric... there are so many other ways they can move forward

Process shrinkage was actually an easy way to advance designs... except for the manufacturing angle.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
Can we please move to Angstroms? I mean, 16Å is a whole lot cooler than 1.6nm. Plus we get to use a fun glyph.
Oh no, we can’t do that. 16 is a larger number than 1.6 so less (shall we say) attentive readers would think the new chip is actually BIGGER rather than smaller than the current one. Marketing would have a cow. 🤡

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
So, 3nm for 2024
2nm for 2025 (and probably also 2026)
16A for 2027.

Meanwhile, Intel's plan is
20A (aka 2nm) for 2024
18A for 2025
14A for 2026
10A for 2027

In terms of roadmaps, Intel is projecting themselves to be ahead of TSMC. If that turns out to be true, then TSMC is going to have to beat their employees harder.
Do you think Intel will hit those targets? And are they measuring these the same way?

neilw

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2003
New Jersey
The rate of change having gotten slower means precisely that Moore’s law doesn’t hold anymore.
Technically true, but my recollection is that speculation and predictions back then were much more dire than simply "slows down a bit".

It's kind of funny that Apple is now in a similar situation to where Intel has been... beholden to process shrinks in order to achieve generational gains. They can still do "tock" updates but ultimately, as TSMC goes so goes Apple.

HVDynamo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
I remember when they were saying that the end of Moore's law was in sight, and the practicality of smaller nodes was doubtful... that was *decades* and many, many shrinks ago. The rate of change has gotten slower but they're still marching forward. Pretty amazing.

Presumably they'll hit a wall eventually, and it'll be mighty interesting to see what happens then.
We already are at a fairly rigid wall, so it's happening right now. It will just get more and more difficult to make newer nodes each time. The massive increase in density mentioned is ~10% for this node. Not really massive, but still impressive at this scale regardless. Some components haven't been able to shrink in a while now (memory is a good example).

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
"This development is expected to provide an 8-10% increase in speed and a 15-20% reduction in power consumption at the same speeds compared to TSMC's N2P process, alongside up to a 1.10x chip density improvement."

I'm not sure this is correct.
The 2023 plan was that N2 was about GAA, and N2P was about adding BSPD.
What seems to be new is a relabelling, what was going to be called N2P is now going to be called A16.
This is a justifiable change, IMHO, in that adding BSPD is a large enough improvement that a new "half-node" name is justified.

(Which won't, of course, stop the usual crowd from telling us, the same way they have told us for 10+ years now, that the node name is unjustified, it's "lying", there is nothing on the chip sized at 16A, etc etc. Like this is some sort of news no-one knows, where the only real ignorance is that these people STILL, after ten year, dom't understand how node-naming works - and refuse to learn.)

ElectricPotato

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2018
Seattle
The feature size TSMC (or Intel) quotes is not based on real physical features.

That is the best take on the current naming scheme: no relation to physical features.

The most plausible proposed explanation I've seen for it is:
IF they still used a planar process, which they do not, it would require features of that size to achieve the same density.

Reactions: Victor Mortimer

blastdoor

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2022
Do you think Intel will hit those targets? And are they measuring these the same way?
Great question. Regarding the first question, I’ll bet the schedule eventually slips by a year. Regarding the second question, Intel changed their naming to line up with TSMC, so I suspect it is measured in about the same way.

My confidence in Intel has increased since Gelsinger returned. Intel finally got Intel 7 out the door and then Intel 4. So they are showing competence again.

Another question is volume— how much can they produce? And I bet they will be capacity constrained for a while. Maybe they could produce the M lineup, but probably not the A.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
"This development is expected to provide an 8-10% increase in speed and a 15-20% reduction in power consumption at the same speeds compared to TSMC's N2P process, alongside up to a 1.10x chip density improvement."

I'm not sure this is correct.
The 2023 plan was that N2 was about GAA, and N2P was about adding BSPD.
What seems to be new is a relabelling, what was going to be called N2P is now going to be called A16.
This is a justifiable change, IMHO, in that adding BSPD is a large enough improvement that a new "half-node" name is justified.

Probably is correct. Basically taken from the TSMC press release. Following is TSMC graphic (see copyright on the photo) .

mjEGKugAM7DPXKGJuqdneK-1200-80.png

TSMC is being cautious. They are doing GAA without backside first (N2). Then applying only backside ( N2P) . And only then going to push harder for more density ( I think this is when they are transitioning to High NA EUV fab machines. ). Just doing one substantive change at a time reduces risk. N2P is going to be relaxed enough so they don't run into too many multipatterning problems ( similar to N3E versus N3B) .

There is 20% drop from 20 to 16 but only really getting, at best, 10% . It is getting more and more marketing numbers to cover up the slower ( and increasingly more expensive) changes. The only 20% can hand wave at is the power reduction. ( which will get same speed as last gen ... so how many HPC designers are going to choose that? )

Reactions: jdb8167

dozoy

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2024
I remember when they were saying that the end of Moore's law was in sight, and the practicality of smaller nodes was doubtful... that was *decades* and many, many shrinks ago. The rate of change has gotten slower but they're still marching forward. Pretty amazing.

Presumably they'll hit a wall eventually, and it'll be mighty interesting to see what happens then.

Remember that this is just a naming scheme, the actual gate pitch will be somewhere like 40-45 nm.

Correct. 3nm does not mean each transistor is 3nm wide. "3nm" is a marketing term.

Reactions: Victor Mortimer

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
Probably is correct. Basically taken from the TSMC press release. Following is TSMC graphic (see copyright on the photo) .

mjEGKugAM7DPXKGJuqdneK-1200-80.png

TSMC is being cautious. They are doing GAA without backside first (N2). Then applying only backside ( N2P) . And only then going to push harder for more density ( I think this is when they are transitioning to High NA EUV fab machines. ). Just doing one substantive change at a time reduces risk. N2P is going to be relaxed enough so they don't run into too many multipatterning problems ( similar to N3E versus N3B) .

There is 20% drop from 20 to 16 but only really getting, at best, 10% . It is getting more and more marketing numbers to cover up the slower ( and increasingly more expensive) changes. The only 20% can hand wave at is the power reduction. ( which will get same speed as last gen ... so how many HPC designers are going to choose that? )

Look at the dates.
2H 2026 is when N2P was supposed to ship. BSPD is the headline feature that was supposed to be added to N2P.
The improvements are all inline (relative to N2) with what N2P was expected to deliver.

Below was the roadmap in 2023. The point is how it has changed as of 2024.

Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 1.16.02 PM.png

You're not fully understanding what's going on here.
- A16 does not use high-NA EUV.
TSMC A14 probably will, but I don't know if that's been confirmed yet

- BSPD requires somewhat more rethinking of chip layout than many previous node improvements (for example I've seen some Apple patents for alternative SRAM cache layouts that exploit BSPD). My guess is that some customers told TSMC that, rather than having the next upgrade to N2 (ie N2P) based on BSPD, they'd prefer an "easy" optical-shrink-style upgraded node, with BSPD placed on a different track, one that requires a new design rather than a slightly updated design.
ie this is not about "failure" or "slowing down", it's about TSMC being responsive to customers, the same attitude that got them to number one, and that keeps them there. Same reason that there's a "Mainstream" TSMC track with nodes like N4P and N3P that are "easy" upgrades for existing customer designs.

I don't think we can be at all sure just how much density boost BSPD can deliver, in part because it depends on how aggressively chips are redesigned, and in part on how aggressively TSMC is willing to add more backside metal layers.
Obviously moving power to the backside relieves some wiring congestion, which in turn allows for denser SRAM.
You can then also move clock to the backside and remove more congestion – but can you do that with TSMC's first version of the tech? Quite possibly not; it's standard TSMC practice to add just one thing at a time and refine it each year, not to add the full range of possibilities at once. Same thing for at least certain types of signal data.

And please spare us the editorial commentary on how these improvements are all marketing, they aren't real, they're too expensive, blah, blah. These complaints were boring when they were applied to N14 and they're even more boring ten years later.
You'd think people repeating the same damn thing (and being wrong) every year would learn something, but apparently not...

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
I doubt it. Since these numbers apparently are just based on marketing, and not physics, then we have no way to say how much these chips really shrank.
Would you accept transistor count as a proxy? While it doesn’t directly speak to chip “shrinkage” it does somewhat speak to chip density as I don’t believe the SOC physical dimensions have changed significantly. If so, transistor count has more than doubled from A13 Bionic (released September 2019 and having 8.5 billion) to A17 Pro (released September 2023 and having 19 billion transistors). With that as a metric, that’s a pretty impressive 100%+ “improvement” in 4 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.