Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Partners With Popular YouTubers for Possible Upcoming Ad Campaign

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At VidCon this year, Apple was reportedly in talks with a few popular YouTube channels, suggesting the possibility of an advertising campaign collaboration between the Cupertino-based company and YouTubers like Louis Cole and Wong Fu Productions. Similar to Apple's experimentation with advertising the iPhone 5c on Tumblr, a move to partner with well-known YouTubers with subscribers numbering in the millions could help attract a younger-skewing audience for Apple.

Specifically, Louis' channel "FunForLouis" has just north of 1.5 million subscribers, while Wong Fu Productions has about 2.5 million. Louis made his partnership with Apple known in a video posted in early August, detailing a meeting at Apple HQ in San Francisco, which was instigated earlier in the summer at VidCon, the yearly conference for YouTube creators in Anaheim. Louis remains understandably silent on the specifics of the meeting in the San Francisco vlog, but does confirm he and Apple will be collaborating on something together in the future.

"Well guys, that was an exciting, but very long meeting. We ended up going for some food and drinks and stuff in a bar, but turns out I'm going to be doing some stuff with Apple. They don't work with many people, but we're going to be doing some stuff together, which is exciting. I can't tell you more than that."
Wong Fu Production's potential connection with Apple comes from a report out of Ad Week, suggesting that the sketch comedy channel was "paired" with Apple at VidCon in a sort of speed-date set up by the conference. Far less of an official meeting between the two as Louis Cole had, there's still the potential that Wong Fu could see a similar partnership with the company as Louis' channel. The style of videos differ drastically between Louis and Wong Fu, with the former presenting a detailed travelogue of his various adventures around the world, and the latter publishing straight-forward comedic skit and parody videos.

Although their styles don't mesh together, Apple could be creating a new ad campaign, possibly for the upcoming "iPhone 6s" and "iPhone 6s Plus," that centers on creatives from YouTube using the company's new products as the main tools for shooting, editing, and publishing content for their channel. Even though FunForLouis and Wong Fu Productions aren't even close to the most popular channels on the site (the top 100 range in descending order from 38 million to 6 million subscribers), if Apple keeps partnering up with distinctive channels, it could create an interesting, idiosyncratic ad campaign.

Article Link: Apple Partners With Popular YouTubers for Possible Upcoming Ad Campaign

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I don't do youtube. I don't do TV. THe only time I see an Apple add is when it gets posted here in MR. I know they millennials watch youtube so I get why Apple would want to explore that chanel, but seriously, it's owned by Google or abc.xyz or whatever they are called these days. Do they really want to go there? (yes, I am aware that they are already "there," so don't reply with pointless facts please :D).

Reactions: PowerBook-G5
Comment

Gwendolini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
random
I don't do youtube. I don't do TV. THe only time I see an Apple add is when it gets posted here in MR. I know they millennials watch youtube so I get why Apple would want to explore that chanel, but seriously, it's owned by Google or abc.xyz or whatever they are called these days. Do they really want to go there? (yes, I am aware that they are already "there," so don't reply with pointless facts please :D).

I am close to 40 and am watching YouTube occasionally in bursts, others do as well.

And as many of those top YouTubers have subscribers in various ages, probably most in the ages from 14 to 29, which is an important age group for advertising, this could become a very good deal for both parties, even if the negativity associated with Apple might become a detriment to some subscribers.

And isn't there an adage like get them while they're young? I switched in my 20s and am still not considering switching again, as they currently got me and a lot of my money. As the younger crowd also seems to be, only seems to be, quite interested in gadgets and computers, this is a big opportunity for having them switch again, or twist again.

Comment

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
I've looked at YouTube maybe 15 times in the past couple years. Nothing more than once. Where do subscribers get all that time to devote?

Comment

ronntaylor

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2004
Flushing, New York
My time on YouTube is greatly reduced compared to years past. (Mostly old music and tech reviews) So I have no idea who any of these people are. I wish Apple would have bought Vimeo years ago when it was much cheaper.

Last edited:
Comment

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
YouTube Apple White list: Fine Brothers, Lia Marie Johnson, Boxxy

YouTube Apple Black List: Pewdeepie, Tyler Oakley, Boxxy

I can see Pew be a totally b*tch being picked over and giving Apple free publicity.

Comment

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68030
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I've looked at YouTube maybe 15 times in the past couple years. Nothing more than once. Where do subscribers get all that time to devote?

Simple. We (millennials) replaced the time the older generation set aside for sitting in front of a TV set waiting on a cable program to come on, with streaming services (which I bundle YouTube into). Watch whatever you want, where ever you are. Personally, I would hardly miss cable TV shows if they suddenly ceased to exist, but YouTube is a different story.

Comment

Edgar Spayce

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
Another sign that Apple is completely loosing it.

First they did it with iTunes and the whole iTunes festival and Apple music: the reason why Apple never sponsored anything until then is because the holy grail of expert marketing is to not associate your image with anything that is not neutral or doesn't come from you.

Having a concert at the end is okay, it's not much detrimental, but doing going the way to do actual curation and put One Direction and Lady Gaga at a festival then curating rap music on Apple music is a sure way to subtly, slowly but surely do irreversible damage to your image.

But now this? Association with the lowest form of advertisement media which is Youtubers? It's yet another BIG mistakes they're making, and this time there won't be a Steve Jobs (and obviously no one with a vision) at Apple to repair the damages.

Comment

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Simple. We (millennials) replaced the time the older generation set aside for sitting in front of a TV set waiting on a cable program to come on, with streaming services (which I bundle YouTube into). Watch whatever you want, where ever you are. Personally, I would hardly miss cable TV shows if they suddenly ceased to exist, but YouTube is a different story.
This is a trend that broadcasters are fighting tooth and claw. Video on demand and user selective streaming goes right against the grain of their "control the content" mindset for social influence. At least the analog tv channels went away freeing up a lot of bandwidth for new services.

The current young adult generation is intolerant of a broadcast schedule where they have to wait at an appointed time to see a pre-recorded event. About the only time they will accept a scheduled broadcast event are live broadcasts for shows such as a sporting event.

One story I heard is Fox was in an attempt to take the media rights of the Olympic Games from NBC. Plan was making all of the events live streamed across the Internet. Supposedly it would have built a web site for all events including opening, closing and medal ceremonies as the games progressed.

Then users could stream any event they wanted at any time with revenue from ads on the site. Supposedly the cronies would have nothing of it where "Consumer selected viewing schedules would break up the community of the experience." Meanwhile, ad hoc Olympic events on YouTube are very popular.

Comment

itsthenewdc

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, FL
They should have signed with Casey Neistat. Amazing advertiser and filmmaker.
He's a good vlogger, but that's about it. Any of the "commercials" he does are always just vlogs.

I'm guessing casey is very busy with his beme company so probably no time to work on projects like this.
Busy with Beme.. the crappy version of Snapchat that only has any traction due to this vlogs. He raised a couple million, so he and his crew already got their payday, but there's no way Beme will actually bring them in any money, and will just be a flop. He used his vlog popularity to make this happen. Sadly, it'll just be like any of these other tech startups that try to improve upon an already mainstream product idea, get investors, and then flop because the mainstream apps take whatever good features were there to take. Props to him to getting the money though. Can't knock his hustle.

Comment

L T

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2013
UK
As a result of this meeting, Apple send Louis a brand new 15 inch MacBook Pro even though his existing one seemed to be fine. Also, since Louis announced the partnership, pretty much every advert on his videos have been the Beats radio commercials

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.