Apple password

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kenglade, May 1, 2013.

1. kenglade macrumors 6502

Am I the only one continuously having problems with Apple ID and password? I've lost count of how many times I've had to change my password because I'm unable to log in.

This morning I tried to purchase an app from the Mac Store and was told my password was not correct. So I changed it, then tried the new password only to be told it also was incorrect.

I don't want to spend an hour or so changing passwords. has anyone figured a workaround or a way to resolve this issue?

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

3. benwiggy macrumors 68020

When I first got Lion, I had problems of this sort. I fixed them by removing the iCloud account from the Mac in System Prefs and then adding it back again.
    (Essentially trashing and recreating some pref file.)

4. kenglade thread starter macrumors 6502

yep

----------

That's a thought. Never occurred to me but I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

5. Choctaw macrumors 6502

Choctaw

Yep...MY PW & ID won't work anymore !

Got my new iMac Aug 3, 2013. As being new to Apple I consider myself lucky to have had only a few issues. Only called Apple once the first day to fix an Apple password, ID situation.

Called them last night to fix the same condition. My Apple ID and Password would not work. Talked with 2 different persons. Nothing got fixed. The 1st person had me repeating over and over the same thing trying to log in with the PW & ID...which always gave an error "unknown error". or incorrect PW or ID. He have me go to the Apple store and type the PW & ID trying to purchase and it did not work, then back to a site at appleid.apple.com which would not let me in.

After an hour of the tech fumbling with the situation. He then had his supervisor (it was his call) come on line. At that moment I suggested that I was getting nowhere. He told me the 1st tech was new, and that this new tech had the ability to fix things right up. We then went thru the same stuff of putting in ID & PW that would not work......he then had me remove a file in the library called com.apple.safari.plist to the trash. force quit safari and start over. He did not have an explanation of why this action was done. Also asked me to unplug my router which I use for my phone thru a VOIP so I did not do that. The asked me how many bookmarks I had, and wanted to erase them. NOTHING worked and after...yes another hour. I said to forget it, time to go to sleep. He said you will need to call me back tomorrow and we can fix it. I said NO that if I even call back I will start with a new helper. He said....well, if you do that you might get someone like the 1st tech that knows very little. Boy that is a red flag to me.

I mentioned this forum as a helping hand ....the Apple tech said Don't ever go with them.....most of what is said is wrong and will in some case make your computer worse.

So here I sit wondering why my ID & PW does not work, I can't download from Apple, can't buy from them and can't sit up a backup ....I have not done that because I need an external drive for the iMac which I did not know when a purchased it. Trying to buy an external hard drive on line was when I encountered the problem of ID & PW not working. I am going to Apple store today and get a HD, will ask about the ID & PW but don't expect to get any answers.

Sorry for the long drawn out situation here....don't eat me alive. I am new and finding out that forums like this one are what has my back, not the Apple techs, at least not on this simple situation.

Choctaw.

6. kenglade thread starter macrumors 6502

Know exactly what you mean. Good luck. i switched from PC to Mac a few years ago and have no regrets. Once you get the hang of the process, it is considerably more preferable. thanks for your response.

7. Choctaw macrumors 6502

Choctaw

Kengladg.....Thanks for your response. I have been on PC's since 1982.I know the system well. Can fix most all of it, accept the malware/virus stuff. If it were not for Win 8 I would not have my new iMac. We use a network with 3 PC's ....so I added the iMac to start learning something that will over time allows me trash the others hopefully. I use a web building program, XARA which is only for PC development, but they tell me I can use the Mac for this program with Windows somehow installed. But that ain't gonna happen....this OS X is special and I will not mix it with MS and bring in all the virus threats that go with it. So I will use my Win 7 with Xara and hope it somehow will be usable on the Mac over time.

The situation of ID & PW seems to be affiliated with cookies and I am working on that now.
    Choctaw

8. Choctaw macrumors 6502

Choctaw

Hey get this, I use a VOIP phone connection running thru my broadband rougher. I could access my account on a PC, but not on my new iMac. Called a little lady at Basic Talk and she fixed it right off. The Apple tech should have been right on it. So simple, delete cookies. Now everything works fine. It is difficult for me to understand Apple Care and what might have been a once in a life time occurrence......they acted like it was such a difficult thing to fix... just another day. I am learning more from the web forums on OS X than from their company.
    Choctaw