Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Patent Applications: Heartbeat Biometrics, Multidimensional Dashboard Widgets

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

A pair of interesting patent applications from Apple were published today by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office revealing concepts Apple engineers have been tossing around as they work to develop features for future products.

iPhone with various cardiac activity monitor leads (322, 324, 326)
Unwired View points to an application entitled "Seamlessly Embedded Heart Rate Monitor", and while some might assume that Apple is looking to build new Nike+ capabilities into its mobile devices, the company's focus on this technology actually appears to be related to biometric identification of users.
To determine the user's heart rate, heartbeat, or other cardiac signals, the electronic device can include one or more sensors embedded in the device. The one or more sensors can include leads for receiving electrical signals from the user's heart. . . . To provide an electrical signal from the user to the processing circuitry, the leads can be exposed such that the user may directly contact the leads, or may instead or in addition be coupled to an electrically conductive portion of the device enclosure (e.g., a metallic bezel or housing forming the exterior of the device).
In particular, Apple envisions the use of heartbeat signals either for authenticating a user for access to the device's content or for identifying the user and loading a customized profile utilizing their preset preferences for the device.

A second patent application, entitled "Multidimensional Widgets", demonstrates Apple's research into offering Dashboard widgets with multiple sides, allowing users to rotate them in virtual three dimensions to present different data or functionality and reduce visual clutter.

As an example, Apple describes a stock ticker widget where a user can define each side of a three-dimensional widget to contain detailed financial information on a single stock. The widget could adapt in shape to the number of entries made by the user, expanding or contracting based on additions or subtractions.
For example, a three-dimensional widget with four or fewer functions can be of the form of a tetrahedron; a three-dimensional widget with five or six functions can be of the form of a hexahedron; a three-dimensional widget with seven or eight functions can be of the form of a octahedron; and a three-dimensional widget with nine functions can be of the form of a dodecahedron. Thus, if a user specifies ten stock tickers for quotes and technicals, the widget 420 can expand from a hexahedron to a dodecahedron.
Apple also describes a "widget receptacle", where multiple 3D widgets could be grouped together based on certain criteria and represented on a single larger 3D surface. Upon activation of one of the faces of the receptacle, the corresponding widget would be instantiated on its own.

Representation of a widget receptacle housing multiple widgets
Apple has explored other virtual multidimensional interface environments in previous patent applications, including on an iPhone-like mobile device and in a 3D desktop similar to that used by BumpTop, which was recently acquired by Google.

Article Link: Apple Patent Applications: Heartbeat Biometrics, Multidimensional Dashboard Widgets

toughluck

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2009
Austin, Texas
Nice

I have a few concerns about safety with this but i'm sure they wouldn't have gone through the process of patenting unless Apple knew it was a safe method of accessing information. I just saw this on 9 to 5 mac and it looks really promising for mac products that you share at home with your family or something. allowing for the device to be customized for the specific user its in the hands of. It was also suggested it could read mood which could be good for iAds allowing them to know who you really feel about the ad so they know what apps to advertise on. its a really promising technology especially with the new back on the next iPhone which is reminiscent of the material where the three sensors are placed on the front.

toughluck

Comment

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
So I read all the complaints about AT&T's service and now Apple wants to handicap people with irregular heartbeat, arrhythmia, or having a heart attack with a lock out of phone service?! :eek:

Comment

droz

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2007
So I read all the complaints about AT&T's service and now Apple wants to handicap people with irregular heartbeat, arrhythmia, or having a heart attack with a lock out of phone service?! :eek:

c'mon people. get a grip.

Comment

jamesnajera

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
The 3D stuff reminds me of Project Looking Glass by the late Sun Microsystems. To bad Sun did not do a good job marketing that.

Comment

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
To determine the user's heart rate, heartbeat, or other cardiac signals, the electronic device can include one or more sensors embedded in the device.

As if we needed more proof that SJ is aging (as we all are). He will be the most high-tech geriatric in the retirement home. ;)

Comment

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I cannot imagine having sensitive enough data on my PHONE that I'd have to resort to biometrics to unlock it. Good Lord. A passcode will do just fine.

Comment

RalfTheDog

macrumors 65832
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point

What about zombies? What about those who have more than one heart? What about people who think they are a talking dog?

Comment

photobiker

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2006
the widget 420 can expand from a hexahedron to a dodecahedron

How can they come up with stuff like that?
These guys must have smoked too much widget!

Comment

in one ear

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2009
could be so awesome. there are so many things you can do with measuring heart rate and resistance..

Comment

Big Kahuna

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2010
Minnesoota
Actually I came up with all of those ideas months ago. It's a damn shame I left them in a bar, written on a napkin. :cool:

Comment

vidster

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2009
OK, keep YOUR passcode

I cannot imagine having sensitive enough data on my PHONE that I'd have to resort to biometrics to unlock it. Good Lord. A passcode will do just fine.

Ya think your passcode is more secure than fingerprints? Biometrics offer the promise for better security AND convenience. I'm sure either Apple or 3rd party will enable you to still type, or tap morse code for access if you wish. :)

Comment

coldplaysucks.

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Ya think your passcode is more secure than fingerprints? Biometrics offer the promise for better security AND convenience. I'm sure either Apple or 3rd party will enable you to still type, or tap morse code for access if you wish. :)

Exactly, this will go well with my biometric fingerprint door entry system :)

Comment

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
c'mon people. get a grip.

Explain your comment, please.

Do you mean:

"Apple would never lock anyone from phone service based on this"

or

"Apple will never actually deploy these patents"

or?

The poster you replied to has a big point. EKGs/ECGs are not constant. I doubt to a very high extent that you can couple an EKG to a person, unlike iris scans, vein scans and fingerprints. Also, the EKG will vary depending on how you grip the sensors on the phone, and even depending on which hand you use.

So, I'm actually confused about what Apple's doing here.

If a valid user gets an arrythmia, what is the phone going to do?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.