Apple Patent Awarded for Liquid Metal / Sapphire Display Apparatus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jrswizzle, May 28, 2014.

1. jrswizzle, May 28, 2014
    Last edited: May 28, 2014

jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

2. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    This patent isn't about making a drop proof phone.

It's about making it easier (cheaper?) to manufacture a metal case holding a glass or plastic piece.

Specifically, it's about not having to machine both those parts to fine tolerances, as instead they'll just mold the metal and gasket around the glass or plastic edges. Voila. Instant perfect fit.

It sure makes for a non-easily replaceable piece, though. You'd have to buy the whole shebang together, since there's no way to replace just the molded-in glass.

3. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Sapphire is not damage proof! It will break due to it's hardness. It will resist scratches very well.

4. jrswizzle thread starter macrumors 603

jrswizzle

http://www.designntrend.com/article...atent-sapphire-iphone-liquidmetal-chassis.htm

"While current iPhone displays are attached to a shock-absorbing rubberized gasket to reduce shock impact when the smartphone is dropped, LiquidMetal would provide a tougher alternative."

We're talking about an alternative to the current display apparatus. I would assume the ability to mold the sapphire display directly into a liquid metal chassis would also pave the way for an edge-to-edge display....something that is difficult given the current design of said display.

----------

Not saying it is - but Liquid metal is extremely tough.....

"Due to their non-crystalline (amorphous) structures, Liquidmetals are harder than alloys of titanium or aluminum of similar composition."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquidmetal

----------

More info:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14...pphire-displays-in-liquidmetal-iphone-chassis

Not saying it wouldn't make it "easier" (or perhaps cheaper) to produce. But it seems it would also make the display apparatus tougher as well.

5. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Rumors of a liquid metal iPhone have been around since Apple bought the company a few years ago :rolleyes:

6. jrswizzle thread starter macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Yup - but a newly granted patent with specific details on how they might use said material is interesting. ;)

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

How many times does it have to pointed out that internet articles rarely get a patent's purpose correct?

The patent does not mention making anything more rugged, or drop proof, or anything like that.

The patent's stated purpose is as "a method and an apparatus which allows for the tolerances associated with a metal frame and a glass component, or a metal frame and a plastic component, to be substantially relaxed".

Think back to the recent tolerance problems making iPhones, and how Apple talked about needing to match up each case with a particular piece to fit correctly.

This is a solution to that problem.

8. jrswizzle thread starter macrumors 603

jrswizzle

I understand - but that doesn't mean structural integrity isn't increased. This isn't some "fantasy" - simply a logical assertion given the strength of liquid metal and increased toughness of the overall sapphire/liquid metal apparatus.

Maybe the headline was a little out there - so what else is new.....

I edited the title of the thread. Take deep breaths....it'll all be ok ;)

9. larrygornick macrumors member

Oh my word, people. Nothing is "unbreakable". Nothing. every advance that is being made just makes it harder to break. It is just safer. Is that just not good enough? I think that it's great, it's going to be a cool new thing, but come on, stop freaking out about breakability and stuff.

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Just to be clear, I wasn't knocking you.

OTOH, the writers of those articles obviously didn't stop to read the patent. Typical internet echo chamber :)

Cheers!

11. jrswizzle thread starter macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Oh I have no doubt they read it - just makes for a more enticing headline :D

To those whining and moaning about the article headline, relax.

12. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

Apple never bought them... they just invest in them for exclusive rights.

13. larrygornick macrumors member

Um...hmm.....