Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoetmb

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2007
Haven't read every post, but if the only reason to take a picture of the physical remote is to compare it to a stored database of remotes, it seems like an unecessary step. Seems to me you could just look up the device model or the remote model and select them from a list.

Furthermore, that would still mean different display screens for each remote. That's not optimal. You really want to create one remote screen that combines the functionality from different remotes. Some of my remotes control more than one device, but each one tends to be missing one or two functions that the original remote had. For example, my Sony TV remote can control my cable box, but it doesn't have a Favorites button that works with the cable box. My receiver remote can turn the Blu-ray player on and off and it can navigate menus, but you can't start and stop the disc from playing.

In addition, like some of the programmable universal remote apps that are available today, you want to be able to program sequences, like "close the shades, turn on the TV, turn to HDMI Input 1, turn on the receiver, switch it to TV."

So if the matching to existing remote is just a first step, that's a great idea, but you still need to be able to add more buttons/functionality to it.

If you want to spend your life programming, there are some nifty software solutions out there that will work on iPhone/iPad, but then you have to pay for the software and pay for the IR box. For free, I can already use my iPhone to control some (but not all) of my devices, but there's a separate app for each device, which is a pain. As someone else pointed out, you can do a lot via the network (although you usually can't turn devices on). Apple needs to pull this all together and do it inexpensively. If I have to spend $200-$300, I'll just continue to use the crappy remotes I already have. When the iPhone 5 is released, I'll probably dedicate my 3G as a remote device, but there's still disadvantages to that, including relatively short battery life as compared to a physical remote, having to switch between apps, not being able to shut devices off unless I also buy an IR box, etc.

ArcaneDevice

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2003
outside the crazy house, NC
As a way to identify a codeset that's pretty innovative.

But you know what, I don't want my phone controlling my television. What happens when you are on a call, or typing messages or looking up something on the Web and you want to control the TV?

My touchscreen remote with 3.5 inch color screen and WiFi lasts well over a week on a single charge. I don't want a remote that runs out of juice before the evening is up because the device has been used for calls and browsing all day.

Not to mention the problem today is the overload of remotes on the table, just copying all of them verbatim to a device isn't going to help there. That's what macros are for.

----------

Not really. If the system can identify the remote in question, it can then present a short list of potential TV's/devices it's talking to. The iPhone could then send commands to an AppleTV to send instructions to the TV over the HDMI cable.

Except it would mean that every single ATV currently in existence wouldn't work, since Apple have never implemented CEC.

pmjoe

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
Stretching a little there?
Its just using a photo of a remote to find it in a database of known remotes. No different than entering a harder to find and identify code as has always been done for universal remote.
While the article text suggests one thing, the figure text suggests something else: "The iPhone first takes a photo of the physical native TV Remote … and then converts the images into a Virtual Copy of the native TV remote that’s then displayed on the iPhone’s display with native functionality."

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Personally, given the choice of an iOS all-in-one remote or a dedicated device like a Harmony One, I'd go for the latter.

Imagine you just want to turn the volume down in the middle of a TV show: with an iPhone you'd need to wake the device with the top button, swipe to unlock it (maybe even have to enter a PIN code), launch the app, wait and press the volume button. With a dedicated remote, you just grab the remote and press the button.

Yea, I'm quite happy with my Harmony remote, and I like having real buttons so I don't have to look at my remote (and away from whatever I'm watching) just to find the volume button. Plus, given my experience with the iTunes-controlling Remote app, they'd need to do quite a bit of optimization work -- the Remote app has an unpleasant amount of latency for switching tracks, and the sliders are not great for quick access.

The security code requirement of the lock screen could be removed if they'd use the geotethering feature of iOS to detect when you're at home. It seems like an obvious use of the feature; I wish they'd add something like that. I don't need security codes or screen locking when I'm at home.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
This is a great illustration of the wacky patent issuing situation in the US (and some other places).

Virtually every feature in Apple's patent has been implemented by other companies before. But Apple goes to the patent office, the patent office bends over, then a few years from now Apple will sue some start up for patent infringement.

The patent system is screwed up and cash rich corporations are taking full advantage of it.

jphalen

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Nothing new

I am a die-hard Apple consumer. However, the universal remote control is neither exciting nor new. I had a Sony PDA in 2002 that did this same thing. Kind of fun to mess with your family when they think they have the "only" remote in the house!

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
A remote meant for constant usage, has to have at least some physical programmable buttons as well.

Like many, I have every remote in the house memorized by touch, and can pick one up in the dark, flip it to the right orientation, and at least surf channels / change volume by feel. I can also stop/rewind/play etc by touch. The last thing you want to do is peer at a screen each time.

No, the last thing I want to do is have to memorise every remote in the house by touch! But… to each their own.

I've recently equipped my flat with a TV, stereo and BR player, all of which can be controlled from my iPhone by various apps via wifi as an alternative to the manufacturer's IR remotes. With 'smart' versions of common home entertainment equipment becoming more and more the norm, I think the IR requirement is going to become less and less an issue over the next couple of years.

Not until wi-fi on the iPhone is instant-on. While I love the idea in principle, my current experience is (1) turn on phone, (2) slide to unlock, (3) type in my passcode if the phone has been off for more than a few minutes, (4) wait for the iPhone to reestablish its wi-fi connection, (5) pause the movie, which by this time is well past when you wanted to pause it!

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
Yes, but in the meantime, it still needs to be supported... I'm not changing my TV, BDP, just for a fricking remote...

If they added a box that converts WIFI to IR in the meantime, fine by me, but I'm not changing my stuff on cue from Apple. If that doesn't happen, then ****'em, they'll get my money much later.

There is already a box that does this. It is called the Harmony Link. I have on e and it works great. Only issue is the lack of customization of the iPad app display.

Haven't read every post, but if the only reason to take a picture of the physical remote is to compare it to a stored database of remotes, it seems like an unecessary step. Seems to me you could just look up the device model or the remote model and select them from a list.

Furthermore, that would still mean different display screens for each remote. That's not optimal. You really want to create one remote screen that combines the functionality from different remotes. Some of my remotes control more than one device, but each one tends to be missing one or two functions that the original remote had. For example, my Sony TV remote can control my cable box, but it doesn't have a Favorites button that works with the cable box. My receiver remote can turn the Blu-ray player on and off and it can navigate menus, but you can't start and stop the disc from playing.

In addition, like some of the programmable universal remote apps that are available today, you want to be able to program sequences, like "close the shades, turn on the TV, turn to HDMI Input 1, turn on the receiver, switch it to TV."

So if the matching to existing remote is just a first step, that's a great idea, but you still need to be able to add more buttons/functionality to it.

If you want to spend your life programming, there are some nifty software solutions out there that will work on iPhone/iPad, but then you have to pay for the software and pay for the IR box. For free, I can already use my iPhone to control some (but not all) of my devices, but there's a separate app for each device, which is a pain. As someone else pointed out, you can do a lot via the network (although you usually can't turn devices on). Apple needs to pull this all together and do it inexpensively. If I have to spend $200-$300, I'll just continue to use the crappy remotes I already have. When the iPhone 5 is released, I'll probably dedicate my 3G as a remote device, but there's still disadvantages to that, including relatively short battery life as compared to a physical remote, having to switch between apps, not being able to shut devices off unless I also buy an IR box, etc.

What you are describing sounds a lot like what Harmony is already doing. You look up the device name and if it is in their database, all buttons are associated to buttons on the harmony remote. In addition, you can mix and match device remote buttons onto a single remote so you can be able to control your DVR and change the volume of the TV, or change the channel AND change the DSP on your AV receiver, or control the lights AND start the popcorn machine all from a single remote.

BTW, most rechargeable remotes on the market don't have real long battery life in between charges. Probably 3-5 days at the most between full charges. And when the battery starts to go bad, 4-5 hours between full charges. I'm dealing with this for the SECOND time with my Harmony One remote. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.