Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple-Pay-250x434.png
Apple updated its Apple Pay participating issuers list today with 35 additional banks, credit unions and financial institutions supporting the contactless payment service in the United States. Apple Pay now has over 375 participating issuers nationwide, and dozens more plan to support the NFC-based mobile payment service in the future.

The newly added Apple Pay participating issuers are reflected below, although it's worth noting that some banks, credit unions and financial institutions listed may have already had support for the contactless payments service and are only now being reflected on Apple's website.

The full list of new Apple Pay participating issuers:
1st Source Bank
Allegacy Federal Credit Union
Amarillo National Bank
American National Bank and Trust
Cambridge Trust Bank
CASE Credit Union
CME FCU
Coast Line Credit Union
Columbia Bank
Community Financial Credit Union
Eagle Federal Credit Union
Earlham Savings Bank
Eastern Bank
Evergreen Credit Union
Fidelity Bank
Federal Savings Bank
First Financial Bank
First National Bank and Trust
First National Bank of Omaha
FNB Community Bank
Heritage Family Federal Credit Union
Meritrust Credit Union
NuMark Credit Union
Pittsford Federal Credit Union
Premier Federal Credit Union
Quail Creek Bank
Reliabank Dakota
Reliant Federal Credit Union
Renesant Bank
SESLOC Federal Credit Union
Stanford FCU
The Summit Federal Credit Union
Umpqua Bank
VisionBank
Y-12 Federal Credit UnionApple Pay is accepted at nearly 750,000 locations in the United States and United Kingdom, and Apple is committed to an international rollout of the mobile payments service in additional countries such as Canada and China in the near future.

Canada could be the next country to embrace the service outside of the U.S. and U.K. in November. The country has already migrated to Chip-and-PIN debit and credit cards and many retailers and businesses have since upgraded to NFC-based terminals to accept contactless payments.

Article Link: Apple Pay Adds 35 New Participating Issuers in United States

Last edited by a moderator:

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
Can't wait for this in Canada. Though I'll need to purchase an iPhone 6s or Apple Watch if I want to use it. Will definitely get one of the two once Apple Pay rolls out.

Reactions: FasmTrout

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
This is fantastic, I can now load up my iphone/applewatch with the 1000 credit cards that I have and ditch my wallet. Of course the only problem is that this is completely useless until merchants agree to turn on their NFC terminals to accept touchless payments.

So far this whole thing has been lopsided towards the issuers. I hope that this corrects itself soon. It seems small what the benefits are to the consumer, but having used it several times in the 2 places that accept it on the planet (okay I may be over dramatizing it a little here but the point stands :)), I have found that the the peace of mind from the superior security of the transaction coupled with the sheer convenience really does make a difference. I am anxiously awaiting for this to role out and if merchants trade their current square fobs for apple pay fobs this will be totally awesome.

Rufuss Sewell

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Austin, TX
2 issues.

1. I use a PayPal debit card. PayPal is not on board yet.

2. Just about everywhere that has an NFC logo and several that even have Apple logos come back with "Apple Pay has been disabled."

It's more of a hassle trying to use it so far.

Reactions: bunnicula

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
Still waiting for Discover this fall. More retailers would be nice too. It's always great to be able to walk into a store without my wallet and make a purchase.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Apple Pay is accepted at nearly 750,000 locations in the United States and United Kingdom

Just to break this down, that works out to be 749,500 locations in the UK and 500 in the US. In reality 498 of the US locations have actually turned off their terminals so really only two places accept it in the US -- WholeFoods and McDonalds. The irony is perfect.

:);):cool::p:D:rolleyes:o_O

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
Can't wait for this in Canada. Though I'll need to purchase an iPhone 6s or Apple Watch if I want to use it. Will definitely get one of the two once Apple Pay rolls out.
Apple Pay made our vacation in Canada much easier. My main bank doesn't have chip and PIN yet, and we were stuck in the bank telling us to use a PIN transaction at a retailer, and the retailer not being able to use the card as a debit card vicious circle.

I had put a credit card on Apple Pay, and tried that, and it worked like a charm, wherever we went. Had a great vacation, enjoyed Canada and Alaska, and will happily go back there again.

So, thank you to Apple and the people of Canada for making the trip so nice!

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Just to break this down, that works out to be 749,500 locations in the UK and 500 in the US. In reality 498 of the US locations have actually turned off their terminals so really only two places accept it in the US -- WholeFoods and McDonalds. The irony is perfect.

:);):cool::p:D:rolleyes:o_O
Notwithstanding your humor, I've used it multiple places besides McD and WF, including gas stations, Walgreens, Pandora Jewelry, and anywhere that has one of the logo, I try it, and so far, I'm at 100% in the Seattle area.

contactless-lead-1355413251.jpg

lionsy

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2010
It's a shame the uptake in the USA has been so piss poor, I guess it's because they don't seem all that interested in chip & pin, I can't remember the last time I didn't see a contact less machine in the UK either, but we switched over to chip and pin so long ago now it's a distant memory.

I'm glad I can use my watch in the UK now, I've been using my bank card using contactless for a while but I'm limited to the amount I can spend using it for security reasons, so Apple Pay is a welcome addition!

shiseido

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2010
I live in LA and Apple Pay works great! Use it at the grocery store, Stater Bros. Have used it at Subway food a few times. Basically it works flawlessly. However there is competition. When I had Google Wallet on my phone it would also activate as well. So I had to uninstall wallet. However with all this said, mom and pop stores around here want cash or you pay a transaction fee. My guess is visa / mc / Apple Pay make money off small fees.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010

Not holding my breath. It always takes forever for things to get up here, even if the infrastructure may be better than it is in the States for this. It's asinine that there's this much red tape to get something like this to go.

hofer

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2006
Who cares if they sign up issuers. What we need are more retailers that accept the card. None of the grocery stores,gas stations or restaurants that I use regularly accept Apple Pay. Trader Joe here now accept it, but the store here in Houston requires me to both push an "accept" button and sign on the screen - something that should be unnecessary.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Why does it take so long for financial institutions to get on board? My credit union claims to be working toward this and has no idea why it is taking so long to get approved.

Reactions: jayducharme

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Why does it take so long for financial institutions to get on board? My credit union claims to be working toward this and has no idea why it is taking so long to get approved.
Same here. When Apple Pay was announced, I asked my local bank if they were going to offer it. I was initially told a flat "no". I asked them again as adoption spread and their response was, "We're thinking about it". But AFAIK, they haven't even applied. So far, none of my local (as opposed to multinational) banks offer it. When I can link Apple Pay with my debit card instead of my credit card, I'm all in.

PCtoMAC1

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2012
I called my bank after adding my card and getting a number to verify. They then tell me that they are still BETA testing for another two weeks. This bank is stuck in the old days.

Denmac1

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Lost in Space
Still no Bank of the West.

I still have yet to use Apple Pay.
Been with BoW for many years. Can't understand why it's taking them so long. Our local credit union, Safe, went on board a few months ago.

My Trader's Joe store has converted and it's fun to see the expression on the cashier's face when I use my watch.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
A few things on the posts regarding USA usage:

1. More issuers means more demand for the use of contactless systems. Also, the tipping point is coming this summer. In October, 2015, the risk is on the retailer for fraud if they do not take chip and PIN cards (like a lot of the world has).
http://money.usnews.com/money/perso...g-next-fall-more-chip-and-pin-cards-in-the-us

2. Usage for retailers in the USA... Look for this as a good probability that ApplePay will work:
contactless-lead-1355413251.jpg

Look for this as a guarantee that Apple Pay will work:
1280px-Apple_Pay_logo.svg.png

Reactions: Keane16
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.