Apple Pay and touch id failure - what happens?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SueyMac, Oct 17, 2014.

1. SueyMac macrumors newbie

SueyMac

Hi,

What if you are using Apple Pay and your touch id fails? Do you attempt it again or give up and fish for your wallet and find your credit card? If so, doesn't this defeat the purpose of Apple Pay making transactions easier/faster?

My touch id doesn't work 100% of the time, but I don't think it fails often enough to make a genius appointment. But it does fail sometimes.

Any thoughts?

thanks!

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I've had Touch ID fail once on my iPhone 6, so I don't think it will be an issue.

If your fails often, get it replaced. If not, I doubt it will have much affect on you using Apple Pay. I'd take the convenience of it working 9/10 times and having to deal with the 1/10 times it doesn't over not having it at all.

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

Why wouldn't you try it again?

The purpose of Apple Pay IMHO is more about enhancing transaction security than it is about making it "easier".

If you're having frequent enough issues with TouchID I'd recommend addressing that before worrying about how it'd affect Apple Pay. Start by re-enrolling your fingerprints.

I've been using TouchID since day one on my 5S. Sometimes it does fail the first read, but it's usually because I've screwed up somehow. On those few occasions the second read "takes"

4. tg81 macrumors member

I've been wondering about this as well. Maybe it'll be like when it fails any other time and revert to the passcode. Although that would reduce the security of the system so maybe it will just be a matter of reaching for the credit card.

5. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

It takes all of half of a second to try Touch ID again. Even with the re-attempting to use Touch ID it's still faster than reaching for the wallet, especially since the phone's already out.

6. aristobrat macrumors G5

To me, that's almost like saying "What if you swipe your credit card an the machine doesn't read it? Do you attempt it again or give up and fish for your wallet and pull out some cash?"

I'd guess that 99% of folks are going to try again (in both situations). :)

7. noobinator macrumors 601

I would immediately drop all the stuff I was going to buy on the floor and walk out crying.

8. deviant macrumors 65816

Congrats, you won the " Daily most stupid thread" award.

9. tribestros macrumors member

By SueyMac did you mean Suey Park? Because this post was about as stupid as Suey Park.

10. SueyMac thread starter macrumors newbie

SueyMac

11. 617aircav Suspended

Same this if your credit card fails. Try again or pay with something else. Easy.

12. deeddawg macrumors 604

Par for the course on any internet forum.

Though you do have to admit the "do you try it again" question either wasn't thought through very well or wasn't exactly what you meant to ask. If you question was really "what if it won't work no matter how many times you try" that wasn't conveyed clearly.

13. terraphantm macrumors 68040

According to the iOS security guide, the passcode is an option

https://www.apple.com/privacy/docs/iOS_Security_Guide_Oct_2014.pdf

14. tg81 macrumors member

That's good to know. Being able to use the passcode makes it pretty much infallible. My touch ID works 99.9% of the time, but the .1% failure time will of course happen when there's an impatient crowd of mostly android users behind me, so I'll be much happier knowing that as a fallback measure I can just swipe to the right and put in the passcode.
    (I'll use noobinator's method as a final resort)

lol...