Apple Pay and Touch ID

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by sdilley14, Dec 31, 2014.

1. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

I set up Touch ID on my new IP6. I also added 5-6 credit cards to Apple Pay. I get tired of constantly using Touch ID/passcode to unlock the phone so I like to turn it off at times. I just turned Touch ID back on and went into the Apple Pay settings. All of my cards have been removed. Is that normal? Once your turn off Touch ID/passcode all of your Apple Pay cards get removed? I just want to be sure I'm understanding this correctly before spending time entering the card info back in, just to have it deleted out after I turn off Touch ID again.

2. caesarp macrumors 6502a

Yes. It's for security.

3. sdilley14 thread starter macrumors 65816

I figured as much, but just wanted to be sure. I'm surprised they couldn't grab that info and securely store it in the cloud, remove it from the phone when Touch ID is disabled, then push it back down from the cloud once Touch ID is re-enabled. Oh well, I can appreciate the extra secruity steps I suppose.

4. newellj macrumors 601

Agree with your last sentence. "Securely" and "cloud" don't really seem to work well together. ;) Signing out of iCloud will also remove the cards, by the way. (Found that out trying to fix the instant hotspot function.)

5. sdilley14 thread starter macrumors 65816

Agreed...I was kind of thinking that while I was typing it. Although usernames and passwords are stored on a keychain in the cloud, so I thought CC info might be treated the same. Though usernames and passwords are (arguably) less critical than credit card info.

Ahhh, thanks for the heads up!

6. afsnyder macrumors 65816

What do you mean you get tired of Touch ID? I'm not following.

7. sdilley14 thread starter macrumors 65816

I would rather just click the home button and get into my phone immediately rather than using the touch ID or a passcode. I know it only takes a second, but doing it 50-100 times a day can get annoying. I know I'm leaving my data vulnerable by not having Touch ID or passcode enabled at all times, but I'm fine taking that risk. And when I go out in public I enable those options.

----------

Thanks for the link!

8. afsnyder macrumors 65816

What? How are you bypassing the lock screen without swiping to unlock? Currently Touch ID is the fasting way to get to the home screen...

9. sdilley14 thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm not bypassing the swipe to unlock. I guess to me it feels like pressing and swiping quick is faster than using Touch ID. You're right though, it probably isn't actually faster, I'm just used to doing it a certain way after thousands of reputations, so changing how I'm doing it feels more difficult than it really is.

10. Paco II macrumors 65816

Funny to read this thread because often I just want to read a lock screen alert and Touch ID is so sensitive it will unlock my phone instead

11. afsnyder macrumors 65816

To me, it seems more complicated to swipe to unlock. But maybe you'll decide to keep Touch ID on in order to keep your cards in Apply Pay?

12. newellj macrumors 601

Honestly, I don't think it could possibly be faster - I think it's what you're used to. I got used to TouchID because one of my phones is used for work and we're required to either use an 8-digit passcode or the fingerprint reader. I've gotten so used to that that I have my personal phone set up that way, too. Press/short hold and the home screen is up. Feels very simple, fast and secure. :)

13. sdilley14 thread starter macrumors 65816

Agreed. I'm sure I'll adapt, just takes time. :)

----------

That is my intention. :)

14. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Do what I do. press the home button and then just leave your finger there. By the time the screen turns on it's already unlocked.