Apple Pay and Touch ID

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by MBP13, Jan 29, 2015.

1. MBP13 macrumors 6502

MBP13

Does anyone have trouble with Apple Pay recognizing your fingerprint? I can use my finger print to unlock my phone all day long, but as soon as I get to a card reader that accepts Apple Pay, my phone no longer wants to read my thumbprint, and I'm unable to use Apple Pay. I've had to start carrying my cards with me knowing that I'll probably have to use them since I've started experiencing issues with Touch ID using Apple Pay.

Any advice?

2. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

My guess is that you hold your phone in a different position when unlocking it and when trying to use apple pay and you're putting a different part of your finger on the sensor when using apple pay.

I'd suggest relearning your finger and trying to hold your phone both as you do for unlocking as well as for apple pay as it samples your fingerprint.

3. perkedel macrumors 6502a

perkedel

I had a couple retry. The first time was because I was wearing gloves/inside jacket because it's cold out, I suppose my fingers got warm and had some moisture. Wiped it off, retried and it work.
    The other time is when the POS terminal was kind of out of reach, I had to stretch my arm/phone, so I guess it didn't register too well with the TouchID ring. The point is, after retry and readjust position, and it always work.

4. MBP13 thread starter macrumors 6502

MBP13

I'm holding my phone the same exact way I always hold it while trying to unlock my phone. Perhaps I should try to record my trying to pay with Apple Pay next time I try it to show that I can successfully unlock my phone quite often, yet when it comes to paying for stuff, Apple Pay doesn't want to recognize my thumbprint.

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Add a new print for say your index finger and remove the existing one.
    See if that gets it working.