Apple Pay anywhere with NFC?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by fenderbass146, Oct 20, 2014.

1. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

I have yet to get a straight answer. Will Apple Pay work anywhere that has nfc. My google wallet worked with nfc at the Meijer grocery store in my area. Will my iphone now?

2. zamudiovsky macrumors regular

Yes, it will work anywhere where NFC payment is accepted.

Go to: http://www.apple.com/apple-pay/ and where it says "Accepted at 220,000 stores. And counting." you can see more information...

3. fenderbass146 thread starter macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

Great thanks.

4. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Pretty much. Our vending machine here at work has the Visa PayWave logo, and ApplePay worked just fine on it. Was pretty cool

5. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

Not all NFC terminals will work. 7-11 DOES NOT work :(

6. orangecrushv macrumors regular

orangecrushv

They turned off their NFC altogether, didn't they?

7. mantan macrumors 68000

No it won't. NFC terminals that are at stores that are utlilizing the MCX standard (Walmart, 7-11, Best Buy, Target) will not support Apple Pay.

This is the VHS-Betamax (or Blue Ray-HD DVD for younger people) format battle.

At some point MCX will probably die out (due to wanting to tie directly to your bank account and lack of privacy/anonymity that Apple Pay offers) - but until it does, there will be terminals that have NFC technology that will NOT accept Apple Pay.

8. oddnendz macrumors 6502

oddnendz

download the Mastercard Nearby app, tap on Contactless. As far as we can tell, if a business is on that list .... you can use Apple Pay.

9. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

the one around the corner from my house still has NFC on the credit card termanials. iPhone 6 behaved as if the payment was accepted, but the register declined. Bummer, shop there all the time.

Walgreens worked, but I still had to input my debit pin# and decline cash back.

So not as quick as Apple made it seem.

10. bozzykid macrumors 68020

MCX is not NFC. Any terminal that has nfc enabled will work. Best Buy disabled NFC on their readers a long time ago.

11. sziehr macrumors 6502a

so best buys statement they do not want to take apple pay is strictly political. They have the hardware in place all they have to do is flip a switch with an update. This seems kinds silly to have paid for the gear and not use it.

12. Inspector14 macrumors newbie

It was Great, i used apple pay at 2 vending machines today.. no more digging for credit card, no more fighting with the card reader ( the ones at my work, barely read cards anymore..)

13. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Yes. Every Best Buy in the US has payment terminals with NFC but NFC is disabled so they can push this new payment method.

14. eww7633 macrumors regular

Went to Walgreens, didn't have to do any of that. Just got near the terminal, put my thumb on Touch ID, done deal. The cashier probably selected debit, not credit.

15. ZeRoLiMiT macrumors 6502a

ZeRoLiMiT

worked for me @ StaterBrothers and they are not on :apple:Pay

16. fenderbass146 thread starter macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

Okay, thats fine, Google wallet did not work at best buy for me either so no change.

----------

I used to work at Best Buy and have tried it there with Google Wallet. Didn't work either. For a Tech retail store they are unbelievably behind in the times on there technology. Registeres based on windows 95 that are trying to run 8, no nfc that is actually useful, wireless B network.

17. Sean7512 macrumors 6502a

The local Home Depot registers have the NFC logo, but it does NOT work there. Everything seems to work fine from the phone's point of view, but the cashier kept saying it wasn't working.

Finally, I switched to the actual card and it worked. What a let down!

18. tdar macrumors 6502a

They turned it off because few people could use it and turning it off saves $$$ on support costs. Yeah they turned it off to save money. Now they have dilutions of grander that they and Wal-Mart can reverse almost 50 years of payment system history and get every one to start over. Yeah that will work.;)

19. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

CVS was quick and easy. Never promoted a pin so I guess if I want cash back I will then and only then swipe my card.

20. FourOhFour macrumors member

It might have worked if they actually released something instead of making useless noises about it.

21. mantan macrumors 68000

Home Depot is supporting the MCX format and CurrentC app push. So their NFC terminals will not support Apple Pay

Hopefully the demand is strong enough for them, Target (stores), Best Buy etc to support Apple Pay sooner than later.

22. tdar macrumors 6502a

The Target post hack replacement system terminals have NFC from the factory but it is not yet enabled. I'm sure given their past that is not yet a priority. As they support Apple Pay in app, I bet in store is coming, most likely after the holidays,

23. terraphantm macrumors 68040

They might not support it since Target is also a part of MCX. I'm guessing they all have some agreement to turn off NFC in stores.

I don't see CurrentC being adopted though, so I imagine it's a matter of time until these guys give up and just support NFC payments.

24. mantan macrumors 68000

You are correct in that MCX is not NFC. I should have been more clear.

But I do think it's one of those 'format wars' between which type of alternate payment form is going to take off as maintstream, Apple Pay or MCX's CurrentC.

The whole idea of an alternate payment system is based on simplicity and security. If customers are trying to figure out which app to use at which store, it defeats the purpose and hurts the whole idea of alternate payments.

I think Apple Pay makes a stronger case on the simplicity and security front. CurrentC is going to push for loyalty programs and store specific rewards...which of course comes with the added goal of tracking customer data.

25. tdar macrumors 6502a

CVS is MCX but many users reported that they used their Apple Pay there yesterday.
    I would agree that the MCX/CurentC thing is doomed

----------

That and they brag that they store your payment info in the cloud for more security not on your device. Yeah- people will buy that! :D