Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 29, 2009
How exactly will Apple Pay work with an Apple Watch? There is no touchid on the Apple watch? So does this mean to pay I will have to have my iPhone in my hand to confirm the payment while holding my wrist to the NFC terminal? This sounds awkward..

theBigD23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
How exactly will Apple Pay work with an Apple Watch? There is no touchid on the Apple watch? So does this mean to pay I will have to have my iPhone in my hand to confirm the payment while holding my wrist to the NFC terminal? This sounds awkward..

From what I understand, first, you enter a 4 digit code when you put on your watch. You then just put the Watch close to the terminal and it'll pay. Once you take your watch off, Apple Watch knows and will deactivate that feature until you put it back on and type in a 4 digit code.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
From what I understand, first, you enter a 4 digit code when you put on your watch. You then just put the Watch close to the terminal and it'll pay. Once you take your watch off, Apple Watch knows and will deactivate that feature until you put it back on and type in a 4 digit code.

Just to add. The PIN method may be only if you don't have your iPhone when you put the aWatch on. With the iPhone's aWatch app you can probably activate Apple pay with the iPhone's finger print scanner (provided you are not using an iPhone 5). Then as long as you keep the aWatch on you are good to go.

Also if you need to activate by PIN I think Apple my go with at least a 5 digit code.

A slight addition. According to Apple you need to press the Contact's button on the aWatch before NFC scanning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.