Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

normanfox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
after many attempts to use Apple Pay at Walmart without success, I went to a Starbucks today and asked to pay by iphone. again the cashier had no idea what it is and I had to give the cashier my credit card to swipe.

I thought Starbucks is in the Apple official support list?

dagdagdag234

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2011
No, they are in the later this year list. Strangely hey are supported in Passport though. Or through their own iPhone app.

I find all the variations of ways to pay a little murky.

Frankly, I still use a credit card at Starbucks at this point.

Shan S.

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2012
apple pay at Starbucks

Well I know Walmart, CVS, Best Buy, and Riteaid among others are starting to block NFC payments so both Apple Pay and most likely Google Wallet will not work. look it up in the news. A bunch of stores are coming up with their own technology called CurrentC....

Starbucks does not have NFC registers either so it will not work as NFC payments. So no wireless payment unless you use their app ... Download the app and it will get scanned by their readers.

However Starbucks will allow users to add funds to their app using Apple Pay. The Apple Pay wallet is more than just wireless payments.

It is supposed to be implemented by end of the year.

Also I would not use the term Apple Pay at the stores.. 99% of the people will have no idea what that is as it is just the wallet technology. Registers that allow the NFC chip to pay wirelessly will have this image.

1858c2371f678bd470070512c01fe8af.jpg

Also a link talking about CurrentC. The other tech is here
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1809706/

Last edited:

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Walmart is a known non-supporter.

Did you see the NFC symbol at Starbucks? Otherwise, they also accept payment through Passbook and their app.

----------

No, they are in the later this year list. Strangely hey are supported in Passport though. Or through their own iPhone app.

I find all the variations of ways to pay a little murky.

Frankly, I still use a credit card at Starbucks at this point.

Personally I find using Passbook the easiest way to pay at Starbucks - just scan and go. And every 12 purchases you get a free drink :D

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
hey are supported in Passport though. Or through their own iPhone app.

Starbucks app is Passbook enabled to allow you to pay (optical scan) for purchases against your Starbucks card which is nothing more than store credit. Easily refilled from the app via Paypal or credit card. If you're a SB regular it works pretty well since you can just buy $10 or $20 worth of credit at a time and it'll last a while. Or it does for me as I don't get the fancy dancy stuff, I'm usually out of there for under $2 a trip (black coffee, bring my own cup)

Last edited:

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Later you'll be able to reload your starbucks card using Apple Pay. It's the way to go if you go there frequently enough to earn a free drink several times a year.

ttmrn

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2014
tx
i wish the nfc, would dig out my starbucks card automatically instead, and let me pay using my starbucks card thru my finger print...

than having to show my barcode.

Fant

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
Why would you need this when the app can auto reload against your cc? I guess if you don't want to give Starbucks your cc but then you could auto reload thru PayPal.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Well I know Walmart, CVS, Best Buy, and Riteaid among others are starting to block NFC payments so both Apple Pay and most likely Google Wallet will not work. look it up in the news. A bunch of stores are coming up with their own technology called CurrentC....

Starbucks does not have NFC registers either so it will not work as NFC payments. So no wireless payment unless you use their app ... Download the app and it will get scanned by their readers.

However Starbucks will allow users to add funds to their app using Apple Pay. The Apple Pay wallet is more than just wireless payments.

It is supposed to be implemented by end of the year.

Also I would not use the term Apple Pay at the stores.. 99% of the people will have no idea what that is as it is just the wallet technology. Registers that allow the NFC chip to pay wirelessly will have this image.

Also a link talking about CurrentC. The other tech is here
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1809706/
Not all, my local grocery store takes NFC, and all it shows are circles on the screen.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    601 KB · Views: 146

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Starbucks wants you to use their app to pay for things so they can track your purchases and purchase location. Apple Pay does not allow any data about the buyer to be captured. This is the reason many retailers wont support Apple Pay (and the reason I am mostly interested in using it).

JoeTomasone

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2014
Why would you need this when the app can auto reload against your cc? I guess if you don't want to give Starbucks your cc but then you could auto reload thru PayPal.

Then it's PayPal who has the CC or bank account data. You're just moving the data breach target around, essentially. If Starbucks gets hacked, and they have your CC, then you have an issue. If you are using PayPal and THEY get hacked, ditto. It's a gamble either way, just as it has become every time you swipe your card (or use chip/pin for you Euro-types.. LOL)

Apple Pay for reloads will be much more secure.

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
Starbucks wants you to use their app to pay for things so they can track your purchases and purchase location. Apple Pay does not allow any data about the buyer to be captured. This is the reason many retailers wont support Apple Pay (and the reason I am mostly interested in using it).

Starbucks gives me a LOT in exchange for using my Gold Card though. It's mutually beneficial, so I use it. I link it to a credit card with auto-reload, and use the passbook card.

I don't mind loyalty cards, being tracked, when I benefit from the arrangement. But, forcing me to accept 100% of the liability (which is what CurrentC does), and only link to my BANK ACCONT, is beyond what I'd ever be willing to consider acceptable.

Starbucks - free unlimited refills, free heavy cream/pumps, and free food/drinks every so often outweighs the small amount of tracking they do. Plus, since it's still linked to my credit card, I get points/cash back, etc..

CurrentC/MCX - 5¢ discounts on toothpaste from CVS in exchange for 100% liability for any/all transactions, tracking cradle to grave between ALL the retailers in the system (including my health records! [read the ToS.. You'll be surprised!), and ONLY using my checking account (i.e. no points, cash back, etc.) is NOT worth it.

Bottom line: CVS, Best Buy, Walmart should stop being greedy bastards and let me pay the way I want.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Why would you need this when the app can auto reload against your cc? I guess if you don't want to give Starbucks your cc
Exactly.
but then you could auto reload thru PayPal.
Personally, I trust Paypal far less than Starbucks. They also now require your bank account information for "verification". I cancelled my account last year since there was a small balance left and cancelling was the only way to get my money back without giving in to their extortion.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Personally, I trust Paypal far less than Starbucks. They also now require your bank account information for "verification". I cancelled my account last year since there was a small balance left and cancelling was the only way to get my money back without giving in to their extortion.

I keep getting emails from Paypal asking me to verify with my bank account information, but it'll still work without the verification. I did have to close a previous Paypal account when I reached the $10,000 lifetime spending limit, at which point you have no choice but to verify if you want to continue using it, and opened a new one though.

Last edited:

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Then it's PayPal who has the CC or bank account data. You're just moving the data breach target around, essentially.

True, although two nuances are that (a) you're centralizing who actually has the CC or bank account info by using paypal to refill SBX or other store credit balances (unsure of other vendors who do this though) or (b) you have the option of buying SBX gift cards via various channels including retail for cash and then adding those cards to your SBX app and transferring the balance to your primary gold card within the app. The latter is more hassle of course, but does exist as an option if you don't use paypal and/or want to keep cc/bank data private.

Apple Pay for reloads will be much more secure.

Yes, and more convenient than the alternate method above.

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
I've been paying with passbook at Starbucks for awhile now, since it was one of the few places I go that passbook actually works at.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
(b) you have the option of buying SBX gift cards via various channels including retail for cash and then adding those cards to your SBX app and transferring the balance to your primary gold card within the app. The latter is more hassle of course, but does exist as an option if you don't use paypal and/or want to keep cc/bank data private.
Or you know, just reload your primary gold card with cash at a Starbucks location since presumably, you do go there to buy coffee and stuff. That saves you the step of transferring the balance. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.