Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RodDavies

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2014
Not sure IF this is the correct forum, so if not, apologies.

What is the issue with APPLE PAY in Australia? It seems to have gone really quiet. Are any banks in discussion with Apple? Will we ever see it, or rather, will we SOON see it? Like in 2015?

Any one have any idea?

Thanks.

moxxham

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2015
Sydney, Australia
I wish we had it here! My card got compromised from buying online only a few days ago. With Apple Pay that wouldn't happen due to the dynamic codes and what not. And its not like there are a huge number of banks here either compared to the US.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I wish we had it here! My card got compromised from buying online only a few days ago. With Apple Pay that wouldn't happen due to the dynamic codes and what not. And its not like there are a huge number of banks here either compared to the US.
ApplePay/Dynamic codes don't matter, if you are giving away your PAN into a web form.

AU is not Apple's home country. It takes time for them to rub shoulders, and get infrastructure setup. The token translation system requires infrastructure and deep cooperation.

moxxham

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2015
Sydney, Australia
ApplePay/Dynamic codes don't matter, if you are giving away your PAN into a web form.

AU is not Apple's home country. It takes time for them to rub shoulders, and get infrastructure setup. The token translation system requires infrastructure and deep cooperation.

I thought that was the point of dynamic codes though? To help protect against fraud? Maybe I haven't looked into this properly haha. My mistake :)

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I thought that was the point of dynamic codes though? To help protect against fraud? Maybe I haven't looked into this properly haha. My mistake :)

No, you looked correctly on the codes. The point is to make it more secure but what he was saying is that it takes a long time for banks to setup the back end to make it all work. They started with the US I'm assuming because it was easier to start at "home" and work out from there. I'm sure if it was easy Apple would have it everywhere for everyone.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Dynamic codes only work when you use ApplePay NFC checkout terminal, or ApplePay API in an app.

If you plug in your static PAN into an webpage form... there is no dynamic code.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
With Canada it seems like the banks are really reluctant to give up control, which is why they're pushing their own mobile NFC apps instead. Hopefully that's not the case in Australia.

moxxham

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Dynamic codes only work when you use ApplePay NFC checkout terminal, or ApplePay API in an app.

If you plug in your static PAN into an webpage form... there is no dynamic code.

Thats what I meant, haha I would be using Apple Pay online through apps to purchase, therefore it would be using a dynamic code

gid204

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2015
Does anyone have a debit/credit card with HSBC? HSBC in the UK now supports Apple Pay so I'm hoping that buy changing the region on my iPhone I can simply use my Australian HSBC card...which I've just ordered.

Manatlt

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2013
London, UK
Does anyone have a debit/credit card with HSBC? HSBC in the UK now supports Apple Pay so I'm hoping that buy changing the region on my iPhone I can simply use my Australian HSBC card...which I've just ordered.
If your account is from HSBC Australia, 100% it won't work. You need to have registered a bank account from HSBC UK for it to work, meaning you going to the UK, used a UK address to sign up for a current account.

Same goes for Barclays in the UK. Just because Barclaycard US is supported, doesn't mean Barclaycard UK is too.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011

I don't want them to rub shoulders with us...

We are happy with plastic.

A few banks here are saying they'll support Apple Pay, but i don't believe they all will.

Look at the U.S for proof of every since shop supporting it.

if they support it or not.. Then u'll have a good feeling as to what we're in for.. Till Apple pay is *replaces* credit cards, i will say it's gonna only be a penny in the basket for those merchants that do offer it..

And even the ones that do, require some ID or something else. which defeats the purpose of using Apple pay....... Sorry. This ship has already sunk.

Last edited:

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.

A few banks here are saying they'll support Apple Pay, but i don't believe they all will.

if they support it or not.. Then u'll have a good feeling as to what we're in for.. Till Apple pay is *replaces* credit cards, i will say it's gonna only be a penny in the basket for those merchants that do offer it..

And even the ones that do, require some ID or something else. which defeats the purpose of using Apple pay....... Sorry. This ship has already sunk.

I can't speak for Australia but that certainly is not the case here in the UK. Pretty much all the major banking institutions with the main exception being Barclays are supporting Apple Pay.

As for needing ID or something else when using Apple Pay that certainly is not true. I've used Apple Pay a countless number of times and never had to show anything else. I've even made large purchases including hardware and accessories in places where there is no limit without any such issues. Granted there have been a few occasions when it hasn't worked on my watch but on my phone it has worked 100% of the time. Not to mention more and more retailers here in the UK are supporting and accepting Apple Pay as a method of payment.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO

I was in Sydney several months ago before it even launched in the Australia and used ApplePay to pay more often than not with no hassle, and it was a lot faster than chip, especially since my US credit card is chip and sign. Aussie banks might be dragging their feet, but merchants seem more than ready.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.