iPhone Apple Pay card addition/non-raised number problem

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by ron7624, Feb 8, 2015.

1. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

My wife has a credit card that she uses often. She had it set up in Apple Pay and there have been no problems. But, she recently changed the card type from one kind of rewards card to a different kind of rewards card.
    The account number on the face of the card stayed the same and they sent her a new card. The new card did not have raised numbers.
    OK, she dunked her phone yesterday and we got a replacement today and in setting up her new phone she proceeded to add her card in Apple Pay.
    We tried to add it using the camera but the phone did not recognize it as a credit card, so just for grins, she took out the old card (same number) and tried that and it read the card in a split second.
    Lots of new cards are coming out without the raised numbers now because the old fashioned push pull credit card machines no longer exist.
    This is simply a heads up for all, that the newer issued credit cards may no longer be read by the camera scanner.
    Bummer.

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Precisely why there is the option to add the card manually.

3. newellj macrumors 601

Must depend on how much contrast there is? The camera can scan lots of 2D numbers and codes (for example, Apple Store redemption codes), but those are usually black and white.

4. ron7624 thread starter Contributor

ron7624

Which we did.
    Quite possibly the lack of contrast on the card between the numbers and the background had a lot to do with it. It is so sure fire to use the scanner for input wih no room for human error.
    Not a big deal, just an obepservation. He hastle of setting up a new phone from scratch after the wife killed her original iPhone sparked the grumbly post.

5. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

I was actually very surprised that the phone picked up my CC numbers from my raised Amex and chase cards in extremely low night at all. However, it wouldn't pick up the flat numbers of my TD card, which I assumed it wouldn't. Took two extra seconds to add it manually.