Apple Pay Coming Soon to Switzerland's Largest Bank UBS

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Switzerland's largest bank UBS today announced that Apple Pay is coming soon, as noted by Macprime. The bank says that the rollout should be completed within the coming weeks.

A teaser tweet indicates that UBS will offer Apple Pay for its Visa credit cards at a minimum.

Apple Pay first launched in Switzerland in July 2016 with support for MasterCard and Visa cards issued by Bonus Card, Cornèr Bank, and Swiss Bankers.

To add a card to Apple Pay, open the Wallet app and tap the plus symbol in the top-right corner.

Article Link: Apple Pay Coming Soon to Switzerland's Largest Bank UBS

Last edited:

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
Sorry I meant Apple Card coming to UK or is it only going to stay in America?
Wrong thread then! As for the Card, it’s US only for the foreseeable as it’s partnered with a US-based bank in Goldman Sachs.
- - Post merged: - -

Back on topic, I’m genuinely surprised that a bank like UBS is years late to the party. Been a while since I worked in Switzerland though, but I’d bet it’s down to the infamous red tape of bureaucracy.

Reactions: Sasparilla

rmoliv

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2017
If I were rich I’d open an international bank account in Switzerland (at UBS or Credit Suisse).

one more

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I hope not for VISA only. What about just debit cards? I don't live on credit…
And TWINT is useless.
The UBS debit cards (V-Pay or Maestro) do not have standard card numbers starting with a 4 or 5, respectively. Instead, they are linked directly to your bank account. Therefore, you cannot use them to pay online. V-Pay can do contactless, Maestro cannot. So here are UBS debit cards for you. You can get a credit card with a standard number for an extra CHF 20 per year, though.

Reactions: javen

arnoz

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
Switzerland
The UBS debit cards (V-Pay or Maestro) do not have standard card numbers starting with a 4 or 5, respectively. Instead, they are linked directly to your bank account. Therefore, you cannot use them to pay online. V-Pay can do contactless, Maestro cannot. So here are UBS debit cards for you. You can get a credit card with a standard number for an extra CHF 20 per year, though.
Ah, finally some clear and precise information, thanks.
In that case, I'll keep the Miles & More credit card (Apple Pay compatible) and continue to pay contactless with UBS V Pay. It's just such a great and easy experience to pay for a bread or drink with the Watch or iPhone, leaving my wallet at home...

EDIT: and the idea of using my credit card to pay for bread or a Coke is bothering me.

one more

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I’m genuinely surprised that a bank like UBS is years late to the party. Been a while since I worked in Switzerland though, but I’d bet it’s down to the infamous red tape of bureaucracy.
It was very similar in France, with their Société générale bank being one of the latest to accept Apple Pay. The bigger the banking group, the longer they wrestle with Apple for more profitable conditions, I guess.

arnoz

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
Switzerland
It was very similar in France, with their Société générale bank being one of the latest to accept Apple Pay. The bigger the banking group, the longer they wrestle with Apple for more profitable conditions, I guess.
That, and here (Switzerland) UBS launched a competitive service (national only, called TWINT) that they've really tried hard to push for.

one more

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Ah, finally some clear and precise information, thanks.
In that case, I'll keep the Miles & More credit card (Apple Pay compatible) and continue to pay contactless with UBS V Pay. It's just such a great and easy experience to pay for a bread or drink with the Watch or iPhone, leaving my wallet at home...

EDIT: and the idea of using my credit card to pay for bread or a Coke is bothering me.
You could also check out Revolut or TransferWise then, both allowing you to top-up your accounts and cards (both use proper Mastercards with decent card numbers) in pretty much any currency. Both of them work with Apple Pay too. 🖐

arnoz

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
Switzerland
You could also check out Revolut or TransferWise then, both allowing you to top-up your accounts and cards (both use proper Mastercards with decent card numbers) in pretty much any currency. Both of them work with Apple Pay too. 🖐
Thanks. Never took the plunge of using Revolut, and I love Trasnferwise for… transfers but didn't know their offered cards, too now!

one more

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
That, and here (Switzerland) UBS launched a competitive service (national only, called TWINT) that they've really tried hard to push for.
The problem with TWINT is that you cannot link it to a business UBS account, which kind of makes it useless for many people.
- - Post merged: - -

Thanks. Never took the plunge of using Revolut, and I love Trasnferwise for… transfers but didn't know their offered cards, too now!
Yep, they call it a multi-currency account, as below:

50BBB7FD-C86C-42B6-8234-5D1B3A030CEB.jpeg

Reactions: arnoz

ksec

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
Sorry I meant Apple Card coming to UK or is it only going to stay in America?
Just out of a matter of interest, If the UK Apple Card has none of the benefits of US Apple Card, such as Cash Back, Lower Interest Rate. May be you only get a small amount of cash back from Apple purchase ( App Store and Apple Store ).

Would you still want one and use it?

one more

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Just out of a matter of interest, If the UK Apple Card has none of the benefits of US Apple Card, such as Cash Back, Lower Interest Rate. May be you only get a small amount of cash back from Apple purchase ( App Store and Apple Store ).

Would you still want one and use it?
The way I see it, Apple Card just allows one of the banks in any given country to tap into a tech-savvy and somewhat enthusiastic pool of people. The role of Apple here is that of a middleman between you and a bank, like a friendly face for the same old “give me your money” story.

The UK has had a very healthy profit-driven banking and one of the big ones could jump on Apple’s card offer, I guess, but with the latest two big downturns affecting the UK right now (Brexit and Covid-19), the UK banking industry, Apple, or both, may not be too eager to launch it now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.