Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that Apple Pay will be coming to Safari on the newly-unveiled macOS Sierra platform. When shopping online on participating websites, users will be able to click a "Pay with Apple Pay" button and authenticate a purchase through an iPhone and even an Apple Watch.

Users love to shop online using their Macs and with macOS the shopping experience in Safari is now even better. Apple Pay on the web makes it easy to make secure and private purchases when shopping on participating websites. You no longer need to share credit or debit card numbers with an online merchant and actual card numbers are not stored on your device, nor on Apple servers.
During its keynote presentation, Apple said that many merchants have already agreed to include Apple Pay on the web, with more expected to launch down the line. From a security angle, Apple promised that Apple Pay on macOS is as strong and encrypted as it is on mobile, thanks to the fact that you no longer have to store credit or debit card information in a browser.

For an in-depth dive into all of the new features of macOS Sierra, check out our WWDC keynote round-up.

Article Link: Apple Pay Coming to Safari With Touch ID Payment Confirmations Via iPhone

tmiw

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
Too bad it still needs specific retailers to support it. Would have been nice to be able to use AP with any website, even ones like Amazon that have competing services.

Reactions: Djbpwny
Comment

kdarling

macrumors P6
Too bad it still needs specific retailers to support it. Would have been nice to be able to use AP with any website, even ones like Amazon that have competing services.

Yeah, it would be universally usable to simply have it generate an account number and one-time CVV we could paste in or something.

Instead, this is not much different than the way that sites have to deliberately support Paypal or Google Wallet.

Ah well, it's the age of multiple methods, I guess. Just look at all the "sharing" icons that each website has to support these days, from Twitter to Facebook to Google+ to whatever.

Reactions: Djbpwny
Comment

Djbpwny

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2014
Who uses safari?
I use it quite often. Most of my friends with iDevices and/or Macs do.
[doublepost=1465849689][/doublepost]Why was this not the picture you used for the title?
AppleGotJokes.png

Comment

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Nice feature, though it will take a long time for retailers to jump on board

Comment

Paul McG

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Yeah, it would be universally usable to simply have it generate an account number and one-time CVV we could paste in or something.

Instead, this is not much different than the way that sites have to deliberately support Paypal or Google Wallet.

Ah well, it's the age of multiple methods, I guess. Just look at all the "sharing" icons that each website has to support these days, from Twitter to Facebook to Google+ to whatever.

Actually it's quite a bit different. Apple Pay is built on top of the 3D Secure and EMV Payment Tokenisation Standards (created by EuroPay, Visa and MasterCard but also implemented by Amex and others).

Essentially Apple Pay is generating a one time card number, but it is (cryptographically) tied to the particular purchase you are making, so merely being a number you can copy and paste wouldn't work.

While how the website detects and interacts with Safari might be Apple specific, everything from there back is standardised and there's nothing stopping other browsers doing essentially the same thing.

Comment

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
I use safari on iOS Everyday, but on Mac OS Chrome is the way better experience.
I wish I could agree with you, and I do use Chrome all day on my work PC, but somehow the design aesthetic of Chrome's tab UX feels all wrong on the Mac.

Comment

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
This is good news but it won't be integrated into many sites. Seems like every online retailer does the bare minimum.

Comment

atikalz

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2016
I wish I could agree with you, and I do use Chrome all day on my work PC, but somehow the design aesthetic of Chrome's tab UX feels all wrong on the Mac.
I like the chrome tabs with favicons way more. Main reason for not using safari.

Comment

tennisproha

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
I wish all websites that support PayPal would support Apple Pay. I would love to use it on Amazon and eBay.

Honestly, I feel Apple Pay is the best thing since sliced bread in terms of convenience, ease of use, and security. It's just too seamless. Def one thing Apple nailed the first time IMO. I just wish more merchants would jump on the wagon. Using it in-store is super fast.

Honestly, if you haven't tried it yet, give it a shot in-store, you'll be blown away by the convenience. Although, keep in my, if the store has implemented it correctly, you should not need to sign ANYTHING. All you do is Touch ID your iPhone to the NFC terminal; get instant confirmation and receipt on phone. Then get paper receipt. That's it. Takes less then a second. It takes longer for the store rep to hand you the paper receipt.

Comment

kdarling

macrumors P6
Actually it's quite a bit different. Apple Pay is built on top of the 3D Secure and EMV Payment Tokenisation Standards (created by EuroPay, Visa and MasterCard but also implemented by Amex and others).

Apple Pay itself (the code done by Apple) has nothing to do with EMV or tokenization. That's done by the credit card entities with their own secret code installed in the Secure Element.

Heck, the Secure Element code could get changed to send real account numbers... or even pictures of money instead of numbers... during NFC transactions, and Apple Pay would never know. It doesn't have to. All it knows is about the API to talk to the actual payment applets in the Secure Element.

While how the website detects and interacts with Safari might be Apple specific, everything from there back is standardised and there's nothing stopping other browsers doing essentially the same thing.

Umm, not sure what you mean. Can you explain in more detail?

To me, it sounds like Apple is simply treating Safari as an app with Apple Pay, same as any other such app, except for providing a Javascript API for web apps instead of displaying the UI itself.

If I'm right, each website still talks to whatever payment processor its owner has set up. And each one of those has its own API.

--

Which was my point: every time someone comes up with a new payment method, a website has to add code for it to work.

A more generic way would be for browsers to recognize common payment tag fields and offer to fill in a one-time token account info (similar to the way that most browsers do it now with a saved hardcoded account number) using the payment source of your choice.

Alas, every payment provider wants branding and lock-in, so unless someone writes some browser plug-ins to do this, it's not likely :)

Last edited:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.