Apple Pay could not be setup

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Brad Smith, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Brad Smith macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I'm having an issue with setting up Apple Pay on my new Series 2 watch. It was working perfectly on the previous watch. I restored the new one from the backup of the old one, and when I click to add the cards on the phone to the Watch, I get an error:

Could Not Set Up Apple Pay
    An error occurred while setting up Apple Pay.

Any ideas? I've rebooted both devices.

2. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

I had this same issue with my new series 2 watch, although I set it up as new instead of restoring from a backup. One thing I noticed is that in the settings it just said "wallet" instead of "wallet and Apple Pay". Since I had just set it up as a new watch I wiped it and set it up as a new watch again and this time I had no issues. It said "wallet and Apple Pay" and I had no trouble adding cards.

I saw another post on here from someone else with the same problem who had restored from backup. He said he wiped and re-restored his backup and after that it worked for him.

3. Brad Smith thread starter macrumors regular

I restored, and one of my two cards it prompted to setup during the regular watch setup this time. The other card I'm getting the same errors with again, but maybe that'll clear up once the apps install. That seems to take forever after a restore.

4. LbSigman macrumors member

I had the same problem. I had to reset the watch and set it up as a new watch instead. Pain in the rear for sure.