Apple Pay Could Soon Expand to Mexico

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Pay could soon be available in Mexico, based on reports from iPhone users in Mexico who have been able to add their Banregio cards to the Wallet app.

One user on Twitter whose tweet was shared by 9to5Mac was able to add his Banregio card to the Wallet app after setting his region to the United States. The card was able to be successfully added, and there was text included for verification purposes, but the verification process did not work as Apple Pay has not officially launched in the country.

Cards from banks other than Banregio were not able to be added to the Wallet app on the iPhone, suggesting Apple Pay in Mexico may be limited to Banregio at launch.

When Apple Pay launches in Mexico, it will be the second country in Latin America to support the payments service. Apple launched Apple Pay in Brazil in 2018, but has not expanded it to other Latin America countries. Apple Pay has also been available in the United States and Canada for years.

Apple maintains a complete list of the countries where Apple Pay is available on its support site, and we have a detailed Apple Pay roundup with everything you need to know about Apple's payments service.

Article Link: Apple Pay Could Soon Expand to Mexico

apparatchik

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
More than a few generations of iPhones came and went by without me being able to use Apple Pay... Finally, now I just hope Apple along with the banks launch a proper campaign to educate retail stores and convenience stores clerks about it..

NoleATL

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2016
I was in Puerto Vallarta for 8 days a few weeks back and it was ridiculous how many businesses claimed their credit card machines were down so you would have to use cash.

SgtLip

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2018
GREAT State of Florida
Instead of expanding it to other country's why not expand it in the USA? I am finding more and more places that will NOT accept Apple Pay. There are countless stores and restaurants that accept Samsung Pay but NOT Apple Pay.

I noticed tonight on the news W.H.O. is requesting people to pay with contactless payment methods instead of cash and credit cards due to the Coronavirus. I would LOVE to if they would accept Apple Pay.

I'm being told by the merchants that they don't want to pay the Apple Fees that come with Apple Pay. So they have just shut it off. I am starting to make my purchases at locations that ONLY accept Apple Pay. I was at a store the other day and tried today with Apple Pay. The cashier said they didn't accept Apple Pay so I refused the purchase and walked away.

jgdeschamps

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012
I know that Brazil is in South America, surrounded by Latin countries yet is it really still considered a Latin country?
If your country's main language is derived from Latin, then your country is Latin, or latin-influenced due to Rome's empire. The French, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese language derive from Latin.
USA citizens think that Latin refers only to the race of people that live in Central and South America, but this is due in part because Spain and Portugal had a lot of colonies here, thus leaving their latin influences in these regions. If it helps, Hispanic is a term used for people that speak Spanish.
- - Post merged: - -

I don't know if this is an indication that Apple Pay will be available here in Mexico. Statistics here have indicated that it is truly a minority that use debit and credit cards, and due to the implementation within the next months of new tax policies involving certified automatic invoice emission per card transactions imposed by the current government, a lot of people that do not agree with said policies will stop using them. PayPal is suffering from the new tax policies, so I highly doubt Apple is interested in this type of business here. But they have given us surprises before, and maybe that's why they are choosing a small, basically unknown bank.

Last edited:
Reactions: PlayUltimate

tmiw

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
I'm being told by the merchants that they don't want to pay the Apple Fees that come with Apple Pay. So they have just shut it off. I am starting to make my purchases at locations that ONLY accept Apple Pay. I was at a store the other day and tried today with Apple Pay. The cashier said they didn't accept Apple Pay so I refused the purchase and walked away.
My guess is that they're mistaking NFC transactions on debit cards being forced by software to run "as credit" with having to pay Apple directly. This can be a big issue as many stores tend to support debit routing (vs. using Visa or MC for everything) to try to cut back on their card fees.

Personally, I haven't really seen many places purposely disabling it around here. The usual issue is that some software update broke NFC and they haven't gotten around to fixing it yet.

I'm sorry but as a Mexican I found this comment hilarious, cards are accepted almost everywhere, even in some street market stalls.
I think this is something that's definitely YMMV. Even in CDMX (which seemed to accept cards a lot more compared to e.g. Puerto Vallarta) acceptance of cards wasn't as good as in the US--or at least wasn't made obvious, anyway. Of course, this might have very well changed in the last couple of years.

Reactions: jhfenton

rgomez

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2006
Aguascalientes, México
As others, I also have been waiting for this for years. But I don't hold my breath for this. Most places, even if the terminals allow it/have the tech, don't have NFC enabled, so even with contactless cards is not possible to pay.

It is true that a lot of business still do not accept credit cards, or electronic payments in general, but I would say that that is mostly convenience stores of the type "corner shop", as we say here. Restaurants, big stores, and so on, usually do take electronic payments. And a lot of smaller ones are using the non-bank-issued terminals to be able to charge using CC, so it is much more extended than someone said. Still not as in USA or Canada, but I would say that probably 50% or 60% of commerces can process electronic payments now.

Reactions: jhfenton

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
Instead of expanding it to other country's why not expand it in the USA? I am finding more and more places that will NOT accept Apple Pay. There are countless stores and restaurants that accept Samsung Pay but NOT Apple Pay.

I noticed tonight on the news W.H.O. is requesting people to pay with contactless payment methods instead of cash and credit cards due to the Coronavirus. I would LOVE to if they would accept Apple Pay.

Fake news alert!

Merchants couldn't have told you this because they don't pay ANY Apple Pay fees! The only fee, .015%, or about 15 cents on a $100 purchase, is charged to the bank processing it, (BTW banks don't mind paying this tiny amount as it is more than offset by the reduction in fraud, which is why nearly every single bank, credit union, etc., in the US has signed up to participate. ) Apple Pay is FREE for merchants to use it.

Fake news alert!

Reactions: konqerror

tmiw

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
Fake news alert!

Merchants couldn't have told you this because they don't pay ANY Apple Pay fees! The only fee, .015%, or about 15 cents on a $100 purchase, is charged to the bank processing it, (BTW banks don't mind paying this tiny amount as it is more than offset by the reduction in fraud, which is why nearly every single bank, credit union, etc., in the US has signed up to participate. ) Apple Pay is FREE for merchants to use it.

Fake news alert!
However, note the caveat I mentioned above. While it's not an issue with Apple Pay per se, most contactless payments in the US are currently done with Apple Pay and other mobile wallets, so it's easy for a merchant to assume that it is an issue inherent to those.

That said, it is possible to do debit routing with NFC, so it should just be a matter of talking to your POS vendor and/or processor if that's an issue.

Reactions: SgtLip

lartola

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2017
Oh my, didn’t you book all-in? Or better stay home! Mexico is still very much a cash country.. so good luck with it.
Not entirely true. Many places in Mexico do accept credit cards, especially in tourist areas, and their terminals have contactless enabled so they actually can accept apple pay even now. I‘ve been using it regularly since 2016.

What the merchants told you is a blatant lie. Merchants don’t pay any fees for accepting apple pay. All they need is to have contactless readers and have them enabled, and that’s what many places don’t do in the US: they either they lack such readers or deliberately disable them. Proof of this is that Apple Pay has worked from day one everywhere there is a contactless reader, even in the countries where apple hasn’t officially rolled out the service, and the issue was always which cards can and can’t be added to wallet to be able to use it. Banks do pay a fee to Apple to let their customers add their cards to Wallet, but that’s another story.

I'm sorry but as a Mexican I found this comment hilarious, cards are accepted almost everywhere, even in some street market stalls.
THat’s a misconception many Americans have because they only travel to Puerto Vallarta, a small town where lots of places are still cash only. However, Puerto Vallarta is hardly if at all representative of the credit card situation in Mexico.

As others, I also have been waiting for this for years. But I don't hold my breath for this. Most places, even if the terminals allow it/have the tech, don't have NFC enabled, so even with contactless cards is not possible to pay.

It is true that a lot of business still do not accept credit cards, or electronic payments in general, but I would say that that is mostly convenience stores of the type "corner shop", as we say here. Restaurants, big stores, and so on, usually do take electronic payments. And a lot of smaller ones are using the non-bank-issued terminals to be able to charge using CC, so it is much more extended than someone said. Still not as in USA or Canada, but I would say that probably 50% or 60% of commerces can process electronic payments now.
Actually most of the standalone bank-provided POS terminals used in Mexico, as well as many portable devices such as Clip or iZettle already do have NFC enabled. It is only the pinpads used at medium sized and large retailers that have the NFC turned off, but those places can certainly be avoided entirely. We do have enough places where apple pay can be used. We have a lot more than the US did in 2014 when apple pay debuted there.

Will it make it easier for Mexican citizens to send remittances back to Mexico from money earned while living in the US ?
It does. Mexican nationals living in the US can already send remittances using apple pay through western union’s app.

Last edited:
Reactions: jhfenton and SgtLip

lartola

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2017
I was in Puerto Vallarta for 8 days a few weeks back and it was ridiculous how many businesses claimed their credit card machines were down so you would have to use cash.
They prefer cash because they can avoid taxes by not including that income in their tax return.

I know that Brazil is in South America, surrounded by Latin countries yet is it really still considered a Latin country?
Yes, Brazil is considered to be part of Latin America. IF you want to refer only to the spanish speaking countries, that’s Hispanic America.

Bangregio...lol the main banks in Mexico are: Citibanamex, BBVA & Banorte.
But they’re never the first in anything. The first bank to have NFC in Mexico was Banbajio, a small bank, in 2015. Now the first to have apple pay will be, it seems, Banregio. Another small bank.

I think this is something that's definitely YMMV. Even in CDMX (which seemed to accept cards a lot more compared to e.g. Puerto Vallarta) acceptance of cards wasn't as good as in the US--or at least wasn't made obvious, anyway. Of course, this might have very well changed in the last couple of years.
More places accept them than it appears at first sight. You have to ask, they don’t always have the signs up. Likewise for contactless: while it would appear at first sight that it doesn’t exist at all, that’s definitely not the case and lots of places do have it.

Fake news alert!

Fake news alert!
Exactly. And that’s why Apple Pay worked at stores everywhere on day one. Even in the countries where Apple Pay hasn’t rolled it out, it still works so long as you set it up with a supported card.

Last edited:

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
My guess is that they're mistaking NFC transactions on debit cards being forced by software to run "as credit" with having to pay Apple directly. This can be a big issue as many stores tend to support debit routing (vs. using Visa or MC for everything) to try to cut back on their card fees.
Pin debit works perfectly fine over Apple Pay/NFC, assuming the merchant's hardware is properly set up. I think the Durbin amendment requires support.

Even if the bank or debit network can't handle EMV, the terminal just reads the track 2 equivalent data from contactless and it behaves identical to a swiped card.

jaytv111

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2007
Apple can't really do much about retailers that don't accept contactless/Apple Pay. Some of them, like Walmart, have chosen to keep Apple Pay and contactless out so that you use their payment app (Walmart Pay). Apple can only say to retailers "hey, we make things easier and more convenient, so please use contactless". Contactless payments aren't even Apple-specific, it works with Google Pay and some credit cards have RFID embedded, so really Apple and others just have to say "use this standardized technology please!" Also Samsung Pay isn't really per se accepted at stores, it uses MST technology to emulate a card swipe, so to "accept" Samsung Pay you just need to take credit card swipes. Apple uses NFC technology which has to be built into the reader and enabled in software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.