Apple pay debit pin

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mac7, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

When using a debit card with apple pay, does the terminal still required me to enter a pin and asks me if I want cash back? Or does it skip that?

2. Scott1012 macrumors member

It has for me. Maybe there is a threshold dollar amount that requires it, but so far every time I have used Apple Pay it was not as seamless as touching the home button for a fingerprint scan. I had to put in my PIN and decline cash back.

Nevertheless, I still love it!

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Not all store registers are the same, some have the option for Credit or Debit and the cashier typically will ask you beforehand and they press the credit option on their end allowing your to use Apple Pay/Google Wallet.

The problem is places like Home Depot (i used to be a cashier there) have a single button on the cashiers screen for Debit/Credit, we press it and the customer has to swipe the card, enter pin or cancel to run it as credit.

The register needs an update to make it two different buttons or to recognize when NFC payment is being taken.

If you are using Apple Pay with a credit card then the problem goes away, it only affects the debit card with visa/mastercard logo. This is why Apple Pay is working in many places that are not advertised by Apple.